PDA

View Full Version : NTL:Freedom 1Mb/s?

Spriggan
15-09-2005, 15:02
Hi there

I am one of the few very happy NTL customers. I currently have a 2Mb/s cable connection. I'm moving at the end of the month and will not be in a cabled area :( I am thinking of going for the NTL:Freedom adsl package and was wondering about a few things...

1. Anybody here using it yet? how has it been? have you got the 1mb/s speeds reported (obviously dependent on your BT line)
2. Can i use any ADSL modem rather than the USB one they supply (wanna get a wireless/router/modem in one)

Thanx
--Spriggan

Chris
15-09-2005, 15:07
You should be able to use any modem. They can only compel you to use their own equipment when you're on their network. If you're contemplating Freedom, then you presumably have a BT phone line.

I have no experience of NTL Freedom, but I would advise you to shop around. If you're considering ADSL instead of cable, then you have a wide choice of potential suppliers. Don't stick with NTL simply because you always have in the past - that applies equally to all sorts of brands in all sorts of areas IMO.

jtwn
15-09-2005, 15:39
Yeah I agree, whilst for cable, ntl roxor the boxor with their internet, there are many much better offerings on ADSL then ntl:freedom.

I'd look into whether your exchange is an LLU one then go on from there.

etccarmageddon
15-09-2005, 17:17
check on samknows to find out how close you appear to be from the closest exchange and what options are available.

j52c
15-09-2005, 18:42
Hi.

I upgraded from the 512k to the Freedom 1mb this morning, so far the speed is ok but a little early to tell.

I don't think all freedom user will be able to get the 1mb just yet, depends on whether your BT line can be activated to cater for it, I am not far from the main exchange so I am ok.

Spriggan
16-09-2005, 09:25
Thanx for the replies. I will look around. :)

If I do go for it, I will let you know how it turns out.

--Spriggan