PDA

View Full Version : linux question

LINC
16-10-2003, 13:06
O.k. I'm putting down my vagueness to old age, but on another thread it was mentioned that ntl was washing it's hands on Linux.

I've just got a copy of mandrake and am expecting a new computer within the next few days, on which i was going to install Linux. so the question is have ntl finished with linux in total or was this just on dial-up, i'm on broadband BTW.

thanks

jeff.

philip.j.fry
16-10-2003, 13:35
I've just got a copy of mandrake and am expecting a new computer within the next few days, on which i was going to install Linux. so the question is have ntl finished with linux in total or was this just on dial-up, i'm on broadband BTW.

It's just the dial-up. Mandrake should have no problems detecting your cable modem and using it, though it's best to connect via an ethernet card.

I'm wondering how long it's going to be before NTL try to block linux users, they have in the past blamed them for network problems :rolleyes:

LINC
16-10-2003, 15:09
It's just the dial-up. Mandrake should have no problems detecting your cable modem and using it, though it's best to connect via an ethernet card.

I'm wondering how long it's going to be before NTL try to block linux users, they have in the past blamed them for network problems :rolleyes:

with my non-knowledge of Linux I'll probably be the one to do it.

cjll3
16-10-2003, 17:26
O.k. I'm putting down my vagueness to old age, but on another thread it was mentioned that ntl was washing it's hands on Linux.

thanks

Linux works great on broadband, the problem you've read about is ntl (stupidly) writing their own customer dialer for people on dial-up.

BBKing
17-10-2003, 22:43
Linux is fine - when have we ever blamed it for network problems? Windows worms, yes, Linux though?

philip.j.fry
18-10-2003, 00:30
Linux is fine - when have we ever blamed it for network problems? Windows worms, yes, Linux though?

I personally have never had it, since I still have win98 dual installed so if I have a connection problem check it with windows first. However, I have heard of other people being told that it's their linux installation causing problems.