PDA

View Full Version : Internet Speed Record

Saneboy13
17-10-2003, 07:49
Internet Speed Record

Through a network more than 7,000km between Switzerland and California, the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) reports it broke another internet speed record. 1.1 Terabytes of data were delivered at 5.44 gigabits a second.

The data flow sent by CERN to Caltech doubled the previous internet speed record. This flow is comparable to sending an hour long CD in one second or a DVD film in seven seconds. This speed is 20,000 times quicker than most broadband connections.

Question:- Will NTL/TeleWest/Pipex/BT ever get up to this kinda standard? :rolleyes: ;)

Dingbat
17-10-2003, 12:47
Internet Speed Record

Through a network more than 7,000km between Switzerland and California, the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) reports it broke another internet speed record. 1.1 Terabytes of data were delivered at 5.44 gigabits a second.

The data flow sent by CERN to Caltech doubled the previous internet speed record. This flow is comparable to sending an hour long CD in one second or a DVD film in seven seconds. This speed is 20,000 times quicker than most broadband connections.

Question:- Will NTL/TeleWest/Pipex/BT ever get up to this kinda standard? :rolleyes: ;)

Answer:- They will if you pay for it. But you won't be able to use it to get your Emails. ;)

:D

Defiant
17-10-2003, 12:53
HAHA NTL can't even get the news and e-mail servers working right lol

Chris
17-10-2003, 13:03
Answer: If they don't, they'll be out of business within a very few years, IMHO.

Well, maybe they won't have to hit 5gbps, but these guys: http://wrbb.net/packagesMy.html are promising wireless 54mbps broadband, initially to rural areas not covered by ADSL or cable. They still have a network to build and coverage won't be anything like nationwide at first, but who in their right mind would pay ntl £25 a month for 600k broadband when they could have something about 100 times faster for about the same price?

I know some folks will object to this new service on principle because it has a monthly quota (with a charging scale if you go over) but frankly, as soon as it launches I'm selling up and moving to a quaint cottage smack in the middle of one of their service areas. :)

gary_580
17-10-2003, 13:03
ummmm didnt that happen something like 3 months ago? and werent there lots of reasons why it wont be possible to implement for everyday usage?

Chris
17-10-2003, 13:36
ummmm didnt that happen something like 3 months ago? and werent there lots of reasons why it wont be possible to implement for everyday usage?
According to its own website, the company has delayed roll-out because it's taking so long for equipment to gain the WiFi 802.11g accreditation. They say they don't want to launch and then be unable to supply receivers to customers.

Additionally they do say that one slow connection on a node slows down everyone else on the same node. They will support the slower 802.11b standard initially but then phase it out.

If there are other problems I'm not aware of them, but whatever the case I'm certain that it's a matter of when wireless wideband internet becomes available and not if. And when it does, even if it takes a couple more years to get right, I plan to be at the head of the queue. If NTL, Telewest and others take no note of this, they will be in trouble.

MadGamer
18-10-2003, 13:15
A terabyte is faster than DSL speed isn't it?

Chris
20-10-2003, 09:12
A terabyte is faster than DSL speed isn't it?
It goes bits, bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, then terabytes ... so yes, it's a helluva lot faster than any DSL you can get at the mo, although I don't know what the theoretical maximum speed of DSL is. :)

timewarrior2001
20-10-2003, 09:23
Internet Speed Record

Question:- Will NTL/TeleWest/Pipex/BT ever get up to this kinda standard? :rolleyes: ;)Yes they probably will, unfortunately we wil be restricted to using the internet for less than a 2 seconds per 24 hours. Failure to observe this will result in a snotty reminder from AUP :D

handyman
20-10-2003, 09:25
I belive its around 8meg Towny.
This is distance limited so you have to be next to the exchange to be able to get this.