PDA

View Full Version : Reduced speed if limit is exceeded?

M. Brown
11-09-2005, 16:44
ntl saying that they are going to increase my connection speed from 300k to 1mb but with a 3Gb a month limit,currently 30gb.

One of the options if the 3GB limit is exceeded is to reduce the speed for the rest of the month, but does anybody know what the reduced speed will be?

MB

homealone
11-09-2005, 18:04
that is a good question MB - the trouble is, until NTL announce it officially, people either don't know, or can't say.

- as you can still do a gig a day, on 300kb, it would be logical for the speed to be slower than that - but that is pure speculation.

M. Brown
11-09-2005, 20:20
Many thanks homealone for replying. Ah well - back to the drawing board then again it seems!

etccarmageddon
11-09-2005, 20:36
I assume you're aware that you can opt out of this speed increase if you want to remain on your 30gig monthly allowance?

Ignition
11-09-2005, 22:50
I assume you're aware that you can opt out of this speed increase if you want to remain on your 30gig monthly allowance?

Not anymore I don't think.

homealone
11-09-2005, 23:05

Not anymore I don't think.

what is this then?

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi/cmOptOut

???

Scopeuk
12-09-2005, 17:24
yeh ive had an email about this ( i cheack my outlook emails once a month or so) but i rearly dont think this is gonan work id love the speed but i rearly need the 30 gb i liek to keep upto date withthe latest version fo knoppix both cd and dvd downlaodign the dvd alone is neough to blow the b/w budget not to mention that i game a little more that 1/2 hour a week
http://www.home.ntl.com/page/broadbandusage
sorry for draggign the cap into this but thats the only reason im still on 300k and not 1 meg.

MysticKiller
21-09-2005, 19:36
So i've been upgraded to 1mb from 300k, if i opt out, what does that mean? Will i be back on 300k with no cap? Cheers.

Bill C
21-09-2005, 19:50
So i've been upgraded to 1mb from 300k, if i opt out, what does that mean? Will i be back on 300k with no cap? Cheers.

300k with a 30 gig cap i think

jrhnewark
21-09-2005, 20:40
As far as I know, there is no way back to 300kbps when you've been upgraded to 1Mbps.

As the address says, it's an 'OptOut' address - not a 'Return to 300k!'. :(

MysticKiller
21-09-2005, 20:48
If i Opt-Out, what would that exactly mean?

jrhnewark
21-09-2005, 20:52
Well, as far as I can see, you could've opted-out to not have your speed upgraded in the first place - so you'd have never gone up to 1Mbps.

But now that you are on 1Mbps, there's no way of going back to 300kbps. Unless I'm missing something. :)

nffc
21-09-2005, 20:59
Well, as far as I can see, you could've opted-out to not have your speed upgraded in the first place - so you'd have never gone up to 1Mbps.

But now that you are on 1Mbps, there's no way of going back to 300kbps. Unless I'm missing something. :)
No there isn't. Although I don't think ntl have even given us any new T+Cs enforcing the cap. IIRC, they're still monitoring it and not enforcing it yet, if the 10 Mb/s rollout is true, they won't need to anyway.

BTW 1- where have you been, you've not posted here for a while?
2- looking forward to Trundle mullering Forest's powderpuff defence?

jrhnewark
21-09-2005, 21:21
BTW 1- where have you been, you've not posted here for a while? I sort of.. forgot. :shocked: Same at N'Hell, however. :erm:
2- looking forward to Trundle mullering Forest's powderpuff defence?I can't wait - any final score prediction, nffc? :p:

nffc
21-09-2005, 21:41
BTW 1- where have you been, you've not posted here for a while? I sort of.. forgot. :shocked: Same at N'Hell, however. :erm:
2- looking forward to Trundle mullering Forest's powderpuff defence?I can't wait - any final score prediction, nffc? :p:
3-1 to you guys but :notopic:

DJ_Price
28-09-2005, 00:49
I'm on 2mb connection & have been using it a fair bit this month & now my connection seems to be downloading at the speed of a 1mb connection (or close to it) It happened 2 days ago, i noticed the lights flashing on the modem & that it had been restarted as RDY & SYNC were flashing. I thought connection may be down so i did a speed check & the top speed i then got was 120kbs. I'm guessing that its been lowered to 1mb. I'm now thinking of moving ISP's, just not sure which one if i do :erm:

jtwn
28-09-2005, 00:56
Login to http://192.168.100.1 with user and password "root".

I think its on the operational parameters tab, that'll tell you what service you are provisioned for.

Try this too - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html

DJ_Price
28-09-2005, 16:02
Even worse now. I'm getting between 45kbs & 95kbs. Anyone got any recommendations for ISP's to change to? (To change to another ISP it would have to have unlimited bandwidth usage, 1mb or more & priced around £25 a month)

FrankieX
28-09-2005, 17:01
I've had a look around recently about which ISP I'd replace ntl with if I became too annoyed, and have decided that I'd probably use http://www.demon.net/

It requires a BT phoneline, but has no engineer costs due to them sending you a modem and adsl phone filters in the post and is £20 for up to 2Mbit (the speed depending on your distance from an exchange I'd guess)

Another reason I wouldn't mind using them is that they are as old as dirt as far as UK ISPs go and they have a good customer service reputation (which, with all respect for the guys who are on here, ntl do not).

Lastly (and most importantly for you) it says unlimited in the ads.

jono_h
28-09-2005, 18:01
I received a letter and I've completed the opt-out process, as I'm happy with 300k and don't want to worry about a download limit.
Not being entirely trusting of NTL i captured screenshots through the process. I can confirm that on the last screen it states that your connection will be briefly upgraded to 1MB (with no change in usage allowance) before dropping back to 300K.
This does seem to imply that users can be migrated from 1MB and back to 300K, but who knows.
Screenshots available in .ppt if anyones interested.

SMHarman
28-09-2005, 18:06
I've had a look around recently about which ISP I'd replace ntl with if I became too annoyed, and have decided that I'd probably use http://www.demon.net/

It requires a BT phoneline, but has no engineer costs due to them sending you a modem and adsl phone filters in the post and is £20 for up to 2Mbit (the speed depending on your distance from an exchange I'd guess)

Another reason I wouldn't mind using them is that they are as old as dirt as far as UK ISPs go and they have a good customer service reputation (which, with all respect for the guys who are on here, ntl do not).

Lastly (and most importantly for you) it says unlimited in the ads.When we rented office premises and NTL said that the only service that could go in there was their business BB on a 3 yr contract and it woudl take 30 days to install we chose Demon Home Office 500. I would recommend them too. Not the cheapest, but 24 hr customer service by phone and webchat, good support, a static IP address if you are into that sort of thing. Got an email advising of the upgrade to 2Mb and that has been running well, though there have been some teething troubles on this, people being upgraded when their line could not handle it. The modem is USB only though, so I bought one instead.

DJ_Price
28-09-2005, 23:17
Looking at Demon's website & i've got to say it does look like a decent deal. Thanks for the info, think i will get things sorted (Wireless router & modem etc) & get my dad to cancel the ntl package soon. Thanks again :)

jtwn
29-09-2005, 01:34
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2395

DJ_Price
29-09-2005, 02:15
Ah..... Looks like im on the search again for another ISP! :dozey: