PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable Incompetence

etccarmageddon
18-10-2003, 10:18
Earlier this week I cancelled my BB service.

Yesterday I got a letter from *** ******* Roger K Edit: Name removed at request of thread starter (customer relations manager) telling me "if you think you can get better value elsewhere - think again. plus loads of points about how the phone service is cheaper, TV is cheaper and how wonderful Front Row is etc... GREAT STUFF ZOE BUT I HAVE STAND ALONE CABLE MODEM!!!! which the daft wench doesnt even mention in the letter.

"we appreciate you as a customer etc... but if we dont hear from you then we will still proceed with the instruction to pick up the set top box"

- *** WAKE UP - I DONT HAVE A SET TOP BOX!

OK HERE'S THE GOOD BIT... EVERYTHING PRIOR TO THIS IS ALMOST FORGIVABLE (OK SO THEY COULDNT EVEN BE ARSED T0 GET HER LETTER SYSTEM RIGHT BUT WHAT DOES IT MATTER). (i'm not shouting)

"We hope you will think twice about leaving us. Call us on 0800 nnn nnnn. We're open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 5.30pm Saturday"

OK SO THIS IS THE BEST BIT - it's 10am sat morning and I ring the number....

"our customer developmet department is currently closed - our opening times are monday to friday 9am to 5pm - please call back during these times"

LMAO!!!! this is pathetic, not only are you unable to write to me re the actual services I have but you cant even put down your correct opening hours.

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 10:32
Hi

I work in ***'s department, although the main line into this department is closed, I am on duty today.

I've sent you a PM.

etccarmageddon
18-10-2003, 10:33
cheers

Russ
18-10-2003, 10:50
Keep us updated on how this goes please :D

{FU}Fubar
18-10-2003, 11:46
Lmao a complete communications company not doing too well communicating Ahahahahahahahah Irony

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 11:50
Lmao a complete communications company not doing too well communicating Ahahahahahahahah Irony

I work in that department....this is a simple oversight, the wrong letter seems to have been generated.
I have offered to take on the matter that lies behind this and try to get it resolved.

{FU}Fubar
18-10-2003, 12:16
I work in that department....this is a simple oversight, the wrong letter seems to have been generated.
I have offered to take on the matter that lies behind this and try to get it resolved.
Its a simple cock up and incompitance if you ask me :D

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 14:17
Keep us updated on how this goes please :D

Just waiting for the original poster to respond to PM, if that's before 4pm I can deal today, if not I'll be able to pick it up Monday moring.

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 14:18
Its a simple cock up and incompitance if you ask me :D
Whatever the cause, the important thing is getting it resolved, which is what I'd like to do.

tabatha
18-10-2003, 14:27
Mark...Are you saying that emails are not replied to per sae but are electronically "generated"...as in"that requires answer num1...thats answer num3 etc"???..with little regard to the contents.......

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 14:33
I don't think this was an email.....I think it was an ordinary letter.

tabatha
18-10-2003, 14:45
My mistake....memo to me..read the b....y thread properly in future....

{FU}Fubar
18-10-2003, 15:02
Whatever the cause, the important thing is getting it resolved, which is what I'd like to do.
very true but the problem should have not arisin in the first place , some one should have words with her IMO

th'engineer
18-10-2003, 15:08
Well must say not at all surprised at the thread it is Manchester NW area .

Undisputedtruth
18-10-2003, 15:32

Yeap, utter useless piece of **** <edit>

Mind you the letter made me laugh though. You know the bit that says if you can find better value elsewhere. This one of many numerous examples of incompetance at every level.

{FU}Fubar
18-10-2003, 15:44
Yeap, utter useless piece of **** <edit>

Mind you the letter made me laugh though. You know the bit that says if you can find better value elsewhere. This one of many numerous examples of incompetance at every level.
that certainly is true and im sure they love to think they are better value , but they arnt any more

{FU}Fubar
18-10-2003, 16:32
Compared to who exactly Fubar?
compared to the rest of the isp's, phone companys , and tv

Undisputedtruth
18-10-2003, 19:43
that certainly is true and im sure they love to think they are better value , but they arnt any more

It's a case of if they believe it then we would as well. Luckily, not many of us are stupid enough to believe that.

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 21:15
I have to say, this thread has disappointed me, since *** is *anything but* incompetent, and is one of the most customer focused managers I have worked with.

The way to get ntl people such as myself onto this site offering help is certainly not to post personal attacks against ntl staff. By all means criticise the company if it's deserved, so that problems can be rectified, but personal attacks are totally unfair, totally uncalled for and totally unneccessary.

