PDA

View Full Version : Shocking racist comments

Escapee
03-09-2005, 18:40
I went on a date this afternoon, the topic of racism came up in our conversation.

I was quite shocked when she said "I dont trust black people" and "these bad black people dont do it in their own country, cos they wouldn't get away with it" She also told me to never trust a black woman.

I gave her my belief, that we get far too many bad ones come into the country and we dont see a balanced picture. I also said that differences in culture means different morals, and acceptance of what is good and bad.

She mentioned that the going rate for fake UK passports is currently £150-£200 from officials in government, and said the numbers are much higher than the government will ever admit.

I thought what terrible things she said, anyone guess the punchline?

Paul K
03-09-2005, 18:42
Was she slightly tanned herself?

Escapee
03-09-2005, 18:47
Was she slightly tanned herself?

She was indeed........ from Zimbabwe.

I had already mentioned that I have been out with a few black africans, including one from Zimbabwe.

So she cut the cr*p and was very straight with me. She admitted a few games her and her friend have been upto themselves. ;)

Ramrod
03-09-2005, 19:03
Is it possible for a person to make a racist comment if they are of the same colour as the people they are commenting about? :confused:

Paul
03-09-2005, 19:05
Only if you are white :erm:

me283
03-09-2005, 19:06
She was indeed........ from Zimbabwe.

I had already mentioned that I have been out with a few black africans, including one from Zimbabwe.

So she cut the cr*p and was very straight with me. She admitted a few games her and her friend have been upto themselves. ;)

I think the sad thing is that your punchline isn't surprising.

A lot of black on black racism goes unnoticed/unrecognised, simply because certain people don't acknowledge that it can happen. It's no worse than white on black racism, black on Asian racism, or any racism really; the only reason it goes unheeded is that the powers that be are so obsessed with white on black racism that they are blind to any other type.

Stuart
03-09-2005, 21:24
It is a sad thing, but it is true..

I remember years ago, I went to Barbados on holiday. We were on a beach one day, and suddenly these two Rastas came running by, with the one behind shouting "Oi! Nigger! Stop". I remember thinking I'd be in trouble if I had said that here.

I agree that Racism is not just a white-on-black thing. Look at the Japanese. They are supposedly one of the most racist races on earth, and supposedly consider ANYONE who is not Japanese inferior. Having said that, I have met some very nice Japanese people.

kronas
03-09-2005, 21:28
well if its any consolation ive heard some shockingly racist comments from black people, dont trust those white m'fers, they are racist, no white guy likes black/asian people, i try not to put up with it and TELL them its blatant racism but it doesent wash, and that people is why its not always a good thing to have freinds with low immoral standards.

andyl
03-09-2005, 23:14
Another astonishing thread. "Slightly tanned"? Nice mod comment too.

Ramrod
03-09-2005, 23:23
Another astonishing thread. "Slightly tanned"? Nice mod comment too.
I dunno--I'm sure people with darker skins have some choice descriptive words for whites............
I think that the only thing you can rely on in human nature is the ability to polarise and be suspicious of 'otherness'...

Stuart
03-09-2005, 23:28
Further to my previous post (and as I have stated previously), I believe Racism is bad. I do, however, know that racism exists in and between most races.

andyl
03-09-2005, 23:38
One thread. Two Pauls. Apologies for confusion.

Escapee
04-09-2005, 00:14
It is a sad thing, but it is true..

I remember years ago, I went to Barbados on holiday. We were on a beach one day, and suddenly these two Rastas came running by, with the one behind shouting "Oi! Nigger! Stop". I remember thinking I'd be in trouble if I had said that here.

I agree that Racism is not just a white-on-black thing. Look at the Japanese. They are supposedly one of the most racist races on earth, and supposedly consider ANYONE who is not Japanese inferior. Having said that, I have met some very nice Japanese people.

I work with a guy whos married to a Japanese woman and lived there for a few years. He said they have regular protests carrying banners saying "Go home foreigner" it would result in a charge of inciing racsism in this country. He also said that black people cannot get jobs there, as they are discriminated against.

He gets very annoyed though when I mention the WW2 japanese soldier game of "catch the baby on the bayonet" they played in singapore during the war. I think the japs are a very nasty race, and have changed very little.

