PDA

View Full Version : Smelly House

Escapee
10-09-2005, 08:45
Before I go too far into this thread, I would like to point out that I have recently bought a house and have currently stripped off most of the wallpaper and thrown out the carpets. So I do not live in a palace, as there's lots of work still to be done.

Last week I had a few skips to get rid of my grandfathers old furniture, junk from the attics and garden rubbish. The lorry had trouble getting up the street and I needed one of the cars opposite my driveway moved, for the skip lorry to reverse in. I tried the do-gooders house and there was no answer, so I then went to the door of the house that owns the other car.
This family I have mentioned before, have about 4 dogs that used to sh*t all over the street and in my driveway until I made my point.

The front door of the house was slightly open, I couldn't believe the smell coming from there. The smell was one of the most disgusting thing I have ever smelt in my life, it was very similar to a situation where a cat had gone under the shed to die and was really bad after a week. I have a fairly strong stomache but the smell from this house was making me heave, I knocked a few times but they didn't answer.

The neighbour between the do-gooder and smelly house came out and asked what the problem was, he then offered to move his car that was at the side of my drive so it would hopefully soolve the problem. He moved the car and I mentioned the smell, I knew he had already had a run in with these people and he invited me to go down to his back garden to sample the smell coming from the back of the house, and see the layers of mouldy dog sh*t piled up on the patio. These houses are a row of 2 bedroom terraced houses, and I didn't realise until he said but the smelly people are also keeping chickens in their back garden.

These people have about 3 children living in the house, and appear to have another teenage homeless child that they have taken in. Apparently they are very keen on being involved in charity to earn themselves some money, and they were the ones keen on a sheltered housing scheme in the street in the hope of employment as caretakers at the site.

Later on that day, I noticed a "Dog Warden" van pull up outside the house and he was there for at least an hour. I understand from the neighbours the RSPCA have been there many times during the day.

How can people be allowed to live like this and cause those sort of problems for people around them, I am also amazed that they take people off the street and give them a bed, surely social services shouldn't allow teenagers to be living in that sort of environment.

The absolute classic that I have now heard whilst chatting to one of the neighbours was....

"Do you realise they do catering for parties" :shocked:

marky
10-09-2005, 10:14
catering for parties

not from home without visits from enviromental health, to inspect the separate preperation area, if not its an illegal business
"nice volovaunt *cough* sorry just a hairball*:sick:

me283
10-09-2005, 10:15
Before I go too far into this thread, I would like to point out that I have recently bought a house and have currently stripped off most of the wallpaper and thrown out the carpets. So I do not live in a palace, as there's lots of work still to be done.

Last week I had a few skips to get rid of my grandfathers old furniture, junk from the attics and garden rubbish. The lorry had trouble getting up the street and I needed one of the cars opposite my driveway moved, for the skip lorry to reverse in. I tried the do-gooders house and there was no answer, so I then went to the door of the house that owns the other car.
This family I have mentioned before, have about 4 dogs that used to sh*t all over the street and in my driveway until I made my point.

The front door of the house was slightly open, I couldn't believe the smell coming from there. The smell was one of the most disgusting thing I have ever smelt in my life, it was very similar to a situation where a cat had gone under the shed to die and was really bad after a week. I have a fairly strong stomache but the smell from this house was making me heave, I knocked a few times but they didn't answer.

The neighbour between the do-gooder and smelly house came out and asked what the problem was, he then offered to move his car that was at the side of my drive so it would hopefully soolve the problem. He moved the car and I mentioned the smell, I knew he had already had a run in with these people and he invited me to go down to his back garden to sample the smell coming from the back of the house, and see the layers of mouldy dog sh*t piled up on the patio. These houses are a row of 2 bedroom terraced houses, and I didn't realise until he said but the smelly people are also keeping chickens in their back garden.

These people have about 3 children living in the house, and appear to have another teenage homeless child that they have taken in. Apparently they are very keen on being involved in charity to earn themselves some money, and they were the ones keen on a sheltered housing scheme in the street in the hope of employment as caretakers at the site.

Later on that day, I noticed a "Dog Warden" van pull up outside the house and he was there for at least an hour. I understand from the neighbours the RSPCA have been there many times during the day.

How can people be allowed to live like this and cause those sort of problems for people around them, I am also amazed that they take people off the street and give them a bed, surely social services shouldn't allow teenagers to be living in that sort of environment.

The absolute classic that I have now heard whilst chatting to one of the neighbours was....

"Do you realise they do catering for parties" :shocked:

The RSPCA being involved is a good sign IMO; you may also want to contact the local council, as I think the environmental health people might be interested. The smell may well be offensive, but it could be a manifestation of something much worse. It sounds like there is something unpleasant there, which could mean disease etc. And if they have children, then their welfare must be put first, not to mention the welfare of any of the kids they may be playing with. And of course it can't be too healthy for the animals either.

Situations like this do arise, sometimes because people just can't cope. It's sad, but reporting them would be a case of being cruel to be kind IMO.

Ramrod
10-09-2005, 10:21
Isn't it illegal to keep chickens in a town setting? Something about them attracting rats? :confused:

marky
10-09-2005, 10:25
Isn't it illegal to keep chickens in a town setting? Something about them attracting rats? :confused:

i think there is old bylaws saying you can keep x chickens x goats so on :shrug:

Escapee
10-09-2005, 10:27
The RSPCA being involved is a good sign IMO; you may also want to contact the local council, as I think the environmental health people might be interested. The smell may well be offensive, but it could be a manifestation of something much worse. It sounds like there is something unpleasant there, which could mean disease etc. And if they have children, then their welfare must be put first, not to mention the welfare of any of the kids they may be playing with. And of course it can't be too healthy for the animals either.

Situations like this do arise, sometimes because people just can't cope. It's sad, but reporting them would be a case of being cruel to be kind IMO.

I understand the next door neighbour has had environmental health in a number of times, its difficult when they are dealing with people who have a "Don't give a sh*t" attitude. What could environmental health do, if they turfed them out on the street they would have to be re-housed by the tax payer.

It's strange because the next door neighbour had a reputation himself of being a bit of a thug, and to his credit he has gone down the official channels and so far drawn a blank. He said during the summer he cant have his back windows open because of the smell, I am wondering how long it will be before he actually flips and gets into trouble.

My problems with the dog turds in my driveway ended when I used my shovel to dump them on their doorstep and told them face to face. It seems they started letting the dogs out the front of the house because environmental health had warned them about the dog turds in the back garden, after complaints from the neighbour.

Now putting 2 and 2 together, means the dogs are not shi**ing out the back garden due to neighbour complaint, and are now not allowed to sh*t out the front after I put a stop to it..... that means it must be doing it in the house!

Anyone fancy a sauage roll from there? :rolleyes:

me283
10-09-2005, 10:42
I understand the next door neighbour has had environmental health in a number of times, its difficult when they are dealing with people who have a "Don't give a sh*t" attitude. What could environmental health do, if they turfed them out on the street they would have to be re-housed by the tax payer.

It's strange because the next door neighbour had a reputation himself of being a bit of a thug, and to his credit he has gone down the official channels and so far drawn a blank. He said during the summer he cant have his back windows open because of the smell, I am wondering how long it will be before he actually flips and gets into trouble.

My problems with the dog turds in my driveway ended when I used my shovel to dump them on their doorstep and told them face to face. It seems they started letting the dogs out the front of the house because environmental health had warned them about the dog turds in the back garden, after complaints from the neighbour.

Now putting 2 and 2 together, means the dogs are not shi**ing out the back garden due to neighbour complaint, and are now not allowed to sh*t out the front after I put a stop to it..... that means it must be doing it in the house!

Anyone fancy a sauage roll from there? :rolleyes:

Sounds horrible. Environmental health may be able to do something though. If the state of the place is such that it's a danger to the public health, maybe they can stop them keeping animals? I also believe there is a system whereby the council forcibly go in and clean the place up, then charge the people afterwards? I'm sure I saw/read about it somewhere.

marky
10-09-2005, 10:48
Sounds horrible. Environmental health may be able to do something though. If the state of the place is such that it's a danger to the public health, maybe they can stop them keeping animals? I also believe there is a system whereby the council forcibly go in and clean the place up, then charge the people afterwards? I'm sure I saw/read about it somewhere.

i saw that on life of grime a few weeks ogo

ian@huth
10-09-2005, 10:55
catering for parties

not from home without visits from enviromental health, to inspect the separate preperation area, if not its an illegal business
"nice volovaunt *cough* sorry just a hairball*:sick:Who said that it was food that they were catering with? ;) :D :D :D :D :D

AndrewJ
10-09-2005, 11:01
Well you know what to buy them for Xmas.

A flash mop and plenty of accessories.

me283
10-09-2005, 11:07
Who said that it was food that they were catering with? ;) :D :D :D :D :D

Perhaps it's "special stuff", as favoured by the great Hillary Briss... (League of Gentlemen, for those unfamiliar ;) )

Angua
10-09-2005, 11:10

Our local Chief Constable keeps them in his garden as do several people locally so definitely not illegal.

Contact the environmental health people or failing that put their names forward to this program Houses Behaving Badly (http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/tv_and_radio/hbb_form.shtml)

me283
10-09-2005, 11:11
Our local Chief Constable keeps them in his garden as do several people locally so definitely not illegal.

My mum used to keep a couple of "ornamental" type chickens, but only as pets. Maybe it's to do with the numbers?

patrickp
10-09-2005, 11:53
Is this a Council property, Escapee? If so, you should contact Housing to a) see if they're aware of the situation and b) possibly make a complaint. If you are going to make any sort of complaint, do it in concert with as many of your neighbours as will help.

Escapee
10-09-2005, 18:41
Is this a Council property, Escapee? If so, you should contact Housing to a) see if they're aware of the situation and b) possibly make a complaint. If you are going to make any sort of complaint, do it in concert with as many of your neighbours as will help.

I'm not sure, the houses are mostly private terraced houses. I think a few are owned by housing associations, and one or two are owned by the council due to default payements on mortgages taken out through the council.

If I was a betting man, I would say this one is rented through either a private landlord or housing association. The woman moved there with her two kids, I understand she was put there after being in temporary accomodation after breaking up with her first husand. The neighbours have said the guy now living with her was having an affair with her when she was married to her first husband.

They are not a very nice family full stop, the kids have been snapping aerials and mirrors off cars in the past.

patrickp
10-09-2005, 21:59
I'm not sure, the houses are mostly private terraced houses. I think a few are owned by housing associations, and one or two are owned by the council due to default payements on mortgages taken out through the council.

If I was a betting man, I would say this one is rented through either a private landlord or housing association. The woman moved there with her two kids, I understand she was put there after being in temporary accomodation after breaking up with her first husand. The neighbours have said the guy now living with her was having an affair with her when she was married to her first husband.

They are not a very nice family full stop, the kids have been snapping aerials and mirrors off cars in the past.

Well, whether it's Housing Association or a private landlord, I doubt that either would be very happy about the state of the property, Escapee. Definitely worth finding out who owns it and letting them know/making a complaint. Would also be worth finding out how many of the neighbours would join you in making a complaint, too.

Roy MM
10-09-2005, 22:03
Can cause rats and cockroaches amongst other nasty things.

Hom3r
10-09-2005, 22:50
If you know who they make food for then write to them and tell them the situation, you should also contact environmental health and tell them that they are making food in unfit conditions

nffc
10-09-2005, 22:52
If you know who they make food for then write to them and tell them the situation, you should also contact environmental health and tell them that they are making food in unfit conditions
No, claim you've got the craps from their food...

marky
10-09-2005, 22:55
you cant provide food from home, it has to be a seperate kitchen :disturbd:

Roy MM
10-09-2005, 23:19

You can for a family event, but a business is a totaly different scenario. :sick:

Halcyon
11-09-2005, 00:25
That sounds terrible that they even dare to have kids in dirty smelly areas !!!
And to leave dog mess on a patio and not clean anything is disgusting.
Im sure this forms a type of pollution and they could be told to clean up their act if government health officials got involved.

Angua
11-09-2005, 09:17
Definitely get the BBC Houses behaving badly folk round there (similar to the brilliant channel 4 "How clean is your house" but without the character) and get them named and shamed in public (at least the BBC program are looking for people to shame Download Failed (1) help).

Jules
11-09-2005, 11:18
I think your first stop is the council :tu:

Hom3r
11-09-2005, 11:39

I'm sure you can provide food from home as long as it get inspected from the relevant food/safety agencies.