PDA

View Full Version : Religion

Bifta
13-09-2005, 14:09
Note: No Agnostics or Atheists please ;) this thread is NOT for people to use as platform to slate or mock other people's religions and if you want to discuss the existance of god/allah/mohammed/whoever then please do it elsewhere.

And on to my question.

I know there's a few religious people on this forum and I'd like to know what drew them to their particular religion/beliefs.

On the whole I understand a lot of it to be your upbringing, but there are also a lot of adult converts to (for example), Catholicism, who have not been baptised or brought up as one and there are a lot of people who have left the Catholic church/CofE/CofI in favour of other forms of Christianity.

What does your religion offer to you personally that other religions don't?

ikthius
13-09-2005, 14:14
sorry, I can't really help you here, as I was brought up a catholic, I am proud to be one, but not a practising one, may go back sometime though.

I have thought about looking into buddhism, as it sounds an ok religion, or something like wicca,

although I can't wait for saxodrivers contribution to this thread.

ik

punky
13-09-2005, 14:17
Mine was thrust upon/bred into me. Not the best term for it, but probably the most accurate.

I was christened CofE before I had any say in the matter, and through my entirely school life, I have had to attend bi-weekly Christian services. My secondary school had its own chapel and residential chaplain, despite being secular. It took me til about 14-15 before I decided to take it further of my own accord.

I am more pessimistic about my religion than most others though (read that as a 'worse Christian'). It is more belief than faith. I fine, when things are going bad for me, religion doesn't help me through it as a crutch (whereas most other people do, who describe it as faith). I am thankful Christianity doesn't n-thousands of stupid rules to dictate your life like other relgions do, nor endless festivals. One weird thing, churches normally make me feel uncomfortable. Never known why. I'll hopefully get married outside of one, but have a religious ceremony nontheless.

Pierre
13-09-2005, 14:22
I was "born into" the catholic faith but, as soon as I was old enough to say I didn't want to be part of it, 13years old, I did.

I don't follow any religion.

punky
13-09-2005, 14:25
I think with my own kids, i'll be more guiding than my parents were with me. Instead of putting them into one religion and letting the leave, putting them in no religion, and letting them choose.

Bifta
13-09-2005, 14:35
sorry, I can't really help you here, as I was brought up a catholic, I am proud to be one, but not a practising one, may go back sometime though.

I have thought about looking into buddhism, as it sounds an ok religion, or something like wicca,

although I can't wait for saxodrivers contribution to this thread.

ik

Can I ask what makes you proud to be Catholic?

Chris
13-09-2005, 14:42
We never went to church much until I was 7. We had just moved house and my gran had just died. I don't know whether the loss of her mother made my mum interested in religion, or the need for community after we moved house, but our churchgoing started then.

I was put in the sunday school and the Church Lads Brigade (the Anglican equivalent of the BB) and confirmation classes when I was 12. None of it was my choice, although I didn't really hate it at the time. It began to bother me when I got to about 14. I was being pestered to be a Sunday School teacher for a second year, I was coerced into serving at the altar on Sundays (8.30am!!!) and I was wondering why this was, when I didn't even know why I believed any of it (or even if I believed it).

Finally, one Sunday morning, I felt I was old enough to just refuse to get out of bed, much to my mum's dismay. Parents were divorced by this point but as usual my dad was wheeled in for major matters of discipline. However after a chat on the patio he concluded I was old enough not to be forced.

However, only a year or so later I got talking to a friend at school who had begun going to a church youth group at an independent Fellowship (many of the smaller independent churches call themselves 'fellowship' because the word 'church' has come to mean the building, rather than the people, and they seek to correct that misunderstanding). I was struck by the way he, and the people I eventually met there, talked about Jesus as if he were real and mattered. That prompted me to take a serious look at Christian doctrine for the first time (despite all that time in Sunday School, which really only taught Bible stories and moral lessons, and Confirmation classes, which was about little more than Anglican traditions and rituals). It just made sense to me. I knew that I wanted to live the life Jesus called for and made a commitment to him some months later, at a youth meeting during a Christian week-long summer conference under canvass in Devon, August 1990.

I have never looked back.

This has been quite a long post so I'll leave it for now and maybe explain more about why it made sense to me later.

ikthius
13-09-2005, 14:56
Can I ask what makes you proud to be Catholic?

same way I am proud to be scottish or as proud as you are from Derry (if you get what I mean, I really don't know you that well, so I cannot really comment if your really are proud to be from Derry), I really don't know, but I work with a lot of protestants, and I find that I get a lot of stick, so in that way I am proud to be catholic.

I went to a christian wedding the other week and it did not feel like a wedding that I am used to, I would prefer to get married in a catholic church, I think it is just ingrained in me, or what I am used to.

although I do not go to chapel, I do go for weddings/funerals/baptisms, but not every sunday.

I also found I was more proud to be a catholic when the pope thread was raging at the time of John Paul II death, I found myslef getting a bit heated over some peoples posts, this was the start of my pride in being a catholic really came out.

ik

marky
13-09-2005, 15:04
I got confimed in a cofe church about 2 years ago

it just felt like the right thing, i wasnt forced or pressured in any way
from being a child up to 3yrs ago i never went to church i woke up one morning and wanted to i couldnt tell you why
but i do now feel happier :)

Jon M
13-09-2005, 15:09
I was brought up in a strong Christian home, all my family and extended family, with a few exceptions, are Christians.

I went through my early teenage years wishing I didn't have to go to church, I hated it at one stage.
I was attending Christian camps annually in different locations but mainly in North Wales. It was during these camps I really started to question my own beliefs and gradually came to the conclusion that I had to choose what I knew was the truth.

I was baptised at 18, after a few years of a decidedly non-Christian existance.
I was at that stage where I knew what I stood for and what I believed would play a big part in defining me as a person.
It wasn't as cold a decision as it sounds though, I had got so used to the stories and teaching in church that I had lost a lot of the meaning behind them.
The time from then (my baptism) until now has been spent growing in my relationship with Jesus and knowing what that means for my life.

AndrewJ
13-09-2005, 15:10
I was born into a Wiccan family, so have not seen many other religions over time, however I had researched into Christianity as was formally required by my schooling.

I am not proud nor think I am superior I am just me and happy how I am and how I feel and believe.

timewarrior2001
13-09-2005, 15:12
When I was born it was decided to christen me.
All through school I was made to go to church for the harvest festival, to attend morning assembly every school day, we spent what seemed like months and months learning about the life of Jesus, how the houses were built in bethlehem etc, I even did some pretty cool drawings of jesus and his mates sleeping on the flat roof of his house.

Once I reached secondary school, I was very critical of religion, for no apparent reason than it didnt suit me to have belief or faith. I constantly argued with the RE teacher and promptly dropped religious studies at the end of 3rd year.

I refused to have anything to do with religion for about 5 years, I then decided to take another look at things, I started going to a not very local methodist church, all done up in my mosher gear, I obviously looked like I was in need of something, but I suspect it was a bath not religious vigor. I felt extremely uncomfortable in the church, I had heard all the stories before, and when the congregation started making extremely rude and hurtfull comments about my appearance I decided once and for all that I had finally had enough of religion.

Dont know what it was that caused me such a problem, I have tried, I accept I could maybe try a little harder, but unfortunately I think my mind is made up, I only recently set foot in a church again for the christening of my god daughters, again it was a methodist church and also the church where I shall be married in 9 months time, whilst I feel comfortable there it is purely because I know the minister and have a good friendship with her.

Its funny because here I can be very intolerant of peoples religious beliefs, yet I can sit down with a minister of a methodist church and I can relate to them. But when they are delivering their sermon they seem to take on a different character to me.

I know Bifta expressly said he didnt want this to turn into the usual religious thread and this is why I decided to share with you all a snippet of what I felt.
I do fully believe that somehwere there isd a religion I can follow, one that will fit me, until I find I prefer to remain Non religious.

Jon M
13-09-2005, 15:13
One of the best conversion stories I know is of our pastor.
He was an atheist at university, engaged to a Jehovah's Witness.
One of his favourite things was to heckle the local Christian union members, but their conviction and example made him interested in what they believed. I won't bore you with the rest but his JW fianceÃÃâ€*’© became a Christian too (totally indepandantly I might add).

ikthius
13-09-2005, 15:15
I was born into a Wiccan family, so have not seen many other religions over time, however I had researched into Christianity as was formally required by my schooling.

I am not proud nor think I am superior I am just me and happy how I am and how I feel and believe.

I find wicca facinating but don't know too much about it.

ik

homealone
13-09-2005, 15:29
my mum was originally Catholic, while my dad was C of E, we were brought up C of E, i.e that was the Sunday School we went to.

Later, like Punky, the main influence was school, as we were required to attend at least one C of E service on a Sunday and I did get Confirmed. Later I also used to attend a Baptist Church for their evening service, but have to admit it was their youth club I was mainly interested in - only open to people who attended services.

After school I didn't attend Church, except for weddings/funerals/christenings, however I wouldn't say I am a 'non believer', I just don't feel comfortable with the 'formality' of any one religion, and prefer to 'cherry pick' ideas & philosophies from many.

gazzae
13-09-2005, 15:32
I've been to church maybe 4 times in my life. I call myself a Protestant but I wouldn't call myself religious.

zing_deleted
13-09-2005, 15:34
I had studies with various religions to gather learning on the subject.The latest of which was a few years ago now when I had meetings with The church of Jesus Christ and the latter day saints and I spent a lot of time in study with JW.
As things are now I practice no religion per se but I do have faith in God and Jesus dying for our sins. I have a problem trusting people and Othadox religion of all types have caused travesties and injustice thoughout the ages.
So to sum up I suppose I believe in the church of a good heart trusting in God to know me as the man I am and to judge me on my heart

Bifta
13-09-2005, 15:41
What makes people's chosen religion the right religion for them though? Do followers of certain religions ever wonder to themselves wether they're celebrating in the wrong way?

For example, we have Catholics, Protestants and born again Christians here, obviously all flavours of Christianity but why choose say CofE over Catholicism (apart from your upbringing and Northern Ireland is obviously an exception ;))? I've experienced Catholicism and even to this day it still confuses me, I've also attended a 'born again Christian' Church but in stark comparison to Catholicism I couldn't get my head round how people so openly celebrated their faith.

AndrewJ
13-09-2005, 15:43

I find wicca facinating but don't know too much about it.

ik

It is a wonderous religion I have learned the basics of what my parents know and the basics of the rules and laws of the craft, however there is alot to learn and each person, carves the craft into there own methods and ways.

There is alot of material about these days sadly alot of Hollywood has ruined the image of Wicca, and the amount of teenage wannabe's who make it out to be dark and evil and "cool" annoys me.

I recommend " The Book Of Shadows" By Lady Sheba if your after a classic look at the craft and "teen witch" ( not sure on author atm ) for a more general look.

I tend normally to keep my faith to myself and vistors to my house see seldom signs of it, I do not visit any church nor coven about my faith, although I attend Sabbats and Esbats are per there yearly time and Yule we tend not to have Sunday church as other faiths so are not very open about it.

Russ
13-09-2005, 16:31
Was brought up as a Catholic (my mother often acts as if she's holier that the Pope :D) and had primary and secondary Catholic schooling but by the time I was 16 I felt it had absolutely no relevance to my life whatsoever, although I never stopped believing in God. I don't know whether the whole of Catholicism is like this or perhaps it was just my school/church but I was never encouraged to ask questions - we were to just accept the status quo. By the time I was 18 I stopped attending church and that was in.

