PDA

View Full Version : New PC and relocated SACM

MDK
15-09-2005, 12:53
Ok so i will be receiving my new PC within the next couple of weeks and im just worried im gonna be without a net connection cos NTL will screw things up so imgetting in early :)

Can you help me with the following.

1) New PC, will this require me re registering the SACM with NTL again ?, how do i go about this?

2) My SACM is currently in the bedroom upstairs as this is where i used to have the pc, it is now coming downstairs, will i have to get NTL to move it? or can i do this myself. Will NTL charge me a lot for this?

Whats the benifits of the SACM on ethernet opposed to USB? im on ethernet at the moment.

zovat
15-09-2005, 13:02
Ok so i will be receiving my new PC within the next couple of weeks and im just worried im gonna be without a net connection cos NTL will screw things up so imgetting in early :)

Can you help me with the following.

1) New PC, will this require me re registering the SACM with NTL again ?, how do i go about this?

No, you should just need to switch of the CM (leave it off for a few minutes), connect the PC to it, power up the SACM, wait unitl it is ready, then power up the PC.

2) My SACM is currently in the bedroom upstairs as this is where i used to have the pc, it is now coming downstairs, will i have to get NTL to move it? or can i do this myself. Will NTL charge me a lot for this?

If you need to move it - get NTL to do it - however they will charge you.
If you move it yourself, and something goes wrong, they are within their rights to charge you for a replacement, plus the work involved.

Whats the benifits of the SACM on ethernet opposed to USB? im on ethernet at the moment.

USB is painfull - avoid at all costs - it has to use a driver on the PC that will chew up some of your processing power, whereas the ethernet is all done on the card.

As an alternative - look into getting a router with a wireless connection on it - they cost less than £70 and mean that you can either use it wired or wireless, and connect multiple machines at the same time.

the cost of the router+wireless card may well be less than the cost of getting it fixed if you try to move it yourself.

HTH :angel: