PDA

View Full Version : broadband medic problem

jerenus
03-09-2005, 17:03
broadband medic is not working today. when i click for an assistant it's not working, the error comes and says that the page won't be displayed.

i tried to uninstall but i couldn't find it in add/remove programs.
what can i do?

Paul K
03-09-2005, 17:05
Have you tried re-installing it over itself? It might help and if it still refuses to work it might put the entries back into the Add/remove programs list again.

jerenus
03-09-2005, 17:08
no , i tried that one also, still i couldn't find it in add/remove

patrickp
03-09-2005, 18:06
broadband medic is not working today. when i click for an assistant it's not working, the error comes and says that the page won't be displayed.

what can i do?

ntl seem to be having problems ATM, jerenus; it's possible Broadband Headache needs to log on somewhere that's not responding.

Oh, the perils of using ISP provided software! Are you sure you're looking for the Add/Remove Programs entry in an administrator account? Or might it be there under a name you hadn't thought of?

The only other thing I can think of is using a driver cleaner to remove registry entries, then deleting the BB folder, which should be in Program Files. Risky, though. I very much doubt ntl have thought far enough ahead to provide a removal facility...

All you can do is learn the lesson that you should never install ISP provided software and move on... ;-(

Chris W
03-09-2005, 23:10

what can i do?

It sounds like BBmedic isn't connecting to the Motive servers properly, so nothing you can do from your end.

However, if you're still having problems in a couple of days, i'll dig up the link with instructions on how to remove broadband medic.

jerenus
04-09-2005, 22:40
it works 2 minutes then its working. can you find how to remove it?

Roy MM
04-09-2005, 22:51
Never installed it, heard to many bad reports of how intrusive it was.

Chris W
05-09-2005, 01:30
it works 2 minutes then its working. can you find how to remove it?

This should do the trick...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=453954&postcount=4

jerenus
05-09-2005, 16:36
thanks for the information, but i couldn't do the last step, because i couldn't find it in add/remove prgrams.

Chris W
05-09-2005, 20:29
thanks for the information, but i couldn't do the last step, because i couldn't find it in add/remove prgrams.

That isn't a problem... the other steps will remove it... it is just that sometimes it is necessary to get rid of it from add/remove programs as well

jerenus
06-09-2005, 11:47
still its not removed, because i tried to install again and check whether its uninstlled fully or not. when i open setup file, there is an error says set up idetified that there is already ntl broadband medic is installed.

patrickp
06-09-2005, 19:02
still its not removed, because i tried to install again and check whether its uninstlled fully or not. when i open setup file, there is an error says set up idetified that there is already ntl broadband medic is installed.

Are you doing all this in an account with administrative rights, jerenus? Things sometimes install/uninstall incompletely if you try to do so in a non-administrative account; apart from the operations you simply can't do otherwise.

jerenus
06-09-2005, 20:48
yes, u r right. i am always on administator account, i don't have any other account.

patrickp
07-09-2005, 09:09
yes, u r right. i am always on administator account, i don't have any other account.

Not very secure, jerenus, if you set up a user account (or accounts - I keep an extra one where I don't start all the stuff I start for my main account, for games etc) and use that/those for all your normal activities, it can reduce the damage to your system considerably if your machine gets compromised.

Anyway, what you could try is to download and install jv16 Power Tools - you can get the last freeware version from http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/index.html (link courtesy of homealone) or the current commercial version from http://www.macecraft.com/ . Fire it up, select the Registry Tools section, and look for and Remove any references to Broadband Headache. Then go to the Starting Programs section and, again, Remove any references to BBM. Delete any BBM folders in program Files, as well, but don't empty your recycle bin 'till you're sure that this hasn't adversely affected your system. You can also restore any registry entries you removed with it from jv16's backup facility.

Reboot, cross every digit you have, and maybe your system will now be Broadband Headache-free! And _don't_ reinstall it! ;-)

Patrick