Over the next 10 years I always knew I'd go back to God but was waiting for the right time. In February 2002 I met a student nurse originally from Wales but studying in London who was a born-again Christian. She didn't preach or try to convert me, I just asked her questions and she answered as best I could. Everything made sense so I took that as the sign to 'bring me back' however the more I researched Christianity the more I found (what I considered to be) faults with Catholicism.

I found that Penteconstal Christianity would serve me better and made much more sense in my circumstances.

On 26th August 2002 at about 1am I was saved.

You could call me 'evangelical' but I find being direct can put a lot of people off so I 'reverse preach' - I make sure everyone knows my what my faith is so if they want to know more, they can contact me. :)

I've also attended a 'born again Christian' Church but in stark comparison to Catholicism I couldn't get my head round how people so openly celebrated their faith.

It's because we've recieved the greatest gift of all - eternal life with my God. Conversely I cannot understand why Catholic/CofE services are so sombre - but some people prefer that.

Salu
13-09-2005, 16:35
My story is much the same as Chris Ts with some of Jon Ms.

Brought up in a Christian home, rebelled against the upbringing and "enforcement" of it. Went to the North Wales Camps that Jon mentioned and decided that now I knew the theory I had to decide if I believed and wanted to follow wholeheartedly or turn my back and walk away. Thankfully I chose to follow and am glad I have done so. It has provided me a framework to follow and the Bible does indeed seem to contain the answer to every question....

As to what Christianity offers that other religions do not; I would say it's being able to have a personal relationship with God rather than just talking about Him or doing various rituals. Also having an assurance of what happens after you die is comforting and very humbling. Especially knowing that someone has died just for you....because they love you completely!

Telling others about your faith should come from your heart rather than trying to "convert" them. I think lots of Christians confuse this and this is why non-Christians feel threatened as it feels like a sale pitch and not a genuine heartfelt sharing time...

Sorry for hurried post........busy.... :)

ikthius
13-09-2005, 16:46
What makes people's chosen religion the right religion for them though? Do followers of certain religions ever wonder to themselves wether they're celebrating in the wrong way?

For example, we have Catholics, Protestants and born again Christians here, obviously all flavours of Christianity but why choose say CofE over Catholicism (apart from your upbringing and Northern Ireland is obviously an exception ;))? I've experienced Catholicism and even to this day it still confuses me, I've also attended a 'born again Christian' Church but in stark comparison to Catholicism I couldn't get my head round how people so openly celebrated their faith.

what confuses you?

and why are you asking, are you thinking of converting to another religion? I don't mean anything by this post, just wanting to know your reasons on the original question.

ik

Bifta
13-09-2005, 17:47
what confuses you?

and why are you asking, are you thinking of converting to another religion? I don't mean anything by this post, just wanting to know your reasons on the original question.

ik

Well, take the Catholic take on marriage for example, if you're a Catholic and you're married in the chapel, that's you married until you or your partner dies, fair enough. If you're a catholic and you're married in a civil ceremony, your marriage is not recognised by the Catholic church and you are free to remarry, if you're not a Catholic and you're married in a civil ceremony, your marriage IS recognised by the Catholic church and to marry in the church you'd have to seek an annulment from your local Bishop.

You've almost hit the nail on the head with the second bit though, a friend of mine was asked to consider becoming a Catholic by his partners priest, which got me thinking.

Salu
14-09-2005, 10:44
That was relatively painless wasn't it? Is no-one going to take a pop at Christianity today?

:D :D

Chris
14-09-2005, 11:32
That was relatively painless wasn't it? Is no-one going to take a pop at Christianity today?

