PDA

View Full Version : I want my flying car!

Chris
31-08-2005, 14:22
Does anyone else feel slightly cheated by the future? I remember being a small boy, and thinking about the year 2000, and how it was so far into the future, and wondering what amazing things there would be. Moonbases, space ships travelling the solar system, silver jumpsuits for everyone, and a flying car for the family to go places in.

When I think 'this is the year 2005', it still sounds to my 20th century ears as if I've taken a trip into the future. Yet everything looks pretty much the same as it always did.

Would anybody like to nominate their favourite, futuristic invention, or something else about our society, that really does say, 'this is the future!'

danielf
31-08-2005, 14:26
silver jumpsuit (http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Tin_Man_Costume)

marky
31-08-2005, 14:58
What they dont have flying cars in scotland yet :confused:

always the last to be upgraded hey ;)

(sorry) warp speed would be cool :D

homealone
31-08-2005, 15:49
well. as I remember the old style phone boxes, which required you to 'press button B' when connected, in days when, for anyone to have a phone in the house was rare, I would suggest the mobile phone is pretty 'futuristic'.

- especially now they can do e-mail, surf the net, take pictures & play music, as well.

(p.s. I don't have one ;) )

marky
31-08-2005, 15:53
talking about phones i want dr who's tardis :cool:

and i want the solar powered car of logans run :)

Xaccers
31-08-2005, 15:57
I was watching a documentary about the moonbase they built back in 1999, I was amazed I hadn't heard about before!

marky
31-08-2005, 16:00
moonbase alpha (calling capt keonig);)

Jules
31-08-2005, 17:07
I remember as a child (and no comments about how long ago that was!!!) seeing a programme were they said that we would be able to put pills in to a machine and it would come out the other end as a full roast dinner....hmm must have got lost along the way :(

Shadow Demon UK
31-08-2005, 17:26
Flying car (http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=415)

Hom3r
31-08-2005, 17:27
I read that there's been a moonbase that was occupied by the Japanese & Germans since 1954.

Will locate document and upload soon

http://www.subversiveelement.com/UFO_German_Moon_Base.html

ScaredWebWarrior
31-08-2005, 17:30
Flying car (http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=415)

Yup. I like that one. Think I'll order one right now...

Jules
31-08-2005, 17:57
If I am REALLY nice to you will you buy me one as well please :disturbd:

danielf
31-08-2005, 17:59
If I am REALLY nice to you will you buy me one as well please :disturbd:

Define REALLY nice. ;)

Halcyon
31-08-2005, 18:02
Its like 2001 A Space odesey.
We dreamed of everything and everything back in those days as if the fact that we were going from a 19-- to a 20-- date changed things in to a hi-tec digital world used for everything in life. But reality is we are ages behind.

Maggy
31-08-2005, 18:24
Well Arthur C Clarke predicted the sallelite system over 30 years ago and RA Heinlein invented the water bed.Mind RAH also suggested we would catapault our astronauts at the moon. :erm:

marky
31-08-2005, 18:31
Mind RAH also suggested we would catapault our astronauts at the moon. :erm:
they do using gravity dont they :confused:

Maggy
31-08-2005, 18:38
they do using gravity dont they :confused:

No he suggested that we would have catapaults to actually fire stuff at the moon in sealed capsules and that there would be catapaults on the moon.To be fair it was supposed to be so that mined ore could be sent back to earth but he did go so far as to suggest his characters could travel in the capsules...

I refer you to 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' or 'luna is a severe dominatrix as I prefer to call it. ;)

marky
31-08-2005, 18:43
i saw a chav car near bolton today painted in tartan with incognitas proudly displayed in the back window i wish ide had my cam with me ;)

Mal
31-08-2005, 19:10
The future of advertising is here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4200996.stm) at least ;)

patrickp
01-09-2005, 01:58
Well Arthur C Clarke predicted the sallelite system over 30 years ago and RA Heinlein invented the water bed.Mind RAH also suggested we would catapault our astronauts at the moon. :erm:

Yes, a little more than 30 years ago, Incognitas - actually just 60 years ago! What Clarke actually suggested was the concept of the geosynchronous satellite - i.e. that if a satellite were in an orbit where it travelled at the same rotational speed as the Earth's, it would effectively stay over the same point on the earth's surface.

That's why you don't have to keep moving satellite dishes, unless you're accessing different satellites. In fact, the first geosynchronous satellite, Syncom 2, was launched over 40 years ago, in 1963.

