PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil 'acts like painkiller'

Maggy
05-09-2005, 00:26
I'm obviously not eating enough of the stuff...Though I do my best..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4204076.stm

And she added olive oil was high in fat so should only be taken in moderation.

Really?Seems like a pretty big drawback to me. :erm:

Ramrod
05-09-2005, 00:35
Saw this a few days ago.......unfortunately: "Researchers found 50g of extra-virgin olive oil was equivalent to about a tenth of a dose of ibuprofen.".........back to the drawing board.... :(

Maggy
05-09-2005, 00:40
Saw this a few days ago.......unfortunately: "Researchers found 50g of extra-virgin olive oil was equivalent to about a tenth of a dose of ibuprofen.".........back to the drawing board.... :(

Never mind I can carry on using it with a clear concience.I'm not keen on sunflower oil as it is tasteless muck.

Ramrod
05-09-2005, 00:47
Never mind I can carry on using it with a clear concience.I'm not keen on sunflower oil as it is tasteless muck.
Yep, we use extra virgin all the time

bopdude
05-09-2005, 05:23
Yep, we use extra virgin all the time

Surely it would be so only the first time :dozey: :rolleyes: :D its early, I just got home from Ireland, what else can I say :sorry:

AndrewJ
05-09-2005, 05:29
I only use Olive Oil anyways Sunflower is awful.

Parents used to use dripping in there cooking :eek: soon made them change that!

Mr_love_monkey
05-09-2005, 06:53
I only use Olive Oil anyways Sunflower is awful.

Parents used to use dripping in there cooking :eek: soon made them change that!
Dripping is great... gives your cooking a lovely flavour

daxx
05-09-2005, 17:53
Dripping is great... gives your cooking a lovely flavour

Hmmm egg, bacon 'n chips maybe a slice of fried bread an some homegrown tomatos for me tea, followed by a 10 mile dog walk to burn of the calories

Lovely :cool:

Angua
05-09-2005, 17:58
Love Olive Oil, can't take asprin or ibruprofen so good for me :D

Theodoric
05-09-2005, 22:05
Hmm. I wonder what the laxative properties of 500g of olive oil would be. :)

Ramrod
05-09-2005, 22:12
Spectacular? :D

Hom3r
05-09-2005, 22:13
Dripping should only be used to fry CHIP In Great Yarmouth these a Chip Stall (about in total) in the market called Dearnos its the best chippie there cooked in dripping you can still taste the chip about 2 hours latter

We use a Quality brand SF oil

homealone
05-09-2005, 22:47
Dripping should only be used to fry CHIP In Great Yarmouth these a Chip Stall (about in total) in the market called Dearnos its the best chippie there cooked in dripping you can still taste the chip about 2 hours latter

We use a Quality brand SF oil

sunflower oil is useless for frying, it has too many unsaturated fats, which either go rancid quickly, or polymerise into loads of gum in your fryer.

a good oil for frying is maize oil, loads of mono fats, which are difficult to oxidise.

otherwise use rapeseed oil, which is nearly as good.

olive oil is best for flavour - it just doesn't like getting too hot, so not good for deep frying ;)

patrickp
06-09-2005, 00:25

Does it matter? You'd be too anaesthetised to care! ;-)

homealone
06-09-2005, 00:29

Does it matter? You'd be too anaesthetised to care! ;-)

which end up ? :D