PDA

View Full Version : Idiot homosexual alert

Russ
18-10-2003, 11:14
I've been putting off posting this for a good few weeks now but have decided to open it up to you lot.

A month ago a new guy started in the office next to me. He seemed decent enough but it became pretty apparent that he was gay. Nothing wrong in that, if you don't mind blokes camping it up Graham Norton/Julian Clary-style. Let's refer to this guy as 'C'.

As most people who I've worked with know, I always keep a Bible next to my PC and if things get a little slow, I flip through a few pages and have a read.

One day C came in and saw my Bible and came out with "You don't believe in all that bigotted rubbish do you?" I explained I was born-again ever since then he's been very cold towards me. He walks in to the office and complains about how the Church has persecuted gays over the years and ever since the recent outcry over the Church of England's stance on gay priests (even though I'm nothing to do with CoE) he's stepped it up a gear. I've spoken to the department head who told me as long as he isn't using offensive language or making personal comments towards me then there's little I can do. I'd feel awkard taking it to the next level as he does his job very well and his work-rate makes my work a lot easier.

He scours Christian websites looking for anti-gay comments and loudly derides them when he finds a controversial enough article.

I've tried to explain to C that not all faiths are the same and it's not actually homosexuality per se that the Bible teaches against but he won't have it, he just comes out with crap such as "Oh why don't you just get it over with and cut my throat".

Sheesh! I've been accused of racism here in the past and now apparently I'm a narrow-minded bigot!

Ramrod
18-10-2003, 11:18
So he's given you a label based in your faith!

I wonder how far he would get if you were a Muslim?

Richard M
18-10-2003, 11:19
It's strange how gay men behave I think.

I mean, I'm a hetrosexual but that doesn't mean that I go on about it all the time.

"Oh yeah, I'm straight actually...it's just something that I am and cannot change" :rofl:

Nidge
18-10-2003, 11:40
I've been putting off posting this for a good few weeks now but have decided to open it up to you lot.

A month ago a new guy started in the office next to me. He seemed decent enough but it became pretty apparent that he was gay. Nothing wrong in that, if you don't mind blokes camping it up Graham Norton/Julian Clary-style. Let's refer to this guy as 'C'.

As most people who I've worked with know, I always keep a Bible next to my PC and if things get a little slow, I flip through a few pages and have a read.

One day C came in and saw my Bible and came out with "You don't believe in all that bigotted rubbish do you?" I explained I was born-again ever since then he's been very cold towards me. He walks in to the office and complains about how the Church has persecuted gays over the years and ever since the recent outcry over the Church of England's stance on gay priests (even though I'm nothing to do with CoE) he's stepped it up a gear. I've spoken to the department head who told me as long as he isn't using offensive language or making personal comments towards me then there's little I can do. I'd feel awkard taking it to the next level as he does his job very well and his work-rate makes my work a lot easier.

He scours Christian websites looking for anti-gay comments and loudly derides them when he finds a controversial enough article.

I've tried to explain to C that not all faiths are the same and it's not actually homosexuality per se that the Bible teaches against but he won't have it, he just comes out with crap such as "Oh why don't you just get it over with and cut my throat".

Sheesh! I've been accused of racism here in the past and now apparently I'm a narrow-minded bigot!

Russ, everbody to themselves mate, I've got mates who are gay, I've got mates who go to church they all get on fine. I'd never call anyone who goes to church or anyone who's gay, their choice.

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 11:43

If he made a similar comment to a Moslem, he'd be risking arrest!

Such blatant sheeshing.......I am deeply offended!
:eeek:

Defiant
18-10-2003, 11:46
So he's given you a label based in your faith!

I wonder how far he would get if you were a Muslim?

Thats a very good point and isn't their a new religous law that prevents this kind of thing or is that another thing just for muslims

Maggy
18-10-2003, 11:47
Ignore the g*t.

If you can't do that then be so resolutely cheerful to all his comments.Wish him a nice day at each and every opportunity.Just be a nice as pie no matter how disgusting his behaviour.Eventually he'll either calm down and forget about it or he'll get so thoroughly p*ssed at not getting the reaction he wants that he'll go too far and get himself into deeper waters.

After all you have done nothing wrong and you need not apologise for anything.If he is stupid enough to judge you without finding out what sort of person you are,then he is the idiot.Just don't stoop down to his level.

