PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first car - need advice

slysy
17-10-2003, 13:12
ok first I should say I know virtually nothing about cars lol. Any advice about getting a first (second hand) car would be great. What model would be good (I need something with cheap insurance)? Where should I get it from? How do I know the car will be reliable? Etc etc...

Defiant
17-10-2003, 13:18
Try this http://trial.which.co.uk/motoring.php?p_id=101&roi=203632

bob_builder
17-10-2003, 13:23
Buy yourself a copy of Auto Express and/or visit http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ - this will list cars and their insurance groups (the lower numbers are cheapest to insure) and also new and second-hand prices so you can find a cheap deal all round.
They also ran a reliability survey recently:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ae_data/special_features/driverpower2003/driverpower2003.pdf

spacedhopper
17-10-2003, 13:29
i would go here: http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/chooser/index.aspx

To help you choose a car based on criteria you specify. Then go here: http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_car/

To find out how much you should be paying for it.

Then go here http://www.autotrader.co.uk/

and find yourself a motor :0)

ian@huth
17-10-2003, 13:34
Two things to look at are the purchase price and running costs. You may find a cheap car but it could cost a fortune to run and maintain, bit like printers in that respect.

Defiant
17-10-2003, 13:40
What type of car are you after anyway. Small(Corsa), meduim(vectra),Large (BMW) etc

slysy
17-10-2003, 13:40
Im a bit worried i will buy a car and it will break down really soon after i buy it or something. Is it worth forking out to get it checked by the AA?

Nemesis
17-10-2003, 13:49
Im a bit worried i will buy a car and it will break down really soon after i buy it or something. Is it worth forking out to get it checked by the AA?
Anything that's going to give you piece of mind is worthwhile. Good Hunting.

slysy
17-10-2003, 13:59
Ok thanks for the links everyone. I found this on auto trader, do you think this may be an ok sort of car for me to go for?

Nissan Micra 1.0 Shape , Petrol, 1997 P Reg , White, Hatchback, 38,000 miles , 3 Doors. Catalytic Converter, Centre Rear Seat Belt, Heated Rear Screen, In Car Entertainment, Rear Wash/Wipe, Seat Belt Pre-Tensioners, Tinted Glass, UK Supplied Car. £1,995

Nemesis
17-10-2003, 14:03
Ok thanks for the links everyone. I found this on auto trader, do you think this may be an ok sort of car for me to go for?

Nissan Micra 1.0 Shape , Petrol, 1997 P Reg , White, Hatchback, 38,000 miles , 3 Doors. Catalytic Converter, Centre Rear Seat Belt, Heated Rear Screen, In Car Entertainment, Rear Wash/Wipe, Seat Belt Pre-Tensioners, Tinted Glass, UK Supplied Car. £1,995
Micra's are popular, should be cheap to run and get spares for. When you go and see it take someone with you. If you have any concerns about the car, mention bringing in the RAC/AA and ask whether that will be a prob - see what the reaction is.

Check MOT, Tyres (inc spare), damage, Tax. Make sure you test drive it, and always offer a lower price. :D

Defiant
17-10-2003, 14:07
May sound sexist but if your after a second hand one try getting one thats been owned by a women driver, always check for the little dints in the windscreen and bonnet. That lets you know if its been getting hammered on the motorway. Also check for oil leaks.

Oh and check the colour of the exhaust emissions

slysy
17-10-2003, 14:10
I think I may be in over my head with this checking thing, perhaps an AA check is the best way to go for me. How much lower price should I offer (if we take the £2000 micra I listed as an example?)

Nemesis
17-10-2003, 14:12
I think I may be in over my head with this checking thing, perhaps an AA check is the best way to go for me. How much lower price should I offer (if we take the £2000 micra I listed as an example?)
Go in at about 1800 and see what is said, play skint, hard up, maybe you can squeeze to 1850, maybe even 1900.

If the checking is a prob, the definately get it checked over, or take a mechanic friend with you. Even a parent/relative with some knowledge.

Defiant
17-10-2003, 14:12

I'd go from £1500 and haggle from their.

Show them the ready's first they tend to take the lower offer when seeing the ready's ;)

Nemesis
17-10-2003, 14:13
I'd go from £1500 and haggle from their.

Show them the ready's first they tend to take the lower offer when seeing the ready's ;)
:) the voice of experience ... you've got to try if nothing else.

SMHarman
17-10-2003, 15:04
Get a brand new ticket (MOT) on it. That is a usefull check for any 2nd hand purchase and cheaper than the AA. It will check tyres, lights, wipers, emmissions, seatbelts, ABS, brake function.

You may not want to answer this, but I think we are all assuming that you are just passed and just 17. Correct?

Salu
17-10-2003, 16:05
If you fancy buying online you could try www.jamjar.com. They are owned by Royal Bank of Scotland/Direct Line insurance and are reliable. You tell them what you want, down to the colour. They scour the country and deliver it to your house. If you aren't happy with it within 7 days they will take it away and refund. Comes with the usual guarantees. I would be tempted to stick to dealers as there can be some good bargains. Much more so than before the prices came crashing down....

slysy
17-10-2003, 16:47
You may not want to answer this, but I think we are all assuming that you are just passed and just 17. Correct?

No I dont mind answering that, I am 21 and coming up to my 22nd Bday very soon :D I figured I didnt need a car while at uni but now I need one for work

slysy
17-10-2003, 16:50
If you fancy buying online you could try www.jamjar.com. They are owned by Royal Bank of Scotland/Direct Line insurance and are reliable. You tell them what you want, down to the colour. They scour the country and deliver it to your house. If you aren't happy with it within 7 days they will take it away and refund. Comes with the usual guarantees. I would be tempted to stick to dealers as there can be some good bargains. Much more so than before the prices came crashing down....

Appreciate the suggestion but I am looking for something cheaper than on that site

SMHarman
17-10-2003, 16:58
No I dont mind answering that, I am 21 and coming up to my 22nd Bday very soon :D I figured I didnt need a car while at uni but now I need one for work

That will make the insurance less painful, being over 21. Some will give an introductory discount so shop around.

If you will need the car as your primary means of getting to work you could consider new as in some respects it may be cheaper.

A new Citroen (whatever the Saxo is these days C2?) is currently 17.5% off, has free insurance for the first year 0% finance and a 3 year warranty.

This means the cost for the first year will be repayments and maintainance costs should be your standard service charges. Anything else should be warranty.

A P plate is going to need work on brakes etc as the pads / discs wear out, and other things such as timng belts. These can add up.

Steve H
17-10-2003, 17:07
Well I just bought my First Car - Fiesta GHIA 1.1 (Only 17) Cost 500, Knocked em down to 450 (I think your after something a bit better tho ;))...

Its nice and economical.. My mothers driving it around at the moment, until I pass my test.. And she spends around £15-£20 Petrol a week, compared with £50-60 On the Rover she drives :eek:

Why not check out the new Fiestas?

slysy
18-10-2003, 21:55
So what do you think the best small car to go for would be? Currently looking at fiestas, corsas and micras mainly

Chimaera
18-10-2003, 22:12
Don't forget the cost of insurance too - might be worth checking that out for each of the above cars.
Have you got a Pass Plus certificate - extra lessons in night driving, motorways etc that you take after passing your test - can also reduce your premiums.
And if you are insuring the car fully comp, put one of your parents on the policy as a named driver - it reduced my daughter's premium by just over £200 on her T reg 1.25 Fiesta! :) Result!

Defiant
18-10-2003, 22:20
So what do you think the best small car to go for would be? Currently looking at fiestas, corsas and micras mainly

I think you'll find the corsas and micras have more moden engine's in them ;)

sonygeezer
18-10-2003, 22:39
The new Daihatsu Charade looks a good buy
http://www.daihatsu.co.uk/daihatsu/frameset.do

trebor
18-10-2003, 22:54
a couple of points to think about
1: nobody ever sells a car there is nothing wrong with (why would they)
2:don't pay more for a car than you can afford to loose.
between the depreciation the risk of theft or crashes you can soon loose all you
have invested in that tin box on wheels.

good luck with the insurance it could cost more than the car get a quote before you get the car.

carlingman
19-10-2003, 01:13

This is pretty much dependant on how much you want to spend and how you finance the car.

You can get some good 0% finance delas though ford now and pick a brand new unregistered Ford KA for £4495 at certain Ford delaerships.

Ok maybe the Ford KA is not your ideal choice but for £4495 it is basic car that will get you from A to B at a cheapish cost to run and cheap on insurance and warranteed for the first 3 years.

:)

SMHarman
20-10-2003, 11:42
1: nobody ever sells a car there is nothing wrong with (why would they)

Not really true. People sell cars because they no longer meet their needs. My last car was sold as it was a 3 door and we had started a family. With all round airbags at the front the baby seat was going in the back and this is apparantly very difficult in a 3 door. Leaning in to get seat in place then belt securely around it.
Others could sell as they are leaving the country, want a newer car. I try not to run a car over 5 years old now as although it is running well, large service costs accrue - new timing belts, brake pads and discs, clutches, new tyres. While not problems, are all items that if added into the replacement cycle costs make keeping a car past yr 5 expensive.

2:don't pay more for a car than you can afford to loose.
between the depreciation the risk of theft or crashes you can soon loose all you
have invested in that tin box on wheels.

good luck with the insurance it could cost more than the car get a quote before you get the car.
True - this is why some of those new deals with free first year insurance can be so enticing for new drivers. New car - warranty, 0% finance and free insurance. The 2k you have makes a healthy deposit for negotiations or the minimums required under the 0 deal and your off with low hassle motoring and free courtesy cars from a main dealer if things go wrong.

trebor
20-10-2003, 12:27
[QUOTE=SMHarman]Not really true. People sell cars because they no longer meet their needs. My last car was sold as it was a 3 door and we had started a family. With all round airbags at the front the baby seat was going in the back and this is apparantly very difficult in a 3 door. Leaning in to get seat in place then belt securely around it.

QUOTE]

ok it was a bit of a broad statement, but the situations you list must only account for a very small percentage of the second hand cars on the market.
even a car with only 3 doors was a problem for you so it may be for somebody else. most people just wanting a newer car would trade in if there was nothing wrong with the one they had.
so I still say nobody sells a car there is nothing wrong with. the question you should ask yourself before buying is what is wrong with the car and will it be a problem for me. there are people who would think nothing of buying a car
with a broken clutch because to them it's only 3 hours work to fix it and not a big problem.