I went out with a Jamaican who said "White guys steal cars and black guys sell drugs"
Funny how it seems acceptable when they say it !

the one today mentioned how Jamaicans and Africans dont like one another, neither do Black and Asian people. But we must ignore that because its only the white racists that are a problem. :rolleyes:

Nikko
04-09-2005, 00:27
Ideally all racists should be blacklisted.

Oh hang on - you can't say that.

OK blackball them then.

Oops - no you can't say that either. Now I am getting browned off. SORRY I meant cheesed off.

I should nip this in the bud. SORRY - no disrespect to any orientals - I meant stop.

There must be a chink in the armour of this PC stuff - SORRY again SORRY - no disrespect to any other orientals I meant a locatable and negotiable bypass.

I give up.

Also I meant no offence to any non carniverous, tofu scoffing vegans, veggies , or otherwise undernourished (but who will innevitably rally with I have only eaten 3 beans in 11 years and I am fine) persons when I said cheesed off.

OH no I am going to come accross as a non tolerant bigot soon.

bdav
04-09-2005, 00:37
This is all to apparent at school - we have quite a few people from certain races who will try to twist anything you say into racist abuse. Some just try to bring it on themselves.

Escapee
04-09-2005, 01:00
This is all to apparent at school - we have quite a few people from certain races who will try to twist anything you say into racist abuse. Some just try to bring it on themselves.

There are people who do that, but I have usually found they are white!

The Jamaicans I know are so laid back, they wouldn't realise if you were being racist or abusive to them.

The Africans I know/have known however are very different, the ones I know use the race card. The funny things is though, because they know I'm not the racist type they will openly discuss this with me. I go to a female friends house who is Nigerian, I often say "Am I not getting offered a cup of tea because I am white" I use that to make a point, because they have often admitted they use the "You are discriminating because I'm black line"

I am OK with anyone, but I hate all this cr*p from white people who stand up for other races and make out its only white on black, or white on Asian racism that exists. I wonder if these so called politically correct people could get on and be accepted with black or asian people.

I guess its OK to preach and point the finger, but the proof is in the pudding. Show me a black or asian person who knows me personally that says I have racially discriminated because of their skin colour or treated them any differently, show me one that says I am not a good friend. I believe many of the politically correct ones who stand up for black/asian people (when not asked to) dont actually have any close friends of those origins, I often wonder if its done to hide their past views towards these people, possibly views they had before they became pc!

Off my soapbox.

clarie
04-09-2005, 01:45
Is it possible for a person to make a racist comment if they are of the same colour as the people they are commenting about? :confused:

Yes I think so. A racist comment is one that makes comments about group of people based on their race, that is usually negative. That's my definition anyway. Here is one I found on the net:

The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

I once watched an Operah Winfrey or something about American white people who wanted to be black because they disliked caucasian people. They are racist too.

me283
04-09-2005, 02:17
People from all races will get on with each other; at the same time, people from all races will dislike each other. It's all about relationships, sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. The bad thing is when people blame the dislike on race (you don't like me because I'm black/white/Asian/Chinese/Eskimo etc etc). That's bad enough when the person who is disliked claims it, but when someone on the outside dives in and makes the claim, you have to wonder what their angle is.

Yes, there are some bigots in society who don't like a person because of the colour of their skin, and that's abhorrent. But what is equally abhorrent is when two people don't get on (it happens all the time in the real world) and one is automatically labelled a racist. It's all too common.

I freely admit to strongly disliking a coloured lad at school, but my best friend (a West Indian) also didn't like him. I also didn't like a few of the white lads... Was I a racist? Definitely not, but some would say I was because of my first remark, and that attitude is a big problem in today's society.

Stuart
04-09-2005, 02:36

This, to me, is actually racist and IMO cheapens the fight of those who have geniunely suffered racism. Note, I mean the actions you describe, not your post!

Reminds a bit of a student I once dealt with. He was continually downloading Pirate software using University facilities (something which is strictly forbidden). After several warnings (from myself and other staff), we suspended his account.