Who in their right mind enters a new workplace and immediately begins a vendetta like this?A nutter who probably left their last place of employment due to some similar situation.

I'm usually a champion of gay rights and equality but sometimes the gay community is it's own worst enemy and just as likely to indulge in stupid kneejerk reactions as straights.

I've said it before why the h*ll can't we all treat each other with respect and as PEOPLE not as minorities.

When I wake up in the morning I'm not concerned about what minority or ethnic group I belong to.All I think about is why do I have to get up and when did a nest of mice decide to take up residence in my mouth ;)
In fact I leave all that at home because I don't actually care that much.I just want to live my life and I want everyone else to be happy too.Life is too short for this kind of crap in the workplace.

So my advice Russ is to ignore him and not to rise to his pettyness.Eventually he will be told to tone it down as everyone will get fed up with him IF you are seen not to be too bothered.

Incog. :luv:

bob_builder
18-10-2003, 11:48
Russ, I guess there is not a lot you can do. You can be treated similarly by an anti-Christian who is not gay.

All you can do is show him that you have nothing against him as a person and love him as Jesus would - maybe he will eventually come round to thinking you are not such a bad guy :)

Caspar
18-10-2003, 11:49
Russ, sounds like you've a bit of a problem there, can you see it just 'going away'? You boss' comment about personal comments etc..against you...well Mr C's request to you about you cutting his throat....that's sounding pretty personal, and centered around your perceived beliefs on homosexual people. Surely this is grounds to get his direct boss to talk to him; tho not sure if this would do any good or just make things worse.

One thing tho, can we try not to stereotype homosexual people into this MrC's attitude against religion or religious people. I know a few homesexual people, male and female and non have made anti-religious comments, to me. Fair enough I don't keep a Bible by my PC, although that does sound like a calming good idea sometimes.

Infact, my workplace contains quite a few different religions from CoE, to Muslim, Hindu, and atheists. It's amazing how people from different religions and ethic origins can work 8 hours a day, side by side, with no bull differences or problems.
So it does annoy me how one MrC can upset this ideal and I would have to label him the Bigot, and gives homosexual people a bad stereotypical name.

Defiant
18-10-2003, 11:54
or you could just laugh it off. If I were in the office and new what a prat he was I'd have bought a bible for work just to **** him off lol

Xaccers
18-10-2003, 12:03
Have you told him that you find his comments offensive?
Re-itterate that you are not CoE or Catholic and he obviously doesn't have a clue about what your faith means.

Page
18-10-2003, 12:09
Take the opportunity to disciple him.

He is obviously seaching for something.

Don't think about the fact that some people find homosexuality offensive. There are a great number of thriving churches in my community that are made up of mainly homosexual people.

After all, Jesus said
Love one another

edited to fix my quote box :dunce:

Russ
18-10-2003, 13:35
Have you told him that you find his comments offensive?
Re-itterate that you are not CoE or Catholic and he obviously doesn't have a clue about what your faith means.

I've already explained this to him but he says "it's all the same thing".

As for ignoring him, I've been doing that for about 2 weeks now but he gets so worked up when he rants, he gets quite an audience and of course he'll perform for them. It's not me who needs to ignore him!

Defiant
18-10-2003, 13:37
Have a polite word with him outside work

Nor
18-10-2003, 13:58
hehe I can just see it now. Someone up in court for arguing about how the muslim faith is wrong with a co-worker.

I'm sure you have but tell him you don't want to continually have the debate. If he still continues its bordering on harrassment and make sure your bosses sort it out.

Nor
18-10-2003, 14:07
Oh btw, as for the title of this thread don't think its right. Tried writing this about 5 times now and I am finding it hard to get accross the point I want :) Not really managing to get my thoughts onto the screen, so will just leave it with this last paragraph which kinda encapsulates what I was trying to say....

If it was a hetrosexual, like me, who held the same views as this fella and argued as he does. You wouldn't start a thread saying idiot hetrosexual alert. So I don't think your thread title is appropriate.

Maggy
18-10-2003, 14:17

As for ignoring him, I've been doing that for about 2 weeks now but he gets so worked up when he rants, he gets quite an audience and of course he'll perform for them. It's not me who needs to ignore him!

