PDA

View Full Version : Needing some clarification

Drake
04-09-2005, 14:44
Hello,

I am thinking very strongly about switching to NTL Broadband in November but I need some questions answered first, please.

1) Firstly - do I need to have any other NTL service such as NTL Telephone and Television in order to have the Broadband installed..?

2) 2MB Broadband is just £24.99 a month yes..? No extra charges (only in rare conditions if the usage allowance is abused???) right..? But that won't be a problem because 30GB a month limited is ideal for me.

3) Is NTL's internet connection fairly reliable..? Just I had a friend who was sharing his NTL internet with members of his family and it would often be very inconsistent and disrupted his downloading and general online browsing.. or was that probably due to him sharing it..?

That's all for now.

Thank you in advance.

hutchy
04-09-2005, 14:54
1. No, I don't think you are required to have any other NTL service.

2. Yes it's £24.99 per month, I'm not sure if NTL have publicly announced any provisions for going over the cap yet.

3. That was probably due to him sahring the connection. I'm on 2mb broadband from NTL and its very reliable

marky
04-09-2005, 14:54
:welcome: to cf

(1)you dont need to have any other services if you get broadband through a sacm
(2)i never get charged more
(3)i get just the odd slow down nothing drastic but i'm in bolton other areas may differ :)

patrickp
04-09-2005, 15:08
Hello,

I am thinking very strongly about switching to NTL Broadband in November but I need some questions answered first, please.

1) Firstly - do I need to have any other NTL service such as NTL Telephone and Television in order to have the Broadband installed..?

2) 2MB Broadband is just £24.99 a month yes..? No extra charges (only in rare conditions if the usage allowance is abused???) right..? But that won't be a problem because 30GB a month limited is ideal for me.

3) Is NTL's internet connection fairly reliable..? Just I had a friend who was sharing his NTL internet with members of his family and it would often be very inconsistent and disrupted his downloading and general online browsing.. or was that probably due to him sharing it..?

That's all for now.

Thank you in advance.

1) Already adequately answered

2) Already adequately answered, although AFAIK people going over the cap seriously or consistently may be contacted and cautioned by Support.

3) Excellent in my area, but I get the impression it does vary from area to area. Might be a good idea to check with anyone you know using ntl BB in your area, although qualify the information with your knowledge of the person you speak to.

Drake
04-09-2005, 15:12
Thank you to all of you so far for the information. Appreciated.

marky- does 'sacm' mean 'Stand Alone Cable Modem' ?

marky
04-09-2005, 15:13
Thank you to all of you so far for the information. Appreciated.

marky- does 'sacm' mean 'Stand Alone Cable Modem' ?

sure does pal :D

Drake
04-09-2005, 15:32
So you just have this 'SACM' connect to your PC then... hey presto..? You don't have to have a cord from that to your telephone line or anything..?

marky
04-09-2005, 15:36
ntl cable broadband

they will fit a box on the inside of your house that the sacm connects to via a cable
and then by ethernet lead to your pc :)

Angua
04-09-2005, 15:41
ntl cable broadband

they will fit a box on the inside of your house that the sacm connects to via a cable

I'm sure someone who knows will advise you regarding the "ethernet" connectition but AFAIK they only supply USB and you have to get your own ethernet cable. (I may be talking out of my backside though).

The cable from the box to the SACM is a special white coaxial type and they should give you enough length to reach your computer wherever you normally keep it.

marky
04-09-2005, 15:46
I'm sure someone who knows will advise you regarding the "ethernet" connectition but AFAIK they only supply USB and you have to get your own ethernet cable. (I may be talking out of my backside though).

The cable from the box to the SACM is a special white coaxial type and they should give you enough length to reach your computer wherever you normally keep it.

i suppose it depends where you are around here they supply an ethernet cable and a ethernet/usb converter in case you need it

Drake
04-09-2005, 15:46
Thanks for answering my other questions. My computer is located upstairs in my bedroom so I hope I don't have to have a long cable going down the stairs.. :-/

marky
04-09-2005, 15:49
Thanks for answering my other questions. My computer is located upstairs in my bedroom so I hope I don't have to have a long cable going down the stairs.. :-/

ask for it to be fitted in the bedroom it can be fitted directly there without cables all over the house

p.s what region are you

Drake
04-09-2005, 15:50
I'm from Portsmouth, Hampshire.

Angua
04-09-2005, 15:52
Incognitas or Graham will know for definite then! They might be online later.

marky
04-09-2005, 15:55
i would wait until somebody from your area comes along for advice on installation different areas different ways

maybe totally different to up here

Incognitas or Graham will know for definite then! They might be online later.

agreed :tu:

Drake
04-09-2005, 16:01
*folds arms and taps foot impatiently* ;)

Jules
04-09-2005, 17:57
Oh the young...so impatient lol

Welcome to the forum, I am in Leeds and I do not have any major problems with my BB :)

nffc
04-09-2005, 18:42
ntl cable broadband

You are, ours came with both although the ENET cable was paingully short and now I have a 15 m XOVER between the SACM and the router.

*folds arms and taps foot impatiently* ;)

Forum at your service... people do have lives and I personally have been at work all day, give them time and they'll come on.

Griffin
04-09-2005, 19:32
i am from the same area & an ethernet cable & usb cable do come with the modem.

Connection is usually very good (there have been a few glitches just recently, but i am informed its to do with upgrades taking place)

spike7451
04-09-2005, 20:02
NTL B/Band runs thru the same cabling as the TV service & does not go anywhere near the telephone system! (If i had a quid for every time i've explained that to a customer cause they think it runs thru the phone,i'd have about a grand in the bank!)
The best way for the engineer to run the cable would be externally from the grey box on the house wall to the bedroom.Spike

nffc
04-09-2005, 20:35
NTL B/Band runs thru the same cabling as the TV service & does not go anywhere near the telephone system! (If i had a quid for every time i've explained that to a customer cause they think it runs thru the phone,i'd have about a grand in the bank!)
The best way for the engineer to run the cable would be externally from the grey box on the house wall to the bedroom.Spike
Don't the phone, tv and bb all share the same cable, but the bb works in the same manner as the cable tv?

Drake
04-09-2005, 20:36
Forum at your service... people do have lives and I personally have been at work all day, give them time and they'll come on.

Umm... it was just a joke.. I wasn't actually being impatient.

Thank you for all the other input, I am definitely a lot clearer about the whole process now! :tu:

daxx
04-09-2005, 20:39
TV and BB share the same physical cable, the phone cabling is 'siamesed' onto the coax

nffc
04-09-2005, 20:44

Umm... it was just a joke.. I wasn't actually being impatient.

Thank you for all the other input, I am definitely a lot clearer about the whole process now! :tu:
Well i wasn't exactly being serious... as i said, welcome...

Slyder
05-09-2005, 06:50

They supplied both USB and Ethernet to me... ;)