PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet connection

chabbychang
11-09-2005, 21:48
HELP!

I have telewest braodband using modem connected to my PC using an USB connection.

I now want to have wireless router, and it needs ethernet cable to PC. When I take out USB cable and swap with ethernet cat 5 cabvle nothing happens??? it says 'unplugged' and I can't get interent. What am I doing wrong?

I have done the basics; powered down modem etc, re-installed broadband, but as soon as it says plug in cable, nothig happens.

I e-mailed teleest and they suggested un-installing USB drivers and releasing IP address (what????????????????????????)

Am I doing something stupidly wrong??
Pleae help, kids killing me!

atlantis
11-09-2005, 21:56
What make of router are you working with?
Never had telewest, but on my old Netgear, it didn't need install cd, as when I set it up via internet explorer, by typing in the code supplied to talk to the router, it gives you option to auto install from there, but, as I said, that was ADSL, not cable, so options may be 100% differant, if so, I'm sure one of the cable boffins will be along soon to advise you.

chabbychang
11-09-2005, 22:03
Hi Atlantis,

I have just purchased Netgear WGT624 from telewest website. I wanted to swop my existing broadband connection on my motorola SB5100 (supplied from TW) from USB to ethernet. But I cant do it!!!!!!

marky
11-09-2005, 22:20
have you deleted the old connection on your pc

control panel / network connections :)

v0id
11-09-2005, 23:21
Should be simple as setting your network connections TCP/IP to Obtain Automaticaly.

atlantis
11-09-2005, 23:28
Full instructions here on this link, make sure you have adobe reader 1st:

http://www.netgear.com/pdf_docs/108Mbps_SuperG_WhitePaper_29Apr2004.pdf

Bit strange, comments from Telewest on this link:

http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/internet/faqs/multiconn.htm

But let me know how you get on.

Dunk01
12-09-2005, 00:15
I had a similar problem where by by pc wudnt recognise the ethernet connection, despite the ethernet port at the back showing flashing lights.

turned out my antivirus, PCCillin, had disabled the ethernet port, during an update.

So if your running pccillin or any trend micro prodcut, I suggest you visit their website and download the patch to fix it.

Took a while to locate it, but googling helped!

good luck

chabbychang
18-09-2005, 19:40
Well, contacted telewest helpdesk who spent an hour configuring my PC remotely and eventually summised that my ethernet card or drivers is corupt.

Contracted PC world helpdesk, who spent just under 1/2 hr and summised that my problem is not with etherent card or driver but with telewest. I could however, completely un-install and re-install windows and lose all my data if I wanted to. Yeah right!!!!!
Opted for USB to etherent adapter which plugs into USB port in PC and allowes me to plug in etherent cable and run router. Will let you know when it arrives Wednesday. If not PCgoes back to PCWorld to check and replace ethernet card and drivers!

kumochisonan
21-09-2005, 04:32
Okay... First things first, you took the USB cable out of the Modem and PC and then put the Ethernet Cable in between the Modem and PC? Or did you put the Ethernet cable into the Wireless Router and PC?

If you put the Ethernet Cable directly between the PC and the Modem, did you get an activity light on the front of the Modem? (PC light for Webstar, Activity for Surfboard) If not, your Ethernet Cable is either broken, or it's not a Straight Through cable (check whether the wiring inside the connectors runs in the same sequence, if it doesn't, it's a crossover.)

If you are connecting between the Wireless Router and the PC, you aren't going to get an Internet connection, because it's not connected to the Modem... At all... What I suggest is that you connect the Ethernet cable between the Wireless Router and Cable Modem, reboot the modem (Pull the power cable out), and the configure the wireless adapter in your PC to connect wirelessly to the wireless Router.

Re-Installing the Blueyonder Software does *nothing* except assume you are connecting directly between PC and Cable Modem, and then install USB drivers if you happen to be using the USB cable. If the Installer comes up with an error, re-installing it is a pointless exercise until you actually fix the real problem, Which is that the PC doesn't think it's ethernet port is connected to anything.