Then you are doing the right thing.The more he rants in front of witnesses the more ammo you have when it comes to making a complaint.In fact if you do have a good section head then they may well end up having a word long before you 'officially' complain.I know it's hard but you must NOT react in any way and least of having any kind of outburst.You are in the right he is in the wrong.

If it becomes hard just visualise him in the most ridiculous situation ie on the toilet bowl with his trousers round his ankles.When my son and daughter were being bullied at school I taught them to make up silly little derisive rhymes about their bully that they could secretly say to themselves.It worked a treat.

The very best you can do is to just smile and smile as if he is the most amusing person in the world.

However DO make a diary of every little incident.It will help if and when you do make an official complaint.

Incog :)

Maggy
18-10-2003, 14:20
Oh btw, as for the title of this thread don't think its right. He's an idiot for continually arguing about how your faith is wrong even when you've ask him not to. He's not an idiot for being a homosexual who holds these views. Finding it hard to find the right words to get accross the point I'm trying to make really, edited this a few times. Guess what I'm trying to say overall is that being homosexual isn't really a factor in his idiocy. Definately a factory in forming his opinions, but being gay is why he's an idiot, its cos he continually spouts rubbish and won't let it lie even when asked to.

If it was a hetrosexual, like me, who held the same views as this fella and argued as he does. You wouldn't start a thread saying idiot hetrosexual alert. So I don't think your thread title is appropriate.

Actually it does because as Russ explained the man keeps going on about how Christians have persecuted gays and making out that Russ is like those Christians.It was the man in question who made it a Gay issue.

Incog. :)

Nor
18-10-2003, 14:21
Yes... but why is it important to put accross the message that hes an idiot homosexual instead of just an idiot ?

aliferste
18-10-2003, 14:58
I would tell him straight that you find his attitude offensive and rude! tell him that you have nothing against him but that if he continues his ridicule then you will be forced to report him for harrasment.
That is if you have alreday tried the nicely nicely approach.
Your face will burn as you say it an dyou will be nervous , once you have said it do not give him a chance to speak but walk away!!
he will probably iether apologise later or never talk to you again.

Iether way ..problem solved :)

erol
18-10-2003, 15:16
I agree with NOR re the thread title.

Russ if he is espousing his views to others and it bugs you then tough really. He is entitled to his views and within office policy he is entitled to espouse them to others.

If the guy next to me continualy espoused views that 'capitalism was the best thing since sliced bread and anyone who thought otherwise was just plain dumb and responsible for all the worlds problems', I might not like it. I might well feel that it is 'personal' against me but at the end of the day he is free to espouse his views and others to choose to listen of not.

If he is haranguing _you_ then that is harrasment. If he is just talking to others then it is not imo.

I would try and follow incog's advise. Maybe ask to be moved to sit further from him, if that is practicle.

The world is full of idiots of all faiths, religions and sexualities. Do you want your 'boses' to protect you from all of them ?

Just my 2pcs worth.

Rise above it.
Turn the other cheek.

Bex
18-10-2003, 15:21
russ this is a horrible thing to have to go through at work, however, as a christian you kind of have to get used to it, unfortunately.....
i was bullied at school for being a christian and it turned me away..........it comes from misunderstanding the biblical stance on these things.......

if he contiunes this, definately speak to your department head person again and ask that he/she has a word with this person, you arent persecuting him for his views on life, so he has no right to do the same to you

and don't forget what we have discussed before about reactions.......

hope it all gets sorted

Bex
18-10-2003, 15:24
[QUOTE=erol]<snip>Russ if he is espousing his views to others and it bugs you then tough really. He is entitled to his views and within office policy he is entitled to espouse them to others.[QUOTE]

i'm sorry erol but i disagree, if russ were to proclaim his beliefs in the same way, and denounce anyone who went again them, he would be firmly told off for "preaching" this guy is doing exactly the same he is "preaching" about his way of life and this is wrong

Russ
18-10-2003, 15:27
<snip>

What makes it difficult is that in front of others his views are generic - they aren't aimed at me directly. I'm sure he'd like me to be that narrow-minded bigotted Christian zealot we all get annoyed at but that's just not me.

I don't really have a promblem with him speaking out against gays persecuted by the church - after all, it happens sadly - but for him to imply that I'm involved with that is quite out of order. Until he knew I was a Christian he was absolutely fine with me.

