PDA

View Full Version : Strange lag problem

Swoopie
31-08-2005, 14:17
Hi guys...

I've got a lag problem, It's only been happening over the past few nights, It originally started last
Friday/Saturday... Basically, If I was on an IRC server I'd keep getting disconnected, FTP's would time out... Then around
Sunday it was fine but experience a small lag on IRC. Now since Monday night
I've been getting such bad lag (once again) and Don't know the cause, I haven't touched my computer settings or router settings during then...
It's just not IRC and FTP which are the problems, It also occurs on VOIP Programs such as Teamspeak, Ventrillo... I was wondering if there's any problems atm? I'm from Nottingham...

My power levels are:

Downstream Receive Power Level : -12.23 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 31.69 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 56.75 dBmv

But they've always been like that...

Thanks a lot :)

Shep
31-08-2005, 14:22
stop hitting your cable modem with a baseball bat :)

jtwn
31-08-2005, 14:25
Have you tried the computer connected straight to the modem?

Swoopie
31-08-2005, 15:43
Have you tried the computer connected straight to the modem?

yep... no difference

Electrolyte01
31-08-2005, 16:32
Your Downstream Receive Power Level is far too low! +/- 8dBmv is supposed to be the lowest/highest it can go before your connection plays up (like mine is at the moment). Idealy it should be around +/- 3dBmv.

Swoopie
31-08-2005, 16:42
it's always been that low... I know it has... and I've noticed that when my connection seems to "Die" for a second (Example: Playing on a server then nothing happens) I check my BW monitor and that reports Upload is still uploading, But there's nothing downloading, Same as if i'm in Teamspeak, I can talk but not hear anything, Since I can see myself uploading the data, But not recieving anything, then it all come back...

Electrolyte01
31-08-2005, 16:46
it's always been that low... I know it has... and I've noticed that when my connection seems to "Die" for a second (Example: Playing on a server then nothing happens) I check my BW monitor and that reports Upload is still uploading, But there's nothing downloading, Same as if i'm in Teamspeak, I can talk but not hear anything, Since I can see myself uploading the data, But not recieving anything, then it all come back...Check this thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=26006) for what power levels you should be getting.

jtwn
31-08-2005, 17:34
I have -8dBmV and no problems.

Chrysalis
31-08-2005, 23:51
Swoopie what ip address or hostname of the irc servers and ftp servers you use, as its happening in the evenings it could be a result of the current peering congestion, if you dont want to reveal the ip just reveal the first 3 numbers.

Swoopie
01-09-2005, 01:58
not just evenings... It's been during the day also, 2nyt it's not to bad, I havn't been disconnected yet but i've still got a high ping..

IRC: 70.86.*.*
IRC: 208.53.*.*
(IRC Keeps rising to about MAX: 1sec lag... SOMETIMES about 5sec (This is based on the IRC ping counter) - It fluxes around 125ms - 600ms often...)
IRC: UK Server is fine... (16ms) (uk.quakenet.org - 213.48.150.5)
Game Server: 72.36.*.* (When the IRC Ping rises high, I normaly end up d/c from the Game Server... - Not always though - Same as FTP)
FTP: 67.15.*.*

Everything's "Okay" atm though... not been disconnected from IRC, FTP Stays connected... and havn't been disconnected from the Game server either.

Hope this is enough for you.

Chrysalis
01-09-2005, 03:48
IRC: 70.86.*.*
this I think is theplanet, although this is a /16 range so I dont know if I hit the right isp, theplanet as far as I am aware has no problems from NTL the traffic routes over level3 which I have seen no congestion issues on.

IRC: 208.53.*.*
this one is defenitly multiple isp's but the higher end of the ip addresses are going over cogent, so your lag problems match the cogent congestion issues. To confirm need the 3rd digit please.

IRC: UK Server is fine... (16ms) (uk.quakenet.org - 213.48.150.5)
This will be fine I am unaware of any uk peering issues.

FTP: 67.15.*.*
this one also gave me cogent, so would be the same peering problems as above, although I get slow abysmal speeds during the evenings on cogent (unable to even hit the 100kB cap in place) I havent had timeouts. Although it would be possible with low timeout settings I guess.

In summary it looks likely you are a victim of ntl's overcongested peering, but I cannot confirm this sorry.