PDA

View Full Version : Voip in the wild

bucketbakereturn
03-09-2005, 10:46
Mornin all

Moving house shortly and will end up on a BT line.

Now i've been reading around this whole VOIP thing but i'm really not sure if i can make it work.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router, and i'm also used to having a DECT wireless phone and ans machine combined.

We have various friends throughtout the UK but also in Mexico, France, USA and Thailand.

Has anyone seen a combined DECT wireless phone and ans machine that will also do VOIP? I've seen the Dualphone but not with a ans machine included.

If i understand the technology correctly, once i've signed up with a provider it should only be a matter of plugging the VOIP phone into the router, is that correct?

Does the VOIP work as seamlessly in the wild as i hope it will?

Let me know ur thoughts, experiences and suggestions.

Cheers

setch
03-09-2005, 11:03
Visit vonage.co.uk. They charge under a tenner per month with unlimited local and national calls. They provide you with an ethernet adapter that plugs into your router and then your regular dec phone plugs into the adapter.

I don't have one, but it looks really simple and I am really considering getting one.

Setch

etccarmageddon
03-09-2005, 11:28
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=32464&highlight=vonage

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=23210&highlight=vonage

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=31669

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=31708

this is a wireless VOIP phone:-

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=1948&CategoryID=319&ShopGroupID=77

the only one that I know of which will work provided you have a wireless router (in theory). it effectively replaces you DECT phone. your alternative is to buy a 'box' like this:-

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ShopGroupID=77&CategoryID=320&ProductID=2222

this box plugs into your router and you then plug your standard BT connector into the box - so you could plug your answering machine and DECT base unit into the box and use your existing setup.

vonage isn't something I'd recommend if you're doing loads of outside the UK calls as they aren't a true VOIP provider - they are an alternative telcoms company which provides cheap rates by using VOIP.

look into other VOIP providers before you jump in with vonage - also note vonage hardware which you pay up front for at around £30 also has a very sneaky concealed £25 cancellation charge if you want to leave them plus their hardware is locked so it's a nice door stop when you decide to change to another voip company.

vonage are great though if you aren't wanting to get into the technical side of it and want a quick plug/play solution - also best for those who make loads of uk calls as vonage charge £10 a month which includes all your uk landline calls.

if you're wondering what the bandwidth required is - it's 64k each way which means the base NTL 1m product will work BUT if you do lots of uploading etc then you might consider either upgrading to a higher tier or setting up QOS priorities on your router.

I'm with sipgate and I use the linksys PAP adaptor which I plug a normal BT phone into. It cost me £50 to setup but now I dont pay any monthly line rental. Sometimes my calls aren't too good (echoy) but often the line quality is better than the BT line I had. It's early days so I accept it's not perfect yet.

There are some companies which offer deals like 500 worldwide mins for £5 a month - probably the kind of solution you're looking for.

some useful links for you:-

www.voipuser.org - loads of help here including a forum

www.voiptalk.org/products/index.php - another provider

Roy MM
03-09-2005, 11:36
G talk, free calls via voip.

bucketbakereturn
03-09-2005, 12:02
nice post etccarmageddon, lots to look at. Like the idea of the PAP box, but its only tempered by the fact taht in order to get a better speed for internet i'll prob end up goin to another provider instead of BT but that will mean having a BT line. Me thinks i've some costs to look at.

Cheers

etccarmageddon
03-09-2005, 13:46
I ditched my BT line and now just have NTL cable modem - saving £10 a month. stick with NTL if I were in your shoes - dont go to ADSL!

bucketbakereturn
03-09-2005, 13:49
wish i could but where i'm moving to BT36 is one of the areas not yet NTL enabled here in Belfast. I end up with that Freedom rubbish which really isn't satisfactory, never mind having to go to Sky or Freeview :rolleyes:

Are u making a comment regards ADSL generally or in relation to VOIP?

etccarmageddon
03-09-2005, 17:16
...Are u making a comment regards ADSL generally or in relation to VOIP?in relation to VOIP, if you're forced to have a BT line you might be better off just subscribing to one of those cheap long distance providers rather than shelling out dosh on a linksys PAP.

but there's this thing called 'naked DSL' which OFCOM might force BT to provide within the next year or 2 - that's where you can rent the BT for your ADSL connection only - ie. a cheaper line rental but it's only there to give you broadband.

also remember that if your friends abroad are using skype or sipgate then you can call them free provided you're on the same voip provider - if they're on landlines then a cheap long distance carrier via your bt line might be a less fuss option. another thing you can do is use a cheap set of headphones and dial out using your pc via skype or sipgate - this saves on having the voip adaptor box.

in relation to ADSL compared to NTL - I'd always go for cable if you have a choice as you dont get forced to have a bt line and the chances of higher speeds are greater with cable than ADSL especially the further you are from the nearest BT exchange.