He reported me to my boss, and the head of school, claiming I was racist and had something against Greeks. It all backfired on him a little bit, as I had proof of what he was doing. He had also been warned by every member of the technical staff at least once. It all came to a head when the Head of school asked me, my boss and this student to a meeting. At the meeting, we discussed what had happened, and the Head said then he had every reason to believe I was telling the truth, and that he would give me access to the University Lawyers if I wished to persue a libel action against the student.

Xaccers
04-09-2005, 02:44
I heard of a similar story involving a black hospital cleaner who got sacked for not doing her job.
She played the race card and it went to tribunal.
The manager who sacked her was asked by the hospital's representative:
HR: Are you married?
Manager: Yes, for 10 years
HR: And where does your husband come from?
Manager: Nigeria
case closed
If you're racist against blacks, you're not going to have a black spouse now are you? :D

Stuart
04-09-2005, 03:04
If you're racist against blacks, you're not going to have a black spouse now are you? :D

That's part of the reason the head of school believed me. The fact that I have friends from a few different races, and, as part of my job, routinely deal with students from other races (including a lot of greek people).

me283
04-09-2005, 07:42
That's part of the reason the head of school believed me. The fact that I have friends from a few different races, and, as part of my job, routinely deal with students from other races (including a lot of greek people).

It's interesting to note that it was claimed/considered racism where a the other person was Greek. So many people think of racism purely in terms of colour. That tends to be the key to some racism: you often find examples such as a previous poster commented on, where (for example) West Indians dislike black Africans (I think that was what was posted!).

t's also often forgotten that there is dislike between groups of people that many of us can't understand because we are on the outside eg Sikhs and Hindus have an intense dislike, almost hatred, in areas not too far from me; and then there is the age old Jew/Muslim issue. Because those of us not in any of those groups are not experiencing it personally, we cannot fully appreciate it.

But is any of that classed as racist?

Escapee
04-09-2005, 07:51
but when someone on the outside dives in and makes the claim, you have to wonder what their angle is.

Thats the part I fail to understand, I have a problem with white people who jump in and point the finger at the first opportunity. The person they claim to be suffering racial abuse, very often doesn't seem to think so themselves, and are often big enough to stand up for themselves anyway.

What also makes me laugh is the number of times black women have told me they dont like black men, and would never have on as a partner. On the other hand I know a few black men who only have white partners.

One Nigerian said to me a long time ago about dodgy black women "I am OK because I am black, they will not bother me because they think I will be poor and not have a uk passport" he then said "you on the otherhand have to be careful, because you are white"

I have no argument with his words, but surely he was still being racist. He had chosen a race to discriminate against, it did happen to be his own but it shouldn't make any difference.

Xaccers
04-09-2005, 08:03
One Nigerian said to me a long time ago about dodgy black women "I am OK because I am black, they will not bother me because they think I will be poor and not have a uk passport" he then said "you on the otherhand have to be careful, because you are white"

I have no argument with his words, but surely he was still being racist. He had chosen a race to discriminate against, it did happen to be his own but it shouldn't make any difference.

Was he being racist, or was he just pointing out the facts?

Earl of Bronze
04-09-2005, 13:04
I remeber reading a book about Africa and slavery. Now I'm sure everyone is aware of the use of African slave labour in the West Indies, and the Americas by rich white people. But it is a little reported fact that the Africans where sold the european slavers by either other Africans (from different tribes who hated the people they where selling, because they where from a different tribe), of by organised slave gangs run and operated by Arabs. Arab slaving gangs had been abducting and enslaving Africans in Africa since the times if the Roman Empire (and possibly before), yet do we learn about this practice in our history lessons..... I think not....

The prevailing attitude to racism today, is that racism is a one way street, and only white people are intolerant/dislike others based on the colour of there skin, or where they where born. Complete crap.... In Africa no-one trusts or likes anyone from a different tribal group, and this discrimination is alive and well all over Africa today. For an example look onto the divisions on tribal backgrounds in Zimbabwe, this results in the tribe that makes up the majority of the population voting for ''Their'' men in government, and everyone else being disenfranchised.... If that happened in Europe it would be seen as a perversion of society and the political system (kinda like the way things happen in Northern Ireland), but in Africa its the norm and isnt racism, mearly Tribalism.... So history remembers us racist white people stealing poor black folk from Africa to work for no money on plantations in the West Indies and America.... But blots out the fine detail of who captured the black Africans in the first place (other Africans or Arab slavers).