Try just getting the connection working on Ethernet between the PC and Cable Modem before trying any Wireless hijinks.

chabbychang
21-09-2005, 12:53
Hi,

The wireless router is still in the box, untouched. I have telewest broadband and the modem I am using (Motorola SB5100) came with the package. It is connected to my PC via USB connection and works fine.
When I take USB cables out of PC and modem and replace them with an etherent cable, the modem shows 'PC activity' and all lights are on, and at the back of the PC I ahve a green light on where etherent cable goes into PC.
On network connectins, the new etherent connection is listed as '3Com 3C910 integrated fast ethernet controller' and shows as beig connected. When I right click on this connection and go to status, there is no packets of info being loaded/downloaded. When I then go to interent I get 'page cannot be displayed etc'. As soon as I swop cables back to USB it works perfect.
It seems the ethernet card/cable cannot serach for IP address????
I have tried IPconfig on system to no avail.
Hope this helps! I have powered down modem and re-booted PC before changing cables to no avail and the etherent connection shows 'enabled'.

kumochisonan
21-09-2005, 13:17
Change the cable over to ethernet, then unplug the Modem power cable and plug it back in, wait for it to restart...

Go to start and then click on run, type in cmd and click OK

In the black screen type ipconfig. You should have 'Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection'

Check what the IP address is on this, or if it's even there.

If you don't have an 'Ethernet Adapter...' Go into network connections, right click on the connection, click on properties and then check that 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' has a tick in the box next to it. If it doesn't, put the tick in the box.

If you have a 169 IP address, type ipconfig /all in the black screen, check the 'Physical Address', if it is all Zeroes, your network card doesn't have a valid MAC address and needs to be reprogrammed with the assistance of PC World (Can be done over the phone).

If you have a valid IP address that starts with either 82, 80 or 62, the connection should be working... check security software on the PC.

v0id
21-09-2005, 21:19
Double click you Internet Connection , then the support tab and see if your address type is "Assigned by DHCP"

chabbychang
23-09-2005, 20:02
I have wireless, I have wireless, I have wireless..........

(and my interent connection is obviously working too)

I am a happy chabby!!

windyf
20-01-2006, 11:43
Hi chabbychang,
I have got a same problem with Telewest. It would be very helpful to me and others frastrated telewest customers if you could summarise the method you adopted to make ethernet connection work.

Thank you very much

windyf

Chris W
20-01-2006, 11:49
:welcome: windyf

I know this guide is for ntl, but it is basically the same as for Telewest

http://www.ntlworld.com/helpsupport/ethernet/changing.php

windyf
20-01-2006, 15:51
Thanks Chris.

I will have it a go over weekends. However last time I contacted telewest and talked to a 'technical adviser' over the phone about two hours trying to swap USB to Ethernet. I don't think he had got a clue and in the end he said there was probably some thing wrong with cable TV, which was bizzar.

Anyway, will let you know if NTL advice helps.

windyf

Andrewcrawford23
20-01-2006, 19:59
you probally where speaking to a 1st line person, any time i phone and have went through all there stuff i jsut ask tobe put through to 2nd line person because there only going by a script and the script is flawed and rather speak toa techincal person
thankfully sinc ei last done that i aint had any problems on the internet side for ages but i do admit i think my upload channel is filling up now :(

chabbychang
22-01-2006, 19:14
Hi Windyf,

I bought a USB to Ethernet adapter via the web plugged it in and it works brilliantly. I even have wireless set up all over the house.

Don't know why my ethernet port was not being read, but the adapter cured it straight away.

hope this helps,

unfortunately can't remember the web site but will look again now and let you know asap.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

Hi All,

bought my adapter on 'directusbstore.com' cost £14.95
Go to adapters as a search. well worth the cost.

Chabbychang