:D :D

Oi! No troll baiting. :nono: ;) :D

gripper103
14-09-2005, 11:54
I like many was christened into the CofE,didn't get forced into going to church,when i was17 or so decided that I felt a bit restless,something was lacking.
So I started attending church regular,met my wife there (still together after 23 years)unfortunatly had a bad experience with one of the vicars that shattered my faith.
As I got older ,being of an enquiring mind I felt there must be something more and I started studying Wicca,I now consider myself to be a Wiccan and am happy with that,I'm what's known as a solataire,whereas I'm not in a coven.
As Saxodriver said hollywood has tainted Wicca a lot,I'm quite happy going around in life being in tune with myself and the world I live in,I don't force my views on others or my wife and kids,but am quite happy to talk with people if they are interested,its a big world we live in filled with wonder and mystery,and everyday I learn something new
Blessed be

Seti
14-09-2005, 15:23
I was christened CofE, well ok where I come from it's CofW, but I no longer attend services. I have a belief in a greater good or The Source that we call God. I love the rituality of church in fact I prefer the Catholic church in a way because they allow you to make your own mind up regarding religion.

I attended a fellowship for a while but there were many strange things going on there and it didn't feel as personal to me.

I also have a belief in spirituality and find that way of "worshipping" to be valid , fluid and true. So much so that I attended a local Christian Spiritualist church and found it to be a welcoming and friendly place where all beliefs, apart from those that do harm to otheres, are encompassed.

Each and every church or fellowship seemed to disappear when I got ill. So I don't attend anywhere anymore. I suppose my belief is very personal between the Maker and I alone now.

I believe in God in other words and I believe that humans are entitled to make their own choices with regards to what they believe in.

Sian

Orior
14-09-2005, 22:08
What does your religion offer to you personally that other religions don't?

Some people might go shopping for the religion that suits them. That's fine. If thats the case I could join one that allows me to have a wife for every day of the week. But on a serious note (B Flat) I think the majority of people follow the religion of their parents, dont they.

Sadly, some choose their religion based on provision of pre-school facilities or primary school performance tables.

On a spiritual level I'm quite sure that religions offer their congregations the same.

Russ
15-09-2005, 18:31
Just because someone follows Christ does not make them religious...!

marky
15-09-2005, 18:40
Just because someone follows Christ does not make them religious...!
I'm with you on that :tu:

Religious the belief in and worship of a god or gods, or any such system of belief and worship:

Russ
15-09-2005, 18:44
I'd go one further and say that's not entirely valid - thanks to Catholicism's stranglehold on the world, most people think that to follow Christ makes you religious. This is mostly due to the fact that Catholics have sets of rules they have to stick to (this is bourne out of my own experience of Catholicism) whilst not often knowing why. For example I was 28 before I was told told why Jesus died on the cross. In my education we were never told the reason for it - it was just a case of 'shut up and accept it'.

ikthius
15-09-2005, 19:18
I'd go one further and say that's not entirely valid - thanks to Catholicism's stranglehold on the world, most people think that to follow Christ makes you religious. This is mostly due to the fact that Catholics have sets of rules they have to stick to (this is bourne out of my own experience of Catholicism) whilst not often knowing why. For example I was 28 before I was told told why Jesus died on the cross. In my education we were never told the reason for it - it was just a case of 'shut up and accept it'.

well, why did you not ask your priest or read the bible?

ik

NEONKNIGHT
15-09-2005, 23:31

:Yikes: Being a Roman Catholic I find that very shocking to say the least M8. Please don't think that all Roman Catholics have been brought up and taught about the faith as badly and to be honest, let down, as you seem to have been. This really is not the case.

ikthius
15-09-2005, 23:49
:Yikes: Being a Roman Catholic I find that very shocking to say the least M8. Please don't think that all Roman Catholics have been brought up and taught about the faith as badly and to be honest, let down, as you seem to have been. This really is not the case.

yip, hence my post earlier.

if you had questions about the rligion/faith, ask the people who should know it best.

I would not say that the religion is bad because I were not taught certain things.

if I really wanted to know, my hand would be up all the time in class as a kid, or asking the priest when I saw them.

so that I can better understand.

ik

carlingman
16-09-2005, 00:50

Bit late to go into to my full religious beliefs but would like to ask why in most of your posts without the Mod hat on and in bold you feel the need to have a snide little dig at Catholics.

:erm:

If i was to enter into threads about yours others Christian beliefs and had a dig back I am sure the big blue font Mods opinion would come out.