Try to remember there is a real person at the keyboard who has to read this stuff. *** has yet to see this thread....I am not looking forward to having to show it to her.

dr wadd
18-10-2003, 21:26
Try to remember there is a real person at the keyboard who has to read this stuff. *** has yet to see this thread....I am not looking forward to having to show it to her.

And why exactly do you *have* to show it to her?

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 21:39
And why exactly do you *have* to show it to her?
Because she's my boss, it's a work related issue, and it relates to a letter sent with her name on it.

I am hoping to make contact with the affected customer and get it resolved....as with all such matters, in my department we feed these things back to each other in order to try and identify the issues that created the problem, and make sure they do not happen again.

Richard M
18-10-2003, 21:51
If there's any issue with her full name being on the site, I want NTL to please let US know first rather than our webhost.
(See Frank's recent weblog entry)

orangebird
18-10-2003, 22:14
If there's any issue with her full name being on the site, I want NTL to please let US know first rather than our webhost.

Roger, I'm sure you wouldn't dream of posting any member of this forums' full name and job title without their consent - do you really have to wait until someone complains before removing it now?

Russ
18-10-2003, 22:15

NTL will always do what they is best, no matter how far detatched from reality the idea is....

Roger, I'm sure you wouldn't dream of posting any member of this forums' full name and job title without their consent - do you really have to wait until someone complains before removing it now?

Whilst this kind of subject can be a bit of a minefield, she is obviously willing to give her name out to members of the public (by having her name on letters sent to customers). I'm not saying this gives people carte blanche to use names wherever and whenever but she has to realise her name is going to be discussed, if only by the recipient and friends/family.

{FU}Fubar
18-10-2003, 22:15
I have to say, this thread has disappointed me, since *** is *anything but* incompetent, and is one of the most customer focused managers I have worked with.

The way to get ntl people such as myself onto this site offering help is certainly not to post personal attacks against ntl staff. By all means criticise the company if it's deserved, so that problems can be rectified, but personal attacks are totally unfair, totally uncalled for and totally unneccessary.

are you sure your not getting this site mixed up with .com? , as the only thing you have to show her related to work is the same thread at .com as this is not owned by ntl yet the other one is :)

Richard M
18-10-2003, 22:23

No, I did think of removing it but then considered that there is no reason to, unless she personally requests it.
After all, this is a complaint from one of our members, towards an NTL manager.
If it were a call centre agent or whatever then I would have but she is a manager and puts her name on these letters for a good reason.

dr wadd
18-10-2003, 22:26
NTL can complain to the site hosting company until they are blue in the face, it is after all their time to waste. As far as I can see there is nothing actionable in the original post, merely pointed out how a single letter can contain so many mistakes, which in my opinion doesn`t exactly illustrate a high level of competency on at least the part of one person.

Assuming that this person signed the letter personally, then it highlights the fact that she doesn`t bother to check facts before signing off on things. Conversely, if this is a standard form letter signed by one of the grunts in place of the manager, then she should have take the initial responsibility to ensure that the facts in the letter were correct if it is going to have her name on it.

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 23:03
I think perhaps it would be prudent not to jump the gun but to wait until *** herself sees the post, all that's happening here is people are pre-empting something.

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 23:06
NTL can complain to the site hosting company until they are blue in the face, it is after all their time to waste. As far as I can see there is nothing actionable in the original post, merely pointed out how a single letter can contain so many mistakes, which in my opinion doesn`t exactly illustrate a high level of competency on at least the part of one person.

Assuming that this person signed the letter personally, then it highlights the fact that she doesn`t bother to check facts before signing off on things. Conversely, if this is a standard form letter signed by one of the grunts in place of the manager, then she should have take the initial responsibility to ensure that the facts in the letter were correct if it is going to have her name on it.

I work under ***, and I most certainly am not a 'grunt', and neither are any of my colleagues.

This type of attitude is precisely the reason that ntl people won't come here and try to assist customers....if we are going to have abuse hurled at us, when we are trying to help *IN OUR OWN TIME* then why on EARTH would we bother?

I am fairly thick skinned...not everyone is.

As I said in an earlier post, by all means complain about the company if you feel you have received bad service...but don't insult individuals. There's a real person at the keyboard.

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 23:10
are you sure your not getting this site mixed up with .com? , as the only thing you have to show her related to work is the same thread at .com as this is not owned by ntl yet the other one is :)

I am not aware that this thread is also running over there...if it is, I'll pick it up there too.

However, I am perfectly comfortable picking up customer issues on this site, just as I do over there.

