PDA

View Full Version : Really high latency

janipewter
04-09-2005, 22:36
From about 2100 to 2215 tonight I was having extremely high latency in my Blueyonder 2Mb connection. I was trying to play CS in a server I normally have an 8ms ping in, instead i was pinging ~800ms in game with 2 packetloss, and in Teamspeak on the same server I had a 5500ms ping and 40% packetloss. Web pages were taking forever to load, I was constantly pinging out of IRC and MSN, and I couldn't even sign into Yahoo. I tried cycling the modem and my router, which didn't help. It seems ok now.

Anyone had this problem too? I'm in the PL2 area of Plymouth.

andymt
05-09-2005, 11:04
yeh will my ping times are always around 200 anyway and i live in london
(area ref 03)

AtW
06-09-2005, 03:13
I had this crap in April -- I was fed all sort of crap by support, but finally I asked one of them to change upstream channel -- this fixed the problem, so I would highly recommend to do that.

kumochisonan
21-09-2005, 04:08
I would advise you to do:

netstat -p tcp -n

first, just to check that nothing is using up bandwidth you weren't aware of. Then sure, ring tech support and ask em to check upstream utilisation and downstream SNR. Make sure the PC is connected directly to the modem. It'd be terribly embarrasing if the problem turned out to be a flatmate running bittorrent on the same connection.

Enuff
21-09-2005, 10:22
wow! normally u get an 8ms ping? what server gives u that?

janipewter
21-09-2005, 17:14
It's a Counter-Strike Source server which my friend owns, hosted by Teamhost.co.uk. The box is owned by Openhosting or something.

On a nice day my ping will stick around 4 or 5, but now it is 12 or so and peaks no higher than 15.

GuyIncognito
26-09-2005, 19:48
I've stopped playing online as my ping is pathetic. It's usually about 90. When I first got 512k broadband I was getting pings at about 25, but as time went on and after the latest upgrade to 4 Meg I'm getting the sort of pings I had when I was on dial up. It really ****es me off as I miss my Call of Duty.:(

AtW
27-09-2005, 00:46
I said it above but I will repeat it because this is what solve my problem (that came out of nowhere) -- ask to change upstream channel. Ask for last line support or whoever and they can do it, it worked miracles on my connection -- I had pings of like 1000 ms for weeks!

Rosarch
14-10-2005, 07:18
I am suffering from similar issues - lots of packet loss (varying rates) and high ping times 40 - 80 ms (normally get 16 - 20 pinging other ISP's name revolvers) but it only seems to happen at peak times.

I am playing Battlefield 2 and am sick of tired of the disconnects, I finally phoned tech support, had a slight issue as I run Linux but full credit to the support guy as he wasn't phased, I just asked what he wanted and he asked me to ping bbc.co.uk tried this and the modem died, rebooted modem and tried again lots of packet loss and crap ping times. he said that my upstream power level was 55 which is high and could cause the issue, and has booked an engineer for Monday.

I have checked this when I woke up at 05:00 (I'm on early shift) and the power is now 35 and ping times are back to normal, no packet loss.

Could this be a contention issue, as mentioned above, would asking the engineer that comes out to change the upstream channel fix the issue? They are coming out between 16:00 and 19:00 and I am worried that they wont see an issue as I firmly believe this is only affected at peak times and is due to a contention issue on telewest network in our error.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

Dave
-