PDA

View Full Version : 'Damp Trap'

Mr_love_monkey
07-09-2005, 08:14
My friend has a bit of a damp problem in her bathroom, in the flat that she lets out - and I remember seeing in one of these innovations type catalogues a thing called a damp trap - which basically seems to be a box with a load of water absorbing crystals in it.
The way I see it every little bit helps so I was looking to get one.. however I can't find one - it wasn't in the innovations catalogue, it was one of the other ones. I've had a google but can't find anything... anyone know of these...

Incidentally there is already an extractor fan in there, it's just the tenants seem not to have been turning it on (it's got to be switched on outside, because it couldn't be linked up to the light fitting as it's a flat and the ceilings are concrete) - what I'm going to do is replace it with one that activates when there's too much moisture in the air - but the way having the damp trap will help.....

bob_a_builder
07-09-2005, 08:27
silica gel is the stuff in those damp traps, unlikely to be a viable solution in a bathroom, just to much damp !

AndrewJ
07-09-2005, 08:32
I agree end of the day it cannot solve the problem and the problem will only get worse.

Need to get a builder in I guess, bob the builder is about as we see ;)

MetaWraith
07-09-2005, 09:38
It's a short term solution I know, but DIY stores sell condensation collectors and the gel crystal refills.

One example here
http://www.unibond.co.uk/unibond/nomoremoisture.html

Dave Stones
07-09-2005, 09:40
they sell them at homebase, in the plumbing aisle. it's a little plastic box with some stuff in it, lemon flavour if i remember correctly :erm:

handyman
07-09-2005, 10:44
What you need is a de-humidifier we got one because claires student digs where very damp. I think they are around £100.

Graham
07-09-2005, 18:24
The problem with a dehumidifier is a) you have to remember to switch the thing on and b) you have to empty it.

Given their propensity for not turning on the extractor, what's the likelihood that it will do any good?

I'm sure a good electrician would be able to find a way wire the extractor to the light connection meaning that it would come on automatically.

Theodoric
07-09-2005, 18:39
silica gel is the stuff in those damp traps, unlikely to be a viable solution in a bathroom, just to much damp !
Silica gel is the desiccant found in small packets inside the packaging of various electrical goods. Nowadays it is normally accompanied by a warning not to eat it. And a good thing too. Many is the time in my younger days when I'd mistake it for a packet of crisps and try to munch it.

marky
07-09-2005, 18:45
you can buy extractors that do work of the light switch

and also have a timer built in so they stay on for a specified amout of time
also with ir detectors :)

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/666-2704

zoombini
09-09-2005, 21:26
Most decent dehumidifiers will automatically turn off if they get full of water so can be left on all the time.

Problem is that you cannot put it in the bathroom easily, it would need a power socket & your not allowed to put on in the bathroom unless your a part P qualified sparks or it would need an extension lead trailing in somwewhere.
The condensation collecting boxes are available from Woolworths too.

Martin
09-09-2005, 21:57
My friend has a bit of a damp problem in her bathroom, in the flat that she lets out

Best thing to do is cure what is causing the damp! It might be lack of ventilation or maybe the gutter overflows on the wall, cure the disease not the symptoms!! :)

joglynne
26-03-2010, 14:04
2005 thread re-opened. I suspect an ulterior reason for this post.

MovedGoalPosts
26-03-2010, 14:26
2005 thread closed after Thomas had his way with the spammer ;)