I am most certainly not getting the sites mixed up...I know precisely where I am posting.

{FU}Fubar
18-10-2003, 23:12
I work under ***, and I most certainly am not a 'grunt', and neither are any of my colleagues.

This type of attitude is precisely the reason that ntl people won't come here and try to assist customers....if we are going to have abuse hurled at us, when we are trying to help *IN OUR OWN TIME* then why on EARTH would we bother?

As I said in an earlier post, by all means complain about the company if you feel you have received bad service...but don't insult individuals. There's a real person at the keyboard.
to be honest with you i think dr wadd has a fair point , he hasnt insulted anyone here and neither as anyone else, they certainly havent called her any names, but they have called her incompitant, as dr wadd rightly put if she did indeed sign the letter herself then she should have noticed the mistakes in the letter, if some else signed it yet again they should have seen the mistakes, as far as i can see there is no attitude here specially one that resembles pure rudeness, this thread is pointing out and highlighting the fact the the mistakes in the letter went un-noticed by the person in charge , questioning her work role as a manager and nothing else

Richard M
18-10-2003, 23:18

Indeed, I also think that I speak for all of us when I say I'm grateful for any help that NTL associates give us.

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 23:19
to be honest with you i think dr wadd has a fair point , he hasnt insulted anyone here and neither as anyone else, they certainly havent called her any names, but they have called her incompitant, as dr wadd rightly put if she did indeed sign the letter herself then she should have noticed the mistakes in the letter, if some else signed it yet again they should have seen the mistakes, as far as i can see there is no attitude here specially one that resembles pure rudeness, this thread is pointing out and highlighting the fact the the mistakes in the letter went un-noticed by the person in charge , questioning her work role as a manager and nothing else

My comments related more to my being referred to as a 'grunt', however, I do feel the comments in the original post were rather personal and more than a little uncalled for.

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 23:20
Indeed, I also think that I speak for all of us when I say I'm grateful for any help that NTL associates give us.

Thanks Roger, and I'll continue to do so where and when I can:D

dr wadd
18-10-2003, 23:22
Mirriam Webster (which is the only online dictionary you don`t seem to have to subscribe to) defines "grunt" as someone who does unglamourous work. I think that pretty much describes most office environments, and this is what NTL is. In that context the word "grunt" is non-pejorative.

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 23:24
Mirriam Webster (which is the only online dictionary you don`t seem to have to subscribe to) defines "grunt" as someone who does unglamourous work. I think that pretty much describes most office environments, and this is what NTL is. In that context the word "grunt" is non-pejorative.

Fair comment, but it's not what I'd describe myself as, and I think you could probably forgive most people for taking it to be an insult.

If someone calls someone else a 'b*stard', it doesn't usually mean that they consider them to be an illegitimate child, even though that's what the dictionary definition is:D

etccarmageddon
18-10-2003, 23:28
My comments related more to my being referred to as a 'grunt', however, I do feel the comments in the original post were rather personal and more than a little uncalled for.

I disagree. I stand by everything I said - this is incompetence in the extreme to write to me with so many errors and a phone number which isnt manned. Pathetic would be another word. And I'm puzzled how this can be the wrong letter - surely no-one should be sent a letter with a number which isnt manned when the letter says it is?

I'm genuinely greatful for your pms and offer to help sort this.

I'm not out to hurt anyone or cause undue stress but at the end of the day, this isnt the first time NTL have done this and on previous occasions I was brushed off both by people I spoke to at NTL and I think a posting on .com about a year ago.

As this has happened to me more than once, I dont believe it's issolated - I suspect people think they can get away with inaccuracies like this cos most customers will just ignore it.

that's why it's called "*** ******** Unbelievable Incompetence" - it's the only way I can be sure this wont happen again.

Thanks for putting in your own personal time - which at the end of the day your bosses should be patting you on the back for.

It's time to pull some socks up.

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 23:38
I disagree. I stand by everything I said - this is incompetence in the extreme to write to me with so many errors and a phone number which isnt manned. Pathetic would be another word. And I'm puzzled how this can be the wrong letter - surely no-one should be sent a letter with a number which isnt manned when the letter says it is?

I'm genuinely greatful for your pms and offer to help sort this.

I'm not out to hurt anyone or cause undue stress but at the end of the day, this isnt the first time NTL have done this and on previous occasions I was brushed off both by people I spoke to at NTL and I think a posting on .com about a year ago.

Thanks for putting in your own personal time - which at the end of the day your bosses should be patting you on the back for.

It's time to pull some socks up.

