PDA

View Full Version : Opt out emails

ScallyPete
09-09-2005, 17:38
Hi,

I've been a regular visitor to these forums for a while now but never really had a reason to post, until now!

My friend who's on the 300k service (as I am), recently had an email off NTL telling him that if he wanted to remain on this service, he had to opt out of the upgrade by some date in October.

I've still not had this email but want to opt out. He did send me the link that they sent him but you need some sort of billing ID, which I obviously don't have because I haven't received the email. I was going to contact NTL directly but thought I'd come to you guys first to see if anyone else was still waiting for this email to arrive?

Cheers,

Pete.

nfs6600
09-09-2005, 21:05
Basically all 300k users are going to be put onto 1M automaticaly soon. This will carry a 30Gb a month usage limit. However, if they want to remain on 300k (no usage limit) then he will need t opt out. You will get the email in due course as the 1Mb is rolled out

Bill C
09-09-2005, 21:15
Basically all 300k users are going to be put onto 1M automaticaly soon. This will carry a 30Gb a month usage limit. However, if they want to remain on 300k (no usage limit) then he will need t opt out. You will get the email in due course as the 1Mb is rolled out

Since when have 300k users been on a no usage limit service. ? Its news to me that there is a unlimited service. :Yikes:

MetaWraith
09-09-2005, 21:19
I thought the 1M service was capped at 3GB, not 30GB

dilli-theclaw
09-09-2005, 21:20
Since when have 300k users been on a no usage limit service. ? Its news to me that there is a unlimited service. :Yikes: THAT'S what you get for missing too many staff meetings ;):D

Bill C
09-09-2005, 21:21
THAT'S what you get for missing too many staff meetings ;):D

:LOL:

Correct.

homealone
09-09-2005, 21:30

Since when have 300k users been on a no usage limit service. ? Its news to me that there is a unlimited service. :Yikes:

hmm - on the basis a connection will struggle to download a gig a day on 300k, the 'guideline' was hard to exceed, while 30 gig a month was the notional 'limit', is what nfs6600 means, i think ;)

for new users - if i was an existing 300k customer & was told I had been moved to a tariff which offered 3x faster connection (yay) - but 10x less bandwidth allowance (boo), I might not be happy about it.???

<edit> to be fair the opt out option seems ok :)

caroline
09-09-2005, 21:32
Hi

if we take this offer of going to the 10 mb speed can we add more monthly useage, if so how much will it cost? .

Juan
09-09-2005, 21:34
I've had the e-mail but need more info. E-mail quote:

"You have absolutely no need to worry - should you ever reach your usage allowance we'll let you know and you will be given a number of options including changing to a different service with a higher usage allowance or choosing to use the service for the remainder of the month at a lower speed."

What is the lower speed and r u only able to visit websites and use e-mail but not download anything at all?

Plus when u follow the optout link, it says "you can opt-out from the 1Mb service, using the button below" but I see no button !!
http://www.ntlworld.com/microsites/optout/

homealone
09-09-2005, 22:04
I've had the e-mail but need more info. E-mail quote:

"You have absolutely no need to worry - should you ever reach your usage allowance we'll let you know and you will be given a number of options including changing to a different service with a higher usage allowance or choosing to use the service for the remainder of the month at a lower speed."

What is the lower speed and r u only able to visit websites and use e-mail but not download anything at all?

Plus when u follow the optout link, it says "you can opt-out from the 1Mb service, using the button below" but I see no button !!
http://www.ntlworld.com/microsites/optout/

did you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page?

SLM
09-09-2005, 22:06
Re the email getting sent out to every 300k user, I have read somewhere in the last day or so that ntl have several 100,000's of 300k customers and may take a few weeks to email all of them, so don not panic you will get your email....this will only get sent to your ntlworld email address so make sure you check this mail, not say your yahoo or hotmail.

Juan
09-09-2005, 22:08
did you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page?
Yes I did, can u see any button?

Shaun
09-09-2005, 22:14
I see a green one at the bottom of the page in a green box.

Juan
09-09-2005, 22:17

Did u try clicking it though? It's just a green box with text in - not clickable.

homealone
09-09-2005, 22:42

Did u try clicking it though? It's just a green box with text in - not clickable.

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi/cmOptOut

does that work?

Juan
09-09-2005, 22:49

does that work?

Yeah, where did u find that to?

homealone
09-09-2005, 23:14

does that work?

Yeah, where did u find that to?

it was the link associated with the button on my pc ????

PWS
09-09-2005, 23:36
Hi All

300k is 30 gig / month
1Meg is 3 Gig / month

neither is unlimited

PWS

Paul
10-09-2005, 01:28
if we take this offer of going to the 10 mb speed can we add more monthly useage, if so how much will it cost? .It's not available yet, so no one knows.

ScallyPete
10-09-2005, 08:32
Thank for the reply guys.

I think it's a bit daft that the only way NTL are letting customers know about this opt out thing is via their NTL World email accounts. If it wasn't for my mate letting me know about the email he had received, I would be none the wiser as I NEVER check my NTL email account. I bet there are a few others in the same boat too.

Are there going to be any plans to send a letter out to customers as well as this email?

As for the caps, as far as I'm aware, at the moment there was no limit on 300k users but once everyone is upgraded, the 30gb limits will be imposed. :shrug:

Again, thanks for the replies, I feel slightly better now, will just have to keep waiting! :)

caroline
10-09-2005, 08:51
thanx for the reply paul

just i dont want to opt for it then find it cost to much if i want to download more than they allow , what ever that may be, surely if they are sending e mails to people they would know what the usage is going to cost for downloading, but then am i right in thinking we will not get the mb untill after christmas ?

nfs6600
10-09-2005, 11:12
hmm - on the basis a connection will struggle to download a gig a day on 300k, the 'guideline' was hard to exceed, while 30 gig a month was the notional 'limit', is what nfs6600 means, i think ;)
<edit> to be fair the opt out option seems ok :)

I'm not entirely sure what I meant to be honest, but at the same time I did :) makes sense doesn't it? :lol: Theres that many emails flying around (internal) that you don't know what the speeds and allowances are anymore!!

and yes, the opt out option seems ok to me too. But we're bond to get one customer who "never got the flyer or email" who will complain to high heaven and get 3 months discount! :mad:

Hi

if we take this offer of going to the 10 mb speed can we add more monthly useage, if so how much will it cost? .

All will be revealed to the public in due course

thanx for the reply paul

just i dont want to opt for it then find it cost to much if i want to download more than they allow , what ever that may be, surely if they are sending e mails to people they would know what the usage is going to cost for downloading, but then am i right in thinking we will not get the mb untill after christmas ?

3Mb customers will be the first to get the upgrade hopfully end of this year/begining of next. All depends on the network status etc.

ian@huth
10-09-2005, 12:05
If you elect to stay on 300k then you can upgrade to any other speed whenever you like. Once you do leave 300k there is no going back to it.

caroline
10-09-2005, 12:23
what ?? you cant go back ?? surely not, what if you dont like it .

Matth
10-09-2005, 18:10
The 300k tariff is discontinued for new customers or returning to - a bit like some special mobile phone tariffs from earlier.

Better get my optout in!

caroline
10-09-2005, 21:17
not sure if i want the 10mb speed or not, well not untill they say how muchyou can download, and how much it will be if say i wanted another 30 mb to download.

homealone
10-09-2005, 22:01
not sure if i want the 10mb speed or not, well not untill they say how muchyou can download, and how much it will be if say i wanted another 30 mb to download.

Me too, I am very happy with my 2Mb service, at the moment - when I need to download, say, an update for Nero, it goes fast enough.

I don't tend to use p2p, stream radio or get more than ebooks from newsgroups, though, so my useage is pretty low (well apart from the huge percentage of the bandwidth, I use on here ;) ).

- so I hope there is a similar 'opt out' as per the 300kb to 1Mb upgrades :)

Juan
16-09-2005, 00:59
When I filled out the Opt-out form it said I'd be upgraded to 1meg in October, then downgraded a month or two later to 300k. But I thought I'd read on here that it wasn't possible to change back to 300k because the config data that had to be sent to the modem wasn't available or something.