PDA

View Full Version : What is a router?

Theodoric
24-06-2003, 19:59
To me it's a woodworking tool that I got for Xmas many years ago, used once and haven't used since. However, from the firewall thread (and elsewhere), I now know that it's also a computer thingie. So a few questions.

1) What is it, how big is it and how much does it cost?

2) How easy is it to set up?

3) Claims are being made that you really need it, in addition to a software firewall, to get the best protection for your PC. Is this true?

4) Nothing comes without a price, so:

a) Does it slow down your internet access?

b) Even more importantly, can it produce subtle problems that will have you tearing your hair out and posting here in despair?

Nor
24-06-2003, 20:05
1) What is it, how big is it and how much does it cost?

It routes traffic on a network, much cleverer than a hub or a switch. Can provide NAT so all computers accessing the internet through it only show one IP. Is about the size of your cable modem, £50 approx.

2) How easy is it to set up?

Easy, plug it in and go basically. It plugs into your Cable modem, then PC's plug into it.

3) Claims are being made that you really need it, in addition to a software firewall, to get the best protection for your PC. Is this true?

You don't need it at all, but it can be handy if you want to share an internet connection with a few PC's

4) Nothing comes without a price, so:

a) Does it slow down your internet access?

No doesn't affect internet access speed, but may make it more difficult to host games, recieve files in IRC. You have to set up port forwarding etc to let a few things through it.

b) Even more importantly, can it produce subtle problems that will have you tearing your hair out and posting here in despair?

Doubt it really, but it does add another bit of kit with the potential to go wrong

Overall, if you need to share an internet connection a router is your best option. To share an internet connection with a hub requires the PC connected to the CM to be on for the other PCs to have access to the net, route means all PC's have equal rights to use the internet when they want.

Theodoric
24-06-2003, 20:08
Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like I might not need it then. I was really looking at the claims that for the strongest PC defence you should have one.

Nor
24-06-2003, 20:15
I suppose it does add security to some extent by blocking ports and providing NAT but for normal use a software firewall and an anti virus program is as mcuh security as you need really.

Could get a router with firewall features I guess.

david_w2k
24-06-2003, 20:16
I would definatly recommend one (excuse spelling). See my posts in the firewall thread.

th'engineer
24-06-2003, 20:19
Yes same here the belkin is a good all rounder

homealone
24-06-2003, 20:27
Originally posted by Theodoric
Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like I might not need it then. I was really looking at the claims that for the strongest PC defence you should have one.

As nor said you need a router to share 2 or more pc's with one connection, once you have one the extra security provided by the NAT function is nice to have - & that works as long as the modem & router are switched on, so no vulnerability while booting.

So I think, overall, the claims are true, but imo the question is whether you are prepared to lash the extra cash to provide the hardware firewall function if you only have one pc. I don't think I would - but it's your call. :)

Gaz

Nor
24-06-2003, 21:03
Remember though even if you have a router it doesn't make you impenetrable. Truth is, a determined hacker can get past just about anything. The thing is, hackers aren't interested in joe bloggs.

You can avoid the usual script kiddy stuff with a software firewall, upto date anti virus and common sense. A hardware firewall will be no use at all if you don't use common sense. It can't stop trojans, it can't stop virii. You need anti virus to detect them and common sense when using the firewall to be sure you don't give them access to the internet should you get one.

Alan Waddington
24-06-2003, 21:19
To make the router nice and secure, turn off any remote management options and change the default password.

That way no script kiddies can change your router settings. I haven't seen it done, but having realised that I could do it, it's certain to have occurred to others.

homealone
24-06-2003, 21:23
Originally posted by Nor
Remember though even if you have a router it doesn't make you impenetrable. Truth is, a determined hacker can get past just about anything. The thing is, hackers aren't interested in joe bloggs.

You can avoid the usual script kiddy stuff with a software firewall, upto date anti virus and common sense. A hardware firewall will be no use at all if you don't use common sense. It can't stop trojans, it can't stop virii. You need anti virus to detect them and common sense when using the firewall to be sure you don't give them access to the internet should you get one.

absolutely, it's a good idea to regularly check you have the latest firmware, of course.

I always think of it as the router helps protect against incoming attacks, & the software firewall prevents any nasties from "phoning home" - or worse! ( except the xp built in one :) ).

The new feature in ZoneAlarm Pro that screens outgoing mail is cool. e.g. set it to detect if too many mails are sent at once, or have more than a defineable number of recipients.

- oh & not@nor I reckon run spybot and/or adaware6 as often as you can as well.:)

Gaz

david_w2k
24-06-2003, 21:33
Just as a side comment, ive found that some routers do actually bloke some outgoing traffic. For instance, when using my FR114P, if i try to use NMAP, it will block the outgoing packets and show up on the log. (The only reason i was port scanning out, was to test my firewall)