PDA

View Full Version : AOL on NTL

swapshop1
30-08-2005, 18:41
I've been looking at using AOL on NTL cable. They offer 1Mb service unlimited download. Now they claim to need to give me a new cable box, why i don't know? Surely like with BT the 3rd party just piggy backs the network, in this case AOL install a connection at the head end? anyway this means I will be disconnected for a period before being reconnected and have to endure waiting for an engineer to come around just to hand deliver the box and plug it in...... whoopee!!!! A day of work wasted indoors.

Anyway I'm gonna wait till i come back off holiday and my exams are over this year so that I can afford to be offline.

What do you guys think; do i really need another cable box that's going to do exactly the same job but have a shiney new logo? maybe NTL have separated their networks and I'd be on a totaly new connection to an AOL UBR/head end (haven't noticed any AOL green boxes on the streets)?

homealone
30-08-2005, 18:53
I'm no expert, but i presume the AOL boxes have been assigned a