A quick word on Japan.... The Japanese dont much like westeners... the reasons are many and convoluted, but one does stick out in my memory... In the 16th centurary (i think) the Samurai kicked all westerners out of Japan in an attempt to stop the corruption (as they saw it) of Japan by christianity and western thought. Japan spent several centuries isolated for the word, living under the Shogunate (military government) with the Divine Emperor as a religious figurehead. In the second half of the 19th centurary an American fleet sailed into Japanese coastal waters and demanded access to Japan for reasons of trade, or they would fire their guns on Osaka Castle.

There are other examples of intollerance around the world.... One chinese woman in China may have a sexual relationship with someone who isnt Chinese. Isreali jews cannot marry non-jews in Isreal.

History lables whites as racists and everyone else as having been exploited and repressed by us.... but as usual history, if you want to go looking for the information can also reveal astonishing truths that will upset the preceived ''Truths'' we are taught in school.

Sorry to ramble on.... just my 3 pence worth. ;)

Escapee
04-09-2005, 14:23
I remeber reading a book about Africa and slavery. Now I'm sure everyone is aware of the use of African slave labour in the West Indies, and the Americas by rich white people. But it is a little reported fact that the Africans where sold the european slavers by either other Africans (from different tribes who hated the people they where selling, because they where from a different tribe), of by organised slave gangs run and operated by Arabs. Arab slaving gangs had been abducting and enslaving Africans in Africa since the times if the Roman Empire (and possibly before), yet do we learn about this practice in our history lessons..... I think not....

For an example look onto the divisions on tribal backgrounds in Zimbabwe,
;)

Thats right, other tribes captured and handed the black slaves over to the slave ships.

I dont know a lot about the Zimbabwe tribes, but I think the Ndebele tribe was split and formed other tribes. I seem to recall reading that the leader of one tribe tricked all the men to leave the villages, and then went and slaughtered all the women and children. I also remember reading that one of the tribes was formed by a Zulu chief who turned against the other Zulus and took his army into Zimbabwe to settle.

I have always found that when you speak in person to someone from Zimbabwe and mention other Zimbabweans you know, they always run them down if they are from another tribe. They also seem to dislike the South Africans, and the South Africans dislike them, its strange when you consider the mixing of tribes over the years and the rape of women from other tribes, mean most are from the same melting pot anyway.

The two Nigerians I know are also a bit strange, they dont like the fact that I speak to another Nigerian. I guess it makes it harder for them to stretch the truth.

me283
04-09-2005, 14:55
You see, it's all very well when people say "We're all the same, bar the colour of our skin", but it's not actually true.

We can never hope to understand what people from other races feel like; whilst it is simple to say that we should treat each other as equal, that's not always possible. Using examples from this thread, you have the tribal situation in Africa. Now, an African may dislike someone from another tribe, but that doesn't mean he automatically likes everyone else; he may actually view anyone outside his tribe with distrust and fear.

Another example: if you look at an Asian lady who has entered into an arranged marriage because her family favour traditional values. Those values might include her staying at home to have babies and keep the house, so she might be distrusting or suspicious of women who don't follow that path.

I read a fascinating article about a tribe from Central America who were gifted runners. Several of them were taken away to enter into a super-length race against the best that the USA had on offer, to compare whether a natural gift preformed better than years of training and scientific improvement. The mistake they made was to give the tribesmen flashy hi-tech running shoes, as they couldn't run in them. Eventually they threw the shoes away and made footwear from old tyres. They then won the race!

There are many other examples, but the point is that it's not just about skin. It's also about culture, upbringing, beliefs, and a whole lot more. That's not to say that any one race or nationality is any better than the others, they are just different. And that's what people who try to force issues of race seem incapable of understanding: you cannot force your own standards onto everyone else and expect them to be accepted as the best.

Taf
04-09-2005, 16:24
I've recently returned from France where a strange thing has happened...... in the home, in the street, in clubs, and on the news.... African people are now openly called "Black" (they say it in English)... and the growing African population love the term....

But translate it into the French language and you get "(le) noir(e)"... and they HATE that!!

Escapee
04-09-2005, 16:43
I've recently returned from France where a strange thing has happened...... in the home, in the street, in clubs, and on the news.... African people are now openly called "Black" (they say it in English)... and the growing African population love the term....

But translate it into the French language and you get "(le) noir(e)"... and they HATE that!!

I remember a discussion a very long time ago, could of been here or on .com about the use of black and coloured.

Apparently some people find the term coloured offensive, but a South African woman who was black herself referred to the mixed race people back home as "coloured"

I thought she was probably being a bit racist, but I heard an advert on radio 2 one morning not long after that for a program about aparthied in South Africa. (I think it was prog about anniversary) anyway in the advert a woman was saying "there was all this talk about the blacks, and all this talk about the whites. But no one cared about us coloured people"

So it's obviously not seen as a racist derogatory term if they use it openly to describe themselves.

The black zimbabwean I knew made a comment to the effect of "The coloured are the worst because they have the bad of the white and the black"

Only us white are racist though. :rolleyes:

me283
04-09-2005, 19:36
I remember a discussion a very long time ago, could of been here or on .com about the use of black and coloured.

Apparently some people find the term coloured offensive, but a South African woman who was black herself referred to the mixed race people back home as "coloured"

I thought she was probably being a bit racist, but I heard an advert on radio 2 one morning not long after that for a program about aparthied in South Africa. (I think it was prog about anniversary) anyway in the advert a woman was saying "there was all this talk about the blacks, and all this talk about the whites. But no one cared about us coloured people"

So it's obviously not seen as a racist derogatory term if they use it openly to describe themselves.

The black zimbabwean I knew made a comment to the effect of "The coloured are the worst because they have the bad of the white and the black"

Only us white are racist though. :rolleyes:

In South Africa they differentiate between "Black" being the Africans and "coloured" being mixed race, I believe. I have family out there, so I can try to find out.

Only us white are racist though

Sadly that is the impression given, and more often than not it is not the people who are supposedly "victims" that claim racism, but someone on the outside trying to be oh so politically correct. I don't think they realise the damage they actually do.

andyl
04-09-2005, 19:57
Funnily enough us politically correct folk are aware that racisam is not a one way street. We are also, however, aware of the relaities of the domestic situation which is the one that impacts on most of us, particularly at this moment people of Asian descent.

That's not to demean anyone condemning racism from wherever it comes (black on Asian, asian on black, Japanese whatever) but just, I guess, a sense of local priorities. I agree with me283 (blimey!) in that it is much more than just skin colour (though that makes racist differentiation much easier) but about culture etc. The problem often - to me at least - is whether people celebrate and enjoy cultural diversity, or fear or resent it.

me283
04-09-2005, 20:15
I agree with me283 (blimey!)

Steady on, don't want any mods on our backs again... ;)

andyl
04-09-2005, 20:20
Steady on, don't want any mods on our backs again... ;)
I'd like to reply but...............

Xaccers
04-09-2005, 20:48
In South Africa they differentiate between "Black" being the Africans and "coloured" being mixed race, I believe. I have family out there, so I can try to find out.

According to my gf, coloureds are the sandpeople, they're tanned rather than black and tend to have very leathery skin (hope I've got that right)

And if you and Andyl don't watch out, you'll get reported for not letting others take part in the thread *grin*

me283
04-09-2005, 20:52
I'd like to reply but...............

I can't reply... don't want to hog this thread...

According to my gf, coloureds are the sandpeople, they're tanned rather than black and tend to have very leathery skin (hope I've got that right)

And if you and Andyl don't watch out, you'll get reported for not letting others take part in the thread *grin*

OI! Keep out of this, it's a private discussion! Who invited you?! Oh sorry, my mistake...;) :jk:

Ramrod
04-09-2005, 21:30
A racist comment is one that makes comments about group of people based on their race, that is usually negative. That's my definition anyway. Here is one I found on the net:
I once watched an Operah Winfrey or something about American white people who wanted to be black because they disliked caucasian people. They are racist too.I'm not sure about that...........I am Latvian, yet I don't trust (or particularly like) most Latvians and I think that they are a damaged people. Thats not a racist comment imo, since I am one of them. :shrug:
Now if I was to talk about Scots or the Welsh in that way then I would feel I was being racist......

me283
04-09-2005, 21:34
I'm not sure about that...........I am Latvian, yet I don't trust (or particularly like) most Latvians and I think that they are a damaged people. Thats not a racist comment imo, since I am one of them. :shrug:
Now if I was to talk about Scots or the Welsh in that way then I would feel I was being racist......