As for the title of this thread, I think it's appropriate - he's the one who made it a 'gay' issue.

Stuart
18-10-2003, 15:32

How very un-prejudiced of him. Not.

Russ, I would say give it a week or so more, and if he carries on after that report him to his boss (or your human resources dept). Your company probably has procedures in place for dealing with sort of thing.

Russ
18-10-2003, 15:41
Well apparently unless he makes a directly offensive comment to me in front of others there's not much I can do.

Bex
18-10-2003, 15:46
Well apparently unless he makes a directly offensive comment to me in front of others there's not much I can do.

but would the same be said if you sat there going on about christianity wihtout anyone asking you? methinks not

Xaccers
18-10-2003, 16:11

Does he know that tho?
If you tell him to please keep his opinions to himself as they're getting to you you'll report him, he may back off

Bifta
18-10-2003, 16:33

Then why don't you just ignore him? Are you THAT worried about what other's think of you? Don't bother trying to justify anything to him, just ignore him, make him see that whatever his actions are they have no effect ... I'm sure he'll soon realise that if he's not getting the desired effect from his victim then he might also realise whatever he's doing is pointless. Failing that, play him at his own game, tell people you brought the bible in to fend off his unwanted advances ;)

Russ
18-10-2003, 17:33
Failing that, play him at his own game, tell people you brought the bible in to fend off his unwanted advances ;)

That's actually not a bad idea :D

Chimaera
18-10-2003, 17:54
Why not ask him out for a drink after work - it may be that he likes playing to an audience, and if he gets to know you better, he may just decide to shut up. :)
I tried this myself a while back with a woman who was making my life hell at work - to my amazement she agreed to meet me, and she admitted she had been downright nasty to me (although she didn't know why). After that things improved drastically.

Shaun
18-10-2003, 18:59
Russ, I'm sorry for the hassle your getting off this guy, it's people like him that make life hard for normal people like me :(

Bifta
18-10-2003, 19:03
it's people like him that make life hard for normal people like me :(

normal?

Nor
18-10-2003, 19:10
Whats normal Dellwear ?

Shaun
18-10-2003, 19:15
normal?

Normal gay people like me, who keep themselves to themselves and try to just get on in life.

People like the guy Russ has mentioned get us all (gays) a bad name.

I guess its just like the people from my local Church that knock on my door every other week trying to get me to go to church on Sunday. I don't lump all people that believe in something together, I certainly don't associate Russ with them but some do, those people also associate me with people like the one this thread is about, thus making it harder for me and people like me to live without prejudice. :(

Bex
18-10-2003, 19:18
prejudice of any kind is not a nice thing........

having meet you dell, i think your a complete darling....

the problem is everyone seems to put labels on people, when we don't fit nicely into all labels cos we are all indiviuals

Nor
18-10-2003, 19:22
Good answer dell, top man :)

Atomic22
18-10-2003, 19:26
russ a very nice way around this problem is to take a "dictaphone" voice recorder type thingy to work with you and when he starts on one of his rants just switch it on and point it towards him........you need not say a word and it will make him "put up or shut up"....
if he harrasses you it will be on tape or he will think twice and keep his bigoted mouth shut.....

imback
18-10-2003, 20:03
He's given you a clue what to do next man, go for it :D

Say to him, lookk mate I don't have a problem with your personal choices with regards to your sexuality so can you please stop airing your problems with my personal choice of christianity, and if that don't work, well throat , cut you know :D

Ramrod
18-10-2003, 20:16
russ a very nice way around this problem is to take a "dictaphone" voice recorder type thingy to work with you and when he starts on one of his rants just switch it on and point it towards him........you need not say a word and it will make him "put up or shut up"....
if he harrasses you it will be on tape or he will think twice and keep his bigoted mouth shut.....I like that idea but it is a bit confrontational.
Maby if you just discussed the whole concept of false and unfair assumptions/ closed minded attitudes with particular reference to how homosexuals are treated (something that he is sure to have experienced) and then relate that to how he is treating you he might see the light.
.....I know......rose tinted glasses....:)

Russ
18-10-2003, 20:37
He's given you a clue what to do next man, go for it :D

Say to him, lookk mate I don't have a problem with your personal choices with regards to your sexuality so can you please stop airing your problems with my personal choice of christianity, and if that don't work, well throat , cut you know :D

I've spoken to him twice and both times he's come back at me with something like "I know you just want to nuke the lot of us" etc

Bex
18-10-2003, 20:59
I've spoken to him twice and both times he's come back at me with something like "I know you just want to nuke the lot of us" etc

this bloke sounds a bit paranoid :erm:

Russ
18-10-2003, 21:00
I can only guess he's had bad experiences in the past and decided we're all like it :(

Bex
18-10-2003, 21:08
I can only guess he's had bad experiences in the past and decided we're all like it :(

well as annoying as he is being to you, maybe you need to take the most Christ like approach...and teach him not all christians are like that

Graham
19-10-2003, 00:39
Oh dear. I've just read this thread and it seems that what you've got there, Russ, is a "Militant Queer". IMO they're just as bad as Evangelising Christians, in fact they seem to take their cue *from* that sort of person!

Unfortunately a lot of the time there's very little you can do about either sort, there's almost no point in trying to engage them in reasoned debate because they've already made their minds up, the only thing you can do is to not respond to their, well, "trolling" for want of a better word, and wait until they get tired and go away.

imback
19-10-2003, 01:51

Not your problems thoug mate to be fair I have met you and you are a nice guy, you didn't try to get me join your cult ( joke :D). If he aint going to stop this kind of behaviour infront of you then I suggest you advise your senior that you are finding this very stressfull position to be in while at work, and feel it should stop.

Other than that send the boys round ;) :D

Russ
19-10-2003, 10:01
Other than that send the boys round ;) :D

And that's supposed to stop him how?? ;) :D

Atomic22
19-10-2003, 18:42
regarding my voice recorder idea
I like that idea but it is a bit confrontational
naaaaahhh holding up a tape recorder isnt confrontational....
giving the 2hat a smack in the gob (deserved) is confrontational..
the H.S.E class this as workplace bullying and its illegal so just report him to your superior , if they do nothing report them to the H.S.E

Ramrod
19-10-2003, 18:48
And that's supposed to stop him how?? ;) :DWell, if he aint got no knees then he can't get to work.....:D

Salu
19-10-2003, 19:55
Maybe he has had a personal experience of the "Church" or a bunch of Christians judging him and that is what has made him so vehemently vociferous? First-hand pain... A lot of Christians judge gays rather than love them (and non-Christians as well) Especially as the established church can't even agree. God may not condone the act of homosexual intimacy (depending on your interpretation) but we as Christians (and I am one) are not called to do anything other than love them and accept them as indeed anyone else.

Sin is sin in God's eyes. It's us who catorgorises it depending on our upbringing/morals/experience/pain etc etc.

Russ. Remember Christians are going to get more and more persecuted in the last days. This is only the start.....

I wonder if it would be worth saying to him that if you were very anti gay. How would he appreciate it if you were to come and harass him for being homosexual and use him as a public punchbag?

Have you been too inert with your reaction to his behaviour because your intention was to not strengthen his perception of Christians? Maybe you should shout a little back?

Just a couple of thoughts....

Salu

Russ
19-10-2003, 20:22
Maybe he has had a personal experience of the "Church" or a bunch of Christians judging him and that is what has made him so vehemently vociferous? First-hand pain...

I think you've hot the nail right on the head there.

A lot of Christians judge gays rather than love them

Spot on again!

Maybe you should shout a little back?

What, and be accused of ramming the Good news down peoples' throats?? :spin:

Niles Crane
19-10-2003, 21:49
Russ D, you lot amuse me.
Instead of coming here moaning and making people feel sorry for you, why dont you tell the guy where to shove it and explain everything. However much of a moron he may be, he'll probably listen to what you have to say. Why can you come here and say all this, and yet not do so to this guys face?
All talk and no show.

Russ
19-10-2003, 22:00
Russ D, you lot amuse me.

Why thank you! :)

Instead of coming here moaning and making people feel sorry for you, why dont you tell the guy where to shove it and explain everything.

Oh right, so you weren't being endearing.

making people feels sorry for me? Er no actually, I wanted other people's opinions. I consider the majority of people on here to be level-headed and wanted to know what they'd all think.

Why can you come here and say all this, and yet not do so to this guys face?

Because this is my job we're talking about - with a 2 and a half month old daughter I can't afford to be involved in any friction at work.

All talk and no show.

A good way of describing James Whale on Talk Sport, what a load of rubbish :spin:

Niles Crane
19-10-2003, 22:07
Russ D, believe it or not; i am being endearing.
Take the guy to one side some time, and explain. If the guys disrupting your work (as he obviously is, and infact disrupting your life in general) then he needs putting in his place. Theres no other way of dealing with it, unless you just plan to hope it goes away, or you have some cunning plan to get the guy fired...............or worse ;)

Russ
19-10-2003, 22:09
Read the whole thread: each time I take him to one side and discuss it he gets defensive straight from the off and thinks I'm just being patronising.

Perhaps if I just pretended to come on to him it would shut him up??

I've never come on to a bloke before, should I take lessons???

DELLWEAR!!! Your services are required!!!!!

edit - did I really just post all that??? :rolleyes: :spin:

Ramrod
19-10-2003, 22:17
DELLWEAR!!! Your services are required!!!!!

edit - did I really just post all that??? :rolleyes: :spin::rofl:

danielf
19-10-2003, 22:29
Russ,

How well do you get on with your other colleagues? Is there someone who could have a word with this bloke in your place? Maybe, if a third person did the talking for you, the person doing the damage wouldn't get all confrontational and be persuaded into thinking about how what he's doing affects you?

Nor
19-10-2003, 22:32
Hit him with yer bible, handily located on your desk so everyone knows you are a christian.

Stuart
19-10-2003, 22:39
Hit him with yer bible, handily located on your desk so everyone knows you are a christian.
Well, if he aint got no knees then he can't get to work.....:D
Russ, maybe you could combine the above two posts and kneecap him with your bible?

Shaun
19-10-2003, 22:42
I think you should just thump him, if hes a girly poof (which he sound's like he is) He'll prolly just cry and call for his mum to collect him ;)

Lew
19-10-2003, 23:03

Now that would give bible bashing a whole new meaning :D

carlingman
19-10-2003, 23:07
Hi Russ,

Have another quiet word with them and perhaps drop a big hint you are going to go to a Manager over this and then try ignoring them.

If this fails and doesnt improve the situation go to the Manager but make sure you have someone who can substaniate your claim.

I seem to recall not too long ago they hauled you in over some innocent comments/conversation about a Black work colleague and tried insinuating you were being racist.

Failing that if the company is that petty and thinks the above is fair game amongst employees then start looking for another job as it seems they dont value their employees very well.

:)

quadplay
20-10-2003, 00:39
Just point him towards http://www.yourallgay.com/ :rofl:

Nemesis
20-10-2003, 10:32
Just point him towards http://www.yourallgay.com/ :rofl:
Russ,

I sympathise with your position, but you've stated that he does this for the 'audience' and the attention. Is this really directed at you?

Be the bigger Man and ignore him, the chances are that he will begin to pi$$ others off and they too will complain.

By the way, how is your daughter ?

Jon M
20-10-2003, 11:23
hi all, i'm a NTHW n00b and a christian.. after finally getting through the whole thread.. whew!! i must admit i'm pleasantly surprised to find the vast majority with a very unbiased viewpoint on this issue.. i'm not really adding anything that hasn't been said before.. i just thought i'd stand up as another christian who isn't "homophobic" or "anti-gay". i have gay friends and i'm encouraged that the other christians here seem to have what is in my opinion the correct biblical understanding.. which is one of love and acceptance.
As a christian I would be a hypocrite if I condemned anyone else because of sexual sin, because I know that I'm as guilty before God as anyone else.
I'd like to echo bexy's comment that a Christ like example is all that is required of us.. treat this guy as you would like to be treated. If he continues to reject and despise you.. then let him.. to use a biblical term.. he is: heaping burning coals upon his own head.

Jon

etccarmageddon
20-10-2003, 11:35
in my opinion this sounds like unfair harrasment in the work place and could be putting Russ under stress.

It is entirely unfair to hassle someone because of their religious beliefs in a place where they have no ability to walk away from the argument and/or speak as free as they would in a public place. For example, if Russ was in the pub he say anything to this prat and the worse that would happen is he's be booted out of the pub - in the work place Russ has to be careful not to get into trouble with the boss.

