PDA

View Full Version : That'll stir the hornets nest....

Russ
17-10-2003, 22:04
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12833011,00.html

Most people know how staunchly I try to be a Christian but I would never come out with something as provoking as that guy. If his comments cause a retalitary violent response then he only has himself to blame.

Graham
17-10-2003, 22:29
It's when they start changing the pictures on US currency from "dead presidents" to Dubya's and change the wording from "In God We Trust" and replace it with "Dei Gratia, Fidei Defensor" that I'm really going to have a good laugh!
:)

Ramrod
17-10-2003, 22:37

.Oh dear!:erm: :disturbd:

Bex
17-10-2003, 22:38
see its stuff like that, that gives Christians a bad name :mad:

Maggy
18-10-2003, 00:10
Edit. Finally got it to work.

I was reading this in the Telegraph(yes we have that reactionary crud in this house but only for the crossword hubby says).

I wasn't sure whether to really believe it.It does sound particularly crass even for the present leadership of the US.Bet it gets 'amended'.

Incog. :)

Bill Payer
18-10-2003, 00:24
It is alleged Lt Gen William Boykin also claimed that the Christian God is "bigger" than Allah, who is a false "idol"
How did William Boykin make it to Lt General when,with comments like that,he clearly hasn't left the play-ground!

Jerrek
18-10-2003, 02:14
So what you're saying he can say what he want as long as you agree with it? Free speech is only free speech when you don't agree with what is being said.

Graham
18-10-2003, 03:02
Err, Jerrek, who is that last message addressed to?

And how did you come by that particular definition of "Free Speech"?!

erol
18-10-2003, 03:20
Sacry stuff imo.

Bush has been apointed by god !!!

My god is bigger than your (false) god !!!

and probably the scariest part, the Administrations comment on all this (paraphrased) 'No problem, it's just his personal view'

Sacry

PS this is nothing to do with free speach imo. It's to do with how such a senior person with such extreme radical and fundamentalist views can be allowed to hold such a position of power and importance.

Scary :(

kronas
18-10-2003, 04:04
this is typical really from what i have seen from a few other religions each of them say there is this god and they have there own enterpritation of how god is and what he does and asks from people

this has nothing to do with free speech its about ones belief and where it doesent belong in this case religion doesent belong in a presidential hotseat IMO

Xaccers
18-10-2003, 06:30
The daft thing is, judaism, christianity and islam all worship the god of abarham!
So God is not more poweful than Allah, it's the same god, the only difference is how the followers are supposed to live their lives.

Jerrek
18-10-2003, 09:02
Err, Jerrek, who is that last message addressed to?

And how did you come by that particular definition of "Free Speech"?!
It was addressed to Bill Payer who asked an asinine question how this guy got to be general. He doesn't seem to comprehend that there is more involved than what your opinions are when you're being considered for promotion.

Russ
18-10-2003, 09:49
It was addressed to Bill Payer who asked an asinine question how this guy got to be general. He doesn't seem to comprehend that there is more involved than what your opinions are when you're being considered for promotion.

So would you say the same if he had come out with "white people are better than blacks"? It might be his opinion but would cause a LOT of problems.

Boykin appears to have made comments which some would see as HIGHLY offensive and provocative. Irregardless of what Kronas says, a belief in Christianity and politics can work well together but when someone takes extremist views like that, trouble will follow.

Bill Payer
18-10-2003, 10:32
Wasn't it supposed to be a War on Terrorism not Religion?
I expect our World Leaders & US Lt Generals to act with a bit more tact & diplomacy.
Let me re-phrase my earlier question.How can the Lt General expect to remain in his position if he continues to make statements that belong in the playground?

Russ
18-10-2003, 10:41
Wasn't it supposed to be a War on Terrorism not Religion?

Yes, yes it was. But the scaremongerers and troublemakers bring religion in to it and suddenly "religion causes wars etc etc :rolleyes:

Graham
18-10-2003, 14:14

Well, yes, from what I've heard, promotion to the higher levels of the US military depends a lot on what political connections you have!

Given the current extreme right wing Xtian mentality of the present US regime, his promotion seems entirely appropriate!

Russ
18-10-2003, 15:34
Hang on, I thought us Christians were supposed to be limp-wristed liberals....

Moox
18-10-2003, 15:36
Why are so many Christians still practising? 2000 years plus not enough? ;)

Russ
18-10-2003, 15:39
Why are so many Christians still practising? 2000 years plus not enough? ;)

4000 years wouldn't be enough :D

But that's off-topic, let's try to stick to the original subject please :)

Moox
18-10-2003, 15:45
4000 years wouldn't be enough :D

But that's off-topic, let's try to stick to the original subject please :)
Sorry couldn't resist :LOL:

It's like most jobs/promotions & the like, it's all political. (Or failing that it's Nepotism)

Stuart
18-10-2003, 17:12
So what you're saying he can say what he want as long as you agree with it? Free speech is only free speech when you don't agree with what is being said.
Free speech also allows people to question what is being said (or even the suitability or sanity of the person saying it).