But would you feel that a French person was being racist if they said the same thing about Latvians?

Ramrod
04-09-2005, 21:38
In South Africa they differentiate between "Black" being the Africans and "coloured" being mixed race, I believe. I have family out there, so I can try to find out.I used to live there........the races were classed as follows (in order of superiority):
1) White Africaaners
2) White Non-Africaaners
3) 'Indians'--Pacistanis/Indians etc...
4) Coloureds ('half casts')
5) Blacks

1 & 2 could live side by side
3 had to live in their own areas
4 & 5 could live side by side in their own areas

But would you feel that a French person was being racist if they said the same thing about Latvians?Yes, because I feel it to be true....
Now if I was English ( with no experience of Latvians) and a Frenchman said that about Latvians I may well feel it was racist (as you seem to)

me283
04-09-2005, 21:43
I used to live there........the races were classed as follows (in order of superiority):
1) White Africaaners
2) White Non-Africaaners
3) 'Indians'--Pacistanis/Indians etc...
4) Coloureds ('half casts')
5) Blacks

1 & 2 could live side by side
3 had to live in their own areas
4 & 5 could live side by side in their own areas

Thankfully that has changed greatly now.

Yes, because I feel it to be true....
Now if I was English ( with no experience of Latvians) and a Frenchman said that about Latvians I may well feel it was racist (as you seem to)

No, I'm not saying it is or it isn't. I'm just interested in the concept that a comment may or may not be racist, depending on who says it. In this example, it is OK for someone to make a comment about their own race, but if an outsider says the same thing it can be classed as racism... even if it's true, it seems?

Ramrod
04-09-2005, 21:49
No, I'm not saying it is or it isn't. I'm just interested in the concept that a comment may or may not be racist, depending on who says it. In this example, it is OK for someone to make a comment about their own race, but if an outsider says the same thing it can be classed as racism... even if it's true, it seems?The knee jerk reaction will be to class any negative comment about another nation/colour as racism...........even if it's true--which is sad, because the truth should be acknowledged--even if it's unpalatable or uncomfortable.
Unfortunatly, racists have given negative comments about other races/colours etc. a bad press...
The same happened with eugenics once Hitler went over the top (course the Americans were merrily at it decades before)

Faulty
05-09-2005, 01:19

And if you and Andyl don't watch out, you'll get reported for not letting others take part in the thread *grin* WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD PAY MORE ATTENTION BEFOR YOU SAY/TYPE ANYTHING, THEY ARE CALLED THEY SAN PEOPLE, AND UNTIL YOU KNOW MORE ABOUT THEM YOU SHOULDNT MAKE A COMMENT!:mad:

andyl
05-09-2005, 08:38
I'm not sure about that...........I am Latvian, yet I don't trust (or particularly like) most Latvians and I think that they are a damaged people. Thats not a racist comment imo, since I am one of them. :shrug:

The question is do you not trust or like Latvians by virtue simply of them being Latvians and, therefore, do you regard all Latvians as untrustworthy and dislikeable?

ScaredWebWarrior
05-09-2005, 10:48
WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD PAY MORE ATTENTION BEFOR YOU SAY/TYPE ANYTHING, THEY ARE CALLED THEY SAN PEOPLE, AND UNTIL YOU KNOW MORE ABOUT THEM YOU SHOULDNT MAKE A COMMENT!:mad:

First of all, there is no need to SHOUT!

Furthermore, it was only someone's opinion - and it would have been much politer to point out their 'error' in a more constructive way.

e.g. San People: http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/noma/hd_noma.htm

whereas Sand People: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tusken_Raiders (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/1930/tuskenraiders.html)

Ramrod
05-09-2005, 11:09
The question is do you not trust or like Latvians by virtue simply of them being Latvians and, therefore, do you regard all Latvians as untrustworthy and dislikeable?Until proven otherwise......