PDA

View Full Version : question about mycable modem

MarkDaLad
08-09-2005, 23:33
hiya all,
when i first boot up mycable modem it gives me a IP addy off 192..
then after a few minites its goes to 169..

does anyone know the cause off this?

Thank you....

Hom3r
08-09-2005, 23:35
:welcome: to the forum

they are local IP addresses

nffc
08-09-2005, 23:37
169 isn't, it's an APIPA which is when it can't find another... neither is an NTL addy though.

maverick
08-09-2005, 23:43
hiya all,
when i first boot up mycable modem it gives me a IP addy off 192..
then after a few minites its goes to 169..

does anyone know the cause off this?

Thank you....

Is it an Ambit modem,if so

Unscrew the catv cable out of the back of the modem and check what ip you get then.It should pick up 192.168.100.1,if you still get a 169 then the problem lies with the pc.If you do get the 192 then the modem is not being asigned an ip address for your pc,if so contact tech support.

MarkDaLad
09-09-2005, 00:02
ok thanks for the info...the modem is a 120.....when i spoke to tech they said it was because my modem wasnt registered on the network...is it true that a cable modem can only ever be registered once and after the 1st time the modem is no good nomore??

second question...i have a ntl 200 modem ...when it boots up all lights come on then when the ready light comes on...it goes off after a few seconds then the ds and us start flashing for 2seconds then everything goes off exept the ethernet light and the sync light..

Nikko
09-09-2005, 00:33
Forgive me if I appear cynical, but is there a possibility that either of these modems is not hooked up to a paid for active connection?

MarkDaLad
09-09-2005, 00:36
yes the first modem i was talking About is on aol using a ntl cable line ...all paid for and supposed to becurrently online (if i can get it too work lol)

the second one is online with ntl

Tezcatlipoca
09-09-2005, 00:36
ok thanks for the info...the modem is a 120.....when i spoke to tech they said it was because my modem wasnt registered on the network...is it true that a cable modem can only ever be registered once and after the 1st time the modem is no good nomore??

A modem will only work if its MAC address has been registered with ntl.

Is your modem unregistered then, & has been registered before? If so, how did you acquire it?

EDIT: Ah, OK. 'Tis a legit modem with AOL via ntl.

Nikko
09-09-2005, 00:54
yes the first modem i was talking About is on aol using a ntl cable line ...all paid for and supposed to becurrently online (if i can get it too work lol)

the second one is online with ntl

Have you swapped them out? It may have confused the registration processes.

In any case you will need to contact AOL to resolve the lossy connection on the 120.

Chris W
09-09-2005, 01:21
the AOL modem will only work wiith the AOL connection. It that one is not locking onto it's signal properly, then you need to contact AOL member services (normal freephone number).

If your ntl modem is not functioning correctly then you need to contact ntl on 0800 052 2000.

KevAmiga
09-09-2005, 08:27
The AOL modems always give a 169 IP when locked on, you then need to activate the AOL software to "log on" with the service. Works completley different to the NTL service. If you dont have a valid AOL username / password, it wont work. Stupid... i know.

jaycee
10-09-2005, 14:08
The AOL system is bizarre. Instead of using DHCP as the normal NTL cable modems do, they install some driver (which you dont see in Device Manager) that sets up some kind of bridge. The AOL software then sets up a PPPoE connection (like ADSL does). The ethernet connection that the modem is connected to recieves no IP.

There *is* a way to set up this service so that you don't need to use the AOL software, but you have to get their driver installed, and then set up a PPPoE connection by hand. I'm not sure how you get their driver installed without installing the AOL software, however. It also means that you can't use a router.

dragon
10-09-2005, 14:48
The AOL system is bizarre. Instead of using DHCP as the normal NTL cable modems do, they install some driver (which you dont see in Device Manager) that sets up some kind of bridge. The AOL software then sets up a PPPoE connection (like ADSL does). The ethernet connection that the modem is connected to recieves no IP.

There *is* a way to set up this service so that you don't need to use the AOL software, but you have to get their driver installed, and then set up a PPPoE connection by hand. I'm not sure how you get their driver installed without installing the AOL software, however. It also means that you can't use a router.

I have a friend on a dsl aol connection and was wandering why he adsl modem always showed limited or no connectivity.

finding his ip for a direct connect is a right pain, now we just use hamachi but why do aol have such a nonstandard approach to eveything :(

jaycee
10-09-2005, 21:41
The reason is their entire system is geared for PPP/PPPoE/PPPoA and DHCP is totally different. NTL's system of course is geared for DHCP because thats what DOCSIS is based around, so god knows what kind of fudging goes on behind the scenes to make it all work.

handyman
10-09-2005, 21:46
The reason is their entire system is geared for PPP/PPPoE/PPPoA and DHCP is totally different. NTL's system of course is geared for DHCP because thats what DOCSIS is based around, so god knows what kind of fudging goes on behind the scenes to make it all work.

The reason why aol's system is different is because they use tunnel connections over ntls network in order for them to be completly seperate from the ntl data and so the can have thier own contention etc.

jaycee
10-09-2005, 21:50
Yep, that does make sense. presumably it's the driver (wanatw.sys or something) that sets up the tunnel at the customers end ?