PDA

View Full Version : what is the contention

andymt
03-09-2005, 15:38
I am interested to see if there is any way of finding out how many ppl share your pipe?

or finding out how congested or empty the cable is around you, for internet?
Prob a silly question, but does anyone have any ideas?

Florence
03-09-2005, 15:59
not that i know of but it shows up on tests your ISP can run if u know the pipes of the 20:1/50:1 (ADSL) and the ip's of the routers that show up in tracert as for Cable that would need someone with more knowledge of the NTL network.

andymt
03-09-2005, 17:36
yeh thanks!!

(im on tw 2mb btw)

Florence
03-09-2005, 18:13
I will see what I can find out about Telewest but no promises it is similar to NTL the ex C&W areas anyway.

andymt
03-09-2005, 20:08
thanks!!

I live in london, area reference 03 lol

Ignition
04-09-2005, 12:37
not that i know of but it shows up on tests your ISP can run if u know the pipes of the 20:1/50:1 (ADSL) and the ip's of the routers that show up in tracert as for Cable that would need someone with more knowledge of the NTL network.

You what? :confused:

ISPs can't tell you any more than I could as far as DSL goes, you'd have to speak to BT as they are the only people who know the size of the VPs on their exchanges and how many users on what packages are on those VPs.

As far as Telewest goes it's actually more similar to the ntl Langley network not Ex-CWC as far as internet provision goes, and the only way to find out would be to get the guy's MAC / IP / first hop address depending how TW are doing it, and speak to a friend of yours who works for Telewest and ask him for the numbers and tiers of service of the customers on both that chap's downstream and upstream.

An easy way is just to count the number of modems on the cable interface though, that gives a rough guide, even better is to look at the traffic graphs for the customer's upstream and downstream. Course you need access to TW's MRTG to do this :)

andymt
04-09-2005, 15:58
lol so can anyone find out how many customers are on my pipe and if it is a good or bad no,

cause im on 2mb, and i only get download speeds of 220kbps from a good server,
it should be 256kbps.

my ip is 82.43.121.xxx

telewest area reference 03

Admin Edit (Stuart C): andymt, it's not generally a good idea to put personally identifiable details such as full IP addresses on a public forum.