I am sorry, but I agree with Bill Payer. What is a man who is stupid enough to say something like this (which could in theory start a war) doing in a position of power in one of the largest military forces on earth?

kronas
19-10-2003, 02:53
Irregardless of what Kronas says, a belief in Christianity and politics can work well together but when someone takes extremist views like that, trouble will follow.

its the extremeist views such as that,that cause the underlying problem and outrage if you mix religion and power it doesent mix especially in this type of role where decisions that should be based on the truth (yes in politics that word is non-existant) and unbiased thinking i think its called using your head but without something 'clouding' your judgement

Russ
19-10-2003, 09:53
its the extremeist views such as that,that cause the underlying problem and outrage if you mix religion and power it doesent mix especially in this type of role where decisions that should be based on the truth (yes in politics that word is non-existant) and unbiased thinking i think its called using your head but without something 'clouding' your judgement

So if you've always felt sorry for the homeless and did charitable work etc for them, and you rose to a position of power then you shouldn't do anything to help the homeless any more because it would 'cloud your judgement' then.

Stuart
19-10-2003, 12:50
So if you've always felt sorry for the homeless and did charitable work etc for them, and you rose to a position of power then you shouldn't do anything to help the homeless any more because it would 'cloud your judgement' then.
I don't think Kronas was saying that. I think he meant that anyone with extremist views such as this general should not be in power.

kronas
19-10-2003, 14:01
I don't think Kronas was saying that. I think he meant that anyone with extremist views such as this general should not be in power.

yes scastle thats exactly what i meant especially the kind that want to 'change' the country for the better but are infact stifling it because of not what they wanted to do but were 'told' to do based on something.........

Russ
19-10-2003, 14:10
because of not what they wanted to do but were 'told' to do based on something.........

You really do have a blinkered view of christianity don't you!! What about, say, Mother Teresa? What if she'd gone in to politics, do you think the world would have been worse off?

Defiant
19-10-2003, 14:18
Well I'm not a Christian or Muslim infact I'm not into any religion but just what has the Muslim religion given them?

I look around Christian country's and can see that they can say but all Muslim countries seem to be dictatorships or have internal conflicts and then theirs the other Muslims that have gone to the west but don’t like the western ways :rolleyes:

Anyhow if people still get upset about religion they need help. There's been far to much trouble caused by it

kronas
19-10-2003, 14:22
You really do have a blinkered view of christianity don't you!! What about, say, Mother Teresa? What if she'd gone in to politics, do you think the world would have been worse off?

blinkered i think its called sensible........

oh and it doesent matter what religion it is still does NOT give anyone the right to impose a view like this and 'preach' like this i think thats called abuse of power ?

Russ
19-10-2003, 14:23
....I give up on this..I really do....

Stuart
19-10-2003, 15:19
Err, Russ, he didn't mention Christianity (or even religon) directly. He could be referring to any organised belief system that relies on teachings (although I will admit, all religions are an example of this).

kronas
19-10-2003, 15:25
Err, Russ, he didn't mention Christianity (or even religon) directly. He could be referring to any organised belief system that relies on teachings (although I will admit, all religions are an example of this).

scastle you understand me too well :D

yes it is partly what i meant but i also included religion as it was brought up in a latter post

i am typing in english arent i :rolleyes:

Russ
19-10-2003, 15:26
The thread is based on comments made about how superior the General thinks Christianity is to Islam...

kronas
19-10-2003, 15:33
The thread is based on comments made about how superior the General thinks Christianity is to Islam...

you did provide a link in which it does contain quite a bit of information about gen boykin stating 'bush is god' most of my comments have been based on that as you well know russ i am certainly not religious

Russ
19-10-2003, 15:39
Yeah....thanks for backing up what I said....:erm:

Theodoric
20-10-2003, 19:50

Most people know how staunchly I try to be a Christian but I would never come out with something as provoking as that guy. If his comments cause a retalitary violent response then he only has himself to blame.
An interesting sentence in this report was:

"I knew my God was bigger than his. I knew that my God was a real god and his was an idol," Gen Boykin is reported to have said.

An idol? Really? Let me stir the pot a little and which ask which of the two religions often has statues of its god in its places of worship?

PS This comment reminds me of the charge made against the Templars when they were being suppressed by Philip the Fair, namely that they worshipped an idol named Baphomet. All, well, nothing really changes.

Russ
20-10-2003, 22:34
An idol? Really? Let me stir the pot a little and which ask which of the two religions often has statues of its god in its places of worship?

Actually, splitting hairs here, it tends to be the Catholic and Church of England faiths which tend to have such statues, not Christians.

hobbie
21-10-2003, 02:49
Ok--time for me to show my ignorance/get educated. I thought that both Catholics and Protestants were Christians?.

Russ
21-10-2003, 07:43
You and about 50 million others.......

If you follow the full definition, it could be argued that they are Christians but if you break down the individual tradition, rituals, beliefs etc and the meanings behind them, you see there are GREAT differences.

Theodoric
21-10-2003, 20:05
Actually, splitting hairs here, it tends to be the Catholic and Church of England faiths which tend to have such statues, not Christians.
Agreed, which was I was careful to qualify my statement with the word 'often'.

I caught the second part of Henry VIII on Sunday and I suspect that its depiction of the dissolution of the monasteries was played more for visual effect than historical truth. The impression given was that Henry's soldiers went on an orgy of looting and killing. I thought that many of the monks and nuns were actually pensioned off rather than hacked down in front of their altars.