I agree with your points regarding opening times, wrong letter, etc, this should absolutely not happen. These matters are not ***'s fault though, and to insult her personally I felt was rather unfair. Most of these sort of letters, as is common in firms nowadays, are standard, automatically generated ones.

Nonetheless, if the information is wrong, then that's poor, and we want to get it put right ASAP.

If you contact me with your details, I can first of all get the matter looked into and make sure the letters are correct in the future, and also attempt to resolve the issues you have had which led up to this situation in the first place.

etccarmageddon
18-10-2003, 23:41
it's her name on the letter Mark and I dont think I insulted her personally but I also see your point of view.

(I'm a bit wary of giving my details to anyone)

nb. you shouldnt be here - it's sat night!

scrotnig
18-10-2003, 23:43
it's her name on the letter Mark and I dont think I insulted her personally but I also see your point of view.

(I'm a bit wary of giving my details to anyone)

That's ok....if you want you can call me directly in the call centre on Monday morning.....I can PM you a direct number for myself and my team.

etccarmageddon
18-10-2003, 23:47
I've asked roger by pm to take ***'s surname off the thread.

dr wadd
19-10-2003, 00:07
I agree with your points regarding opening times, wrong letter, etc, this should absolutely not happen. These matters are not ***'s fault though, and to insult her personally I felt was rather unfair. Most of these sort of letters, as is common in firms nowadays, are standard, automatically generated .

That is very true, but at some level she must have sanctioned the letter, either when it was signed before posting, or at the time it was put onto the system as a form letter. Therefore it is her responsibility to ensure that the details in the letter are correct.

Now to play devil's advocate, the details could have changed after the form letter was initially approved. However, as a manger it must surely be her responsibility to ensure that there is oversight on these issues to make sure that any letters in her name are correct and current. If I were in a situation where comments were being attributed to me then I would damn well ensure that those comments are correct.

Richard M
19-10-2003, 00:16
I've asked roger by pm to take ***'s surname off the thread.

Job done, except that I have removed her entire name.

th'engineer
19-10-2003, 12:22
I think that there should be checks in place to ensure that this does not happen again shall be writing to someone in NTL north west on this subject.

Obviously the process has failed here and needs modification

Russ
19-10-2003, 12:28
Interesting to see how these letters would change if more people in NTL knew they'd end up on here....

th'engineer
19-10-2003, 12:46
Interesting to see how these letters would change if more people in NTL knew they'd end up on here....
100% agree with you russ

Maggy
19-10-2003, 17:47
Bl**dy rep system.I wanted to give Russ a point for his last post but I have to be a slut and spread it around some more.

Incog. :)

Frank
19-10-2003, 18:20
Bl**dy rep system.I wanted to give Russ a point for his last post but I have to be a slut and spread it around some more.
Just changed this and halved the spread limit to 10 people.

Maggy
19-10-2003, 18:34
Just changed this and halved the spread limit to 10 people.

Thank you. :luv: Incog.

scrotnig
19-10-2003, 19:39
I think that there should be checks in place to ensure that this does not happen again shall be writing to someone in NTL north west on this subject.

Obviously the process has failed here and needs modification

Rest assured also that I will personally be raising this issue, to make sure that if there's an issue with the procedures involved here, it gets sorted out.

etccarmageddon
19-10-2003, 19:42
when I signed up for stand alone cable modem - i got a letter welcoming me to NTL and it talked all about the TV service.

scrotnig
19-10-2003, 19:43

I don't think it's so much a case of them ending up on here. There are those of us in the business, and my department and the management of it are good examples, who want things to be right...feedback on here, as anywhere, is a valuable tool to highlight where things may be going wrong.

I don't see it as 'the threat of exposure'...it's a means of finding out when things go wrong, and getting things changed so that it doesn't happen again. That's the very reason I come to both nthw sites.

etccarmageddon
19-10-2003, 19:43

Incog. :)

give some to mark - he deserves it for his positive attitude.

scrotnig
19-10-2003, 19:44
when I signed up for stand alone cable modem - i got a letter welcoming me to NTL and it talked all about the TV service.

Sheesh...I will feed back that that is still happening. Thanks.

etccarmageddon
19-10-2003, 19:53
it was some time ago (my sign up). now I know who to contact, if I get anymore dodgy mail, I'll be letting you know.

philip.j.fry
19-10-2003, 22:34

Best one I ever had was, walking out of my building one day I noticed a letter left on the doorstep. Picked it up, had NTL envelope but was addressed to flat 6, there's only 5 flats in my building :) Says a lot about the postperson too