PDA

View Full Version : New Installation

volatile
07-09-2005, 21:02
Hi peeps, im new to the board and im mainly a reader not a poster, my brother had 3mb installed yesterday and hes having a few problems with it. TW supplied the Webstar Dx100 cable modem but its not working as it should be. The engineer said to him load the CD and follow on screen so he does that then he checks the status of the connection (see link) and there is a exclamation mark in a yellow triangle http://uploader.majestic3d.com/Home/Pix/lan.jpg
Before when he lived with me we was on LAN with a SMC Barricade router with the Surfboard modem and ive never seen this happen before. Another thing that was happening was a new device pop up appeared SM Bus Controller again ive never seen this happen to any PC in my life. So i popped down his house and got the inet working but still the limited or no connectivity warning was still there after i installed with USB. Anybody got any ideas to how this can be resolved?

Ive read a couple of threads on here regarding the Webstar modems and by the looks of it they seem a tad crap!

volatile
09-09-2005, 16:48
61 views and not a single reply. What a load of crap.

Jules
09-09-2005, 17:49
Sorry Volatile it is very unusual for some one not to reply. I can not help as I do not have Telewest but welcome to the forum any way :)

marky
09-09-2005, 23:28
I know naff about tw

if i did i would have said and helped :)

Chris W
09-09-2005, 23:50
which network connection is the "limited or no connectivity" referring to?

Do i understand correctly that you have installed properly on USB?

nffc
09-09-2005, 23:53
Is it an APIPA (169) IP address, or is it a valid one? If the latter- try resetting the winsock:

- Start > run "type %windir%\system32\netsh.exe winsock reset catalog" (without quotes) press OK

Do i understand correctly that you have installed properly on USB?
Surely if it wasn't installed properly, it wouldn't even be detected? Or have I misunderstood?

volatile
10-09-2005, 00:42
Chris W: Yes it's installed correctly on USB, but i think USB is rubbish imoh.

nffc: Like i said in the original post, never had a problem when we was on netowork at my house.

JohnHorb
10-09-2005, 10:34
Could be that not all 3MB customers have been upgraded to 4 yet? :shrug:

Back on topic - if you connect via Ethernet, open a command windows, and type

ipconfig /all

what IP address do you get? If it starts 169., try

ipconfig /renew

what happens?

Mick
10-09-2005, 12:46
Please will members be aware that off-topic posts are subject to removal - thread now cleaned up. :)

Angelus
10-09-2005, 12:47
Fair enough but i am stating he is claiming he has a service installed that is not available.

Perhaps thats where the problem lies

Mick
10-09-2005, 12:53
Fair enough but i am stating he is claiming he has a service installed that is not available.

Perhaps thats where the problem lies

Hi Angelus,

Okay you have told him many times now - Can we please drop it as this isn't helping his original issue. Thanks. :)

BrophY
10-09-2005, 14:04
maybe u need a crossover cable?

Chris W
10-09-2005, 20:07
Chris W: Yes it's installed correctly on USB, but i think USB is rubbish imoh.

nffc: Like i said in the original post, never had a problem when we was on netowork at my house.

Yup ethernet is far superior.

Hmm... check the properties of the ethernet network connection, and make sure that none of the details is specified (ie ip, dhcp server and dns).

Also, when you are switching between usb and ethernet are you turning off the power to the modem?

If you have checked the above, and still getting the error, go into the properties of the network card in device manager and the advanced details. There is normally an option to specify a physical address (or mac address, or adaptor address). In here, type the mac address that is on a sticker on the cable modem, but increase the last digit by 1, ie if it is 3, it will go to 4, if it is b it will go to c. (note the range used is 0-9 and a-f). Then try rebooting everything and connecting on ethernet again.