PDA

View Full Version : New PC - Recovery partition

Tricky
24-06-2003, 21:33
Hi all,

Just purchased a new PC (Tax dodge - thanks government!) HP-t190uk. Delivered 2 hours ago, I've created the recovery CD's (6 discs CDR's nice! when the machine has a DVD+RW installed!)

1) Is there anything worth keeping on the recovery partition before I blow everything away and start a fresh?

2) What are the .INP files (I assume they are some sort of archive ZIP/RAR type) but I cannot find anything to read them.

3) Ideally I'd like to selectively install some of the software from the PC (AutoRoute 2002) but not works etc. therefore I don't want to do a full recovery

aliferste
24-06-2003, 23:00
Did you get a copy of windows xp with it? :)

redmanc
25-06-2003, 13:45
If its built by hp it will be all bundled up into the cds, same with compaq stuff we get at work.

You could remove the recovery partition without having any problems i'd imagine, as for an .inp file i've never heard of it either.

Ben
25-06-2003, 14:27
According to "File Extensions" an .INF could be any of these stated here (http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=INP&Submit3=Go%21)

Lord Nikon
25-06-2003, 15:11
ok Gandalf, we will book you into specsavers lol... the extension is .INP

what INP files are are a type of backup archive, similar to the .gho files Norton ghost use.

as for Autoroute 2002, I am sure if you look in the right places you could acquire a copy of Autoroute 2003 :D

and while you are at it, a copy of XP Pro, Corporate edition is always preferable to the home edition as it has no activation junk and also supports dual screens should you decide to get a second monitor later...

Ben
25-06-2003, 15:27
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
ok Gandalf, we will book you into specsavers lol... the extension is .INP

what INP files are are a type of backup archive, similar to the .gho files Norton ghost use.

as for Autoroute 2002, I am sure if you look in the right places you could acquire a copy of Autoroute 2003 :D

and while you are at it, a copy of XP Pro, Corporate edition is always preferable to the home edition as it has no activation junk and also supports dual screens should you decide to get a second monitor later...

Whoohoo...I made a boo-boo :blush: :blush: :D

look here (http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=INP)

Tricky
25-06-2003, 21:16
To late now - it's blown away ...

Found the graphics card to be the worst ever - NVidia Geforce4 MX 440 128MB (made by ASUS)
3dMarkPro cannot run any tests against it - I assume cos of the DirectX (Full Functionality vs. well it sorter works)
So much for buying the powerful version

ali147gta
26-06-2003, 13:52
Im guessing you purchased this through an employee scheme ?

Hmm BT Homecomputing perchance ??? ;)

timewarrior2001
26-06-2003, 16:04
why benchmark an MX440, they are practically a GF2 in comparison to the Ti's Although they are a geforce 4 and do offer a mighty speed advantage compared to the GF2's there is little else in the way of improvements.
Also the benchmark tests are pretty unreliable, theres a huge argument atm about driver modifying to suit benchmark tests, Nvidia were recently accused of it, buy a company that is involved with ATI :rolleyes: I must also state for fairness that ATI were the first company to be caught doing this kind of thing :rolleyes:

The only use for a benchmark I can see is to see what difference adding new hardware makes.

agentsmith
26-06-2003, 16:15
you should find it runs 3D-Mark 2001 ok, but not 2003

The MX's are blessed with hardware MPEG2 decoding, so watching DVD's on them is smoother than a software decoder, even on a fast machine.