Graham
01-09-2005, 02:27
I read that there's been a moonbase that was occupied by the Japanese & Germans since 1954.

Yes and the Sunday Sport had a picture of the WWII bomber that they used to fly there...! :D

Mind RAH also suggested we would catapault our astronauts at the moon. :erm:

And he may not have been wrong:

"The systems under study by NASA combine linear induction, to accelerate the vehicle to launch speed, with magnetic levitation, using opposing magnetic fields to suspend the vehicle above its track."

http://www.memagazine.org/backissues/february2000/features/birds/birds.html

Paul
01-09-2005, 03:21
I want my personal shuttlecraft with warp drive, phasers and transporter system (oh and a temporal transporter would be nice). :)

BBKing
01-09-2005, 08:51
I play this game in reverse - what would you take back to, say, the late 19th century to amaze people. Mobile phones would be pretty good, I'd have thought, as would jet aircraft, which would seem as alien as flying saucers to most people. Mind you, most people then would be amazed at an inside khazi.

Chris
01-09-2005, 10:19

RAH also suggested we would be navigating the solar system armed with little more than slide rules, and studying tough subjects under hypnosis. :erm:

Mind you, he did also predict mobile phones.

For further info, see Space Cadet (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0450007375/qid=1125566200/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-2998863-4144622) - one of my favourite books when I was at school.

I play this game in reverse - what would you take back to, say, the late 19th century to amaze people. Mobile phones would be pretty good, I'd have thought, as would jet aircraft, which would seem as alien as flying saucers to most people. Mind you, most people then would be amazed at an inside khazi.

I always thought a modern luxury car would be a nice toy to impress the Victorians with, provided you could drive it on a decent piece of turnpike.

The problem with a mobile phone, of course, is that you'd have no infrastructure to make it work and would risk being branded a charlatan. :p: :D

dilli-theclaw
01-09-2005, 10:20
For further info, see Space Cadet (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0450007375/qid=1125566200/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-2998863-4144622) - one of my favourite books when I was at school. WOW - space cadet - my FIRST sci fi book that I ever read, talk about a blast from the past :D

I'm starting to go all fuzzy eyed and retro again - in fact I think I'll dig it out and read it again, cheers ;):D

Graham
01-09-2005, 14:07
I play this game in reverse - what would you take back to, say, the late 19th century to amaze people. Mobile phones would be pretty good, I'd have thought, as would jet aircraft,

Trouble is, with a mobile you wouldn't get a signal. With the jet you wouldn't have the runway to use it (or the fuel to fly it or the staff to maintain it etc) so you'd be a bit stuffed.

A lot of modern items have a whole infrastructure that back them up and without that they just don't work (or won't work for long).

RAH also suggested we would be navigating the solar system armed with little more than slide rules, and studying tough subjects under hypnosis. :erm:

Ever watched Apollo 13? When they're checking the figures for the burn durations they're using slide rules.

Space Cadet- one of my favourite books when I was at school.

Ah, yes, from his "Boys Own" writing phase :)

There again, IIRC his first published work was "Rocketship Gallileo" where a group of all American college kids build a rocket, fly to the moon and discover a secret Nazi base...! :rofl:

I always thought a modern luxury car would be a nice toy to impress the Victorians with, provided you could drive it on a decent piece of turnpike.

The problem with a mobile phone, of course, is that you'd have no infrastructure to make it work and would risk being branded a charlatan. :p: :D

Ah, great minds think alike ;)

There agian, you would also risk being branded a bloody nuisance...

"HELLO! I'm on the STAGE COACH...!!! HELLO...???"

So no change there!

BBKing
01-09-2005, 14:30
A lot of modern items have a whole infrastructure that back them up and without that they just don't work (or won't work for long).

Damn you. A hovercraft, then :) I was sort of implying the infrastructure as well, otherwise they're not going to be too impressed - 'that pile of wreckage was a state of the art jet fighter before it ran out of fuel and couldn't find a runway'.

You could reformulate it as 'What would you show a time-traveller from 1896 that would knock his socks off?'.

[they did have petrol for your hovercraft back then, of course]

a group of all American college kids build a rocket, fly to the moon and discover a secret Nazi base...!

Sounds like the sci-fi equivalent of Enid Blyton. 'Damn, foiled again, thanks to you pesky kids'.

Nugget
01-09-2005, 14:38
Sounds like the sci-fi equivalent of Enid Blyton. 'Damn, foiled again, thanks to you pesky kids'.

Nah - that sounds more like Scooby Doo :p: