PDA

View Full Version : upload cap

kfridge
08-09-2005, 13:54
Hi,

Does the cap on my 1MB broadband cover uploads, or can I upload an unlimited amount..? The website says "usage allowance" of 3GB but I'm not sure if this covers both uploading and downloading... :dozey:

I have been experimenting with a web server and would like to put some pics online - I have too many to pay for a host as I need to let people be able to download the full quality images

jaycee
08-09-2005, 15:01
AFAIK it includes both.

Running a web server is against NTL's acceptable use policy, I think. Why not host them somewhere such as flickr ?

Ignition
08-09-2005, 15:38
I have been experimenting with a web server and would like to put some pics online - I have too many to pay for a host as I need to let people be able to download the full quality images

You want people to download multi-MB pictures from your home cable and its' 11kB/s upstream rather than pay for hosting? :confused:

To me wanting to retain the full quality images is in itself a very good reason to use a web host!

The 3GB usage allowance is in both directions, combined transfer. Really if you're going to host pictures on your cable you are allowed to run a low usage web server, however I'd strongly consider hosting or at very least upgrading to 2 or 3Mbit for the extra upstream.

kfridge
08-09-2005, 15:44
I have over 4GB worth of pics though so uploading them to a host would put me over my limit anyway...also as I have so many, it would cost a fortune for that amount of web space?

A low useage web server is all I require as I only need the pics to be online for a couple of months or so with only a limited number of people able to access

I though that the upload speed for 1MB was more than 11kb/s?

Chrysalis
08-09-2005, 18:52
you should get a webhost, yes it will be a bit more expensive then your basic account, but I think 4 gig of pictures online on a 100kbit upload stream will make painful viewing.

eztutty
08-09-2005, 20:25
http://www.qubefactor.com do various hosting packages, one of which includes 5gb of space, and 90GB of bandwidth per month, for $90 (£49) a year or $8.88 (£4.84) a month.

You could also get yourself a .com for $8.61 (£4.69)

Those kind of prices aren't really going to break the bank!

(they also accept paypal) ;)

kfridge
09-09-2005, 09:43
thanks for the suggestions...I will consider swapping my current webhost (which is fine for what i have been using it for so far) for the advanced package at qubefactor...

punky
09-09-2005, 10:59
Just so you guys know, the cap refers to downstream only.

There is an upstream cap, but its only spoken about, not written, so its only generally enforced in severe cases. The maximum ntl said once that they would like you to upload is 300/meg a day, but they aren't going to suspend anyone who goes over 301meg once or twice.