PDA

View Full Version : Skype internet phone calls

jimbotown
30-08-2005, 22:15
:)

Hello all. Does any one know how well skype Internet phone calls works on telewest broadband 512 MB. Also could telewest block call, as this is not good business for them?

Thanks.

Matthew
30-08-2005, 22:19
I can't see it not working. I have used it on my PlusNet 2Mb connection to a NTL 700k and there were no problems so I cannot see you having any.

As for blocking I am not sure but I am sure someone will be along soon who does know the answer.

Halcyon
30-08-2005, 22:57
It normally isnt much a question of your connection anymore as most people are on fast broadband speeds now.
The problem depends on where yuo are trying to call and how good a network structure they have there. If its poor in one country, you may encounter drop outs or a dodgy connection.
Generally though if you are calling locally, it works fine and you shouldnt have any problems.

Welcome to the forums by the way :)

jimbotown
30-08-2005, 23:04
Thanks for your replys,but how good is it to phone lane lines home and abroad.

Downloads
30-08-2005, 23:28
My personal experience calling a landline using skype wasn't very good. I was on 2meg but expected better quality. The other end reported delays (they were on the NTL network).

The only thing i could put it down to was my PC which i have subsequently upgraded to a 64bit 939pin 3.7ghz San Diego with 2gig of dual channel memory. I am hoping that the next time i make a call that it will be perfect!!

I shall keep you informed if i do!

Chris W
31-08-2005, 02:00
If you are thinking of SkypeOut, you might want to investigate similar VOIP offerings such as www.vonage.co.uk and BT's option.

These allow you to use your existing phone and provide an adaptor which will give highest priority to the VOIP traffic to ensure good quality of call.

I called a friend on his VOIP phone and i didn't actually realise it was VOIP at all.... that was the BT package... very impressed :)