Each to their own faith and belief.

:angel:

marky
16-09-2005, 00:57
Bit late to go into to my full religious beliefs but would like to ask why in most of your posts without the Mod hat on and in bold you feel the need to have a snide little dig at Catholics.

:erm:

If i was to enter into threads about yours others Christian beliefs and had a dig back I am sure the big blue font Mods opinion would come out.

:angel:

try here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=35051
they wont mind :D

Macca371
16-09-2005, 21:26
I believe in God.

I don't, however, believe in the God of the bible (New testament or Old, nor the God of the Koran). I believe in a benevolent God. I believe in a God who created the Universe and ourselves. I believe in a God who teaches (sometimes harsh) lessons. I believe in a God who accepts you how you are. I have my own set of beliefs, I believe that mainstream religion is a load of hypocritical, self-centred garbage. But I think there must be something there, some kind of deity. I dunno why.

And I also agree with Russ, Catholicism is absolute garbage! Having been raised Catholic and having been to Catholic schools/colleges all my life I can say that Catholicism is, in my opinion, an extremely incorrect image of how God is.

Graham
17-09-2005, 01:27
I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't be posting in this thread, but I was just looking to see what was being said when I noticed the ad at the top of the page:

"For the serious Christians in mind: Talk Jesus, forums and live chat. http://www.talkjesus.com " :rofl: :angel:

marky
17-09-2005, 01:56
I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't be posting in this thread, but I was just looking to see what was being said when I noticed the ad at the top of the page:

"For the serious Christians in mind: Talk Jesus, forums and live chat. http://www.talkjesus.com (http://www.talkjesus.com/) " :rofl: :angel:
And whats realy funny is i just clicked the link and found an ad for cf ;)

Russ
17-09-2005, 14:37
well, why did you not ask your priest or read the bible?

The priest never made himself approachable. We were never encouraged to read the bible - the attitude was "the priest is right - just accept it".

Being a Roman Catholic I find that very shocking to say the least M8. Please don't think that all Roman Catholics have been brought up and taught about the faith as badly and to be honest, let down, as you seem to have been. This really is not the case.

I've always said that my experiences seem to be restricted to my schooling and experiences - I'm sure not all Catholicism is like it.

I'm critical of my own experiences. Primary and Secondary Catholic schooling, plus the church I had to attend each sunday which was more like a social club with all the rules, regulations and self-important individuals. I am also critical of a faith which makes up rules as it goes along which are not featured in the bible. Now that's fine, if this is how they choose to live their lives just as long as they don't condemn people for not obeying rules and say they are sinning when there is no biblical evidence for most of their claims.

An example is their belief that no-one is assured of salvation and we go to purgatory after death before heading in to heaven. There is nothing in the bible to suggest this - it is entirely man-made. Bear in mind that there are quite a few biblical verses which say salvation is assured if you confess Jesus is Lord and have faith in Him. This counteracts the Catholic dogma, which even goes as far as saying you are 'cursed' if you claim salvation.

Absolutely - however please avoid claiming a faith is the one true way to Christ when most of it's teaching go against biblical text (this is a generic statement, not aimed at anyone in particular).

And I also agree with Russ, Catholicism is absolute garbage!

Let's be clear that I have never called Catholicism garbage! It has done a lot of good work - Mother Theresa for example. I just disagree with a lot of its teachings, in particular that of the Port Talbot area.

Macca371
17-09-2005, 15:06
Let's be clear that I have never called Catholicism garbage! It has done a lot of good work - Mother Theresa for example. I just disagree with a lot of its teachings, in particular that of the Port Talbot area.

Ah ok garbage was a bit too far...

Chris
19-09-2005, 11:11

What does Catholicism teach about Port Talbot? :erm: :D

Russ
19-09-2005, 11:24
:spin:

Bifta
19-09-2005, 11:35
For those people (diamond, I'm looking at you) who appeared to be completely incapable of reading my original post, would you mind re-reading it please.