PDA

View Full Version : My Broadband is only continuous on the weekend !

daviopolo
07-09-2005, 20:39
Hi, my connection keeps dropping out and the only way of getting it back is to leave the PC for a while or turn the modem on and off. I have 2 pc's and a laptop all kitted out with good antivirus utilities and the 2 pc's with a choice of operating systems. No matter what pc I use the modem drops my connection, but generally works fine throuought the weekend !
You can guarantee that Monday evening it'll start dropping again.
I've contacted the call-centre which as we all know is a total joke as they are not capable of identifying me and whilst they do take down my details manually I've had one message left by an engineer saying he doesn't know where I live.
Since this is intermittent and I always have the usual fast efficient connection on the weekend without any resetting required I am convinced NTL are dropping my connection their end as opposed to there being a problem with my modem. The modem is capable of providing my broadband constantly for days on end without any problem and especially on the weekend and even on the recent bank holiday monday.
The light on the modem are as they should be and like I said I have a choice of PC's to use on the net, whether it be my Dell laptop with Panda security, or the other PC's that have McAfee or Nortons all updated.
Anyone have any suggestions or experienced similar ?

handyman
07-09-2005, 20:46
Are you plugging in these pc's directly to the modem or are you using a router/hub/switch?

Roy MM
07-09-2005, 20:53
:welcome: to cable forum.

Try checking your network cable from the modem.

daviopolo
07-09-2005, 21:01
Hi, yeah I got different cables, usb and ethernet and they're plugged in directly, or I use all 3 linked wireless from pc to laptop and ethernet usb wireless for all 3, works great. But since I've had this intermittent thing I've toned it down to the basics just using each pc independently, connected directly to the modem. I sometimes go weeks just using the one.

bobna
07-09-2005, 23:01
is anyone using any P2P programs, using too much of the upload?
also is your wireless network secured? maybe a neighbor is sneaking your connection or someone war-driving with a wireless laptop,

daviopolo
07-09-2005, 23:14
No as I said this problem is on various different machines if my network is going through a phase of working I might think about using my wireless setup but obviously I'm not going to do that if I have any kind of problems. I always revert back to a classic setup if I have any problems of any kind. As for p2p programs yes a heavy upload can appear to drop your connection but that's not it either.
Like I said regardless of what I do or what setup I have it works fine on the weekend but not in the weekday evenings I am not a variable here, its strange how nobody at all who've I've mentioned this too is able to suggest anything logical.
Its like the call-centre you say you're having an intermittent problem and when it does drop you can get it working again if you turn the modem on and off what's the first thing they do ? Ask you to reset the modem then give you an incident number(as its working again).

I think there's a problem with with the network server and how they assign ip's. There's a clash somewhere and whatever its clashing with is non-operational on the weekend.