Russ, I think you should look into the grievance procedure and perhaps ask to be relocated as you are being harrassed by someone due to THEIR religious beliefs/opinions - ie. the problem isnt your beliefs it's actually this plonker's beliefs that are the problem.

but...
"Because this is my job we're talking about - with a 2 and a half month old daughter I can't afford to be involved in any friction at work."

makes it a little difficult!

perhaps a little reverse phycology could be used... subtley take the p out of him by constantly telling everyone he's wonderful cos his unique insight into life is helping you to come to terms with being a closet hetrosexual - if you do it well, eventually everyone will be laughing at him.

in my opinion he's a bully.

basa
20-10-2003, 11:39
Russ

Instead of taking him to one side and talking to him.....why don't you confront him in public (i.e. with the office as an audience) and ask him straight out if he is accusing you personally of being a bigot ?? Adding for good measure that as a known christian his comments tend imply that you are.

Then watch him squirm in denying it or out and out accuse you !!

Russ
20-10-2003, 11:48
Actaully Basa's suggestion seems to be the best so far. Thanks for all your comments but I think that one clinches it! If he starts today I'll try it and report back here :)

And btw Nem, Alyssa's doing fine ta :D

Check the photos in www.russelldavid.moonfruit.com for a better look :)

Chris
20-10-2003, 12:08
hi all, i'm a NTHW n00b and a christian.. after finally getting through the whole thread.. whew!! i must admit i'm pleasantly surprised to find the vast majority with a very unbiased viewpoint on this issue.. <snip> Jon
We have passionate debates from time to time, but we're all friends here and as a Christian myself I've never felt persecuted by other nthw forum members.

Russ - Basa has a good point, challenging him to 'put up or shut up' ought to draw a line under it, but do be aware of what others have said about treating him as Jesus would have. Jesus was never afraid to challenege people to say openly what they believed about him in secret, but he was also willing to suffer the consequences when people took him up on it (booted out of his home synagogue, declared a blasphemer and ultuimately executed for his trouble). Challenge this bloke, but if it doesn't stop him, you have to be willing to 'turn the other cheek' and put up with it.

Salu
20-10-2003, 16:09
Actaully Basa's suggestion seems to be the best so far. Thanks for all your comments but I think that one clinches it! If he starts today I'll try it and report back here

Actually, that's what I was alluding to.....not suggesting you preach.

What, and be accused of ramming the Good news down peoples' throats??

I wonder if it would be worth saying to him that if you were very anti gay. How would he appreciate it if you were to come and harass him for being homosexual and use him as a public punchbag?

Have you been too inert with your reaction to his behaviour because your intention was to not strengthen his perception of Christians? Maybe you should shout a little back?
Just a couple of thoughts....

Salu

Atomic22
20-10-2003, 19:09
Hi Russ,
I seem to recall not too long ago they hauled you in over some innocent comments/conversation about a Black work colleague and tried insinuating you were being racist.
Failing that if the company is that petty and thinks the above is fair game amongst employees then start looking for another job as it seems they dont value their employees very well.
:)
yeh i recall the last grief you got at work as well russ....it seems you work for a crap firm and should be seeking different employment.....they seem to employ too many idiots and jobsworths.
last time they believed you were a racist because some woman overheard and misread a conversation you were having........why not try and get this same person to overhear the crap hes throwing at you and report him for bullying?

hobbie
21-10-2003, 03:26
I desperately want to help Russ in this, but isn't using a dictaphone to tape someone without their knowledge/consent illegal?

Russ
21-10-2003, 07:48
No, as long as one party is aware is the recording I believe, but to be honest I'm not really the type of person who'd do that. I'm still going to go with what Basa suggested :)

zoombini
21-10-2003, 09:28
AFAIKR using a dictaphone will not be illegal if he shows/tells him in the first place, only if the other party was not aware of it.

As for the comments on Russ asking to be moved, why should he, the other guy should be moved.

imback
21-10-2003, 11:28
And that's supposed to stop him how?? ;) :D

:D :D :D

Maggy
25-10-2003, 08:11
So have you used any of the suggestions yet Russ?

I hope that what ever you decide does not make the situation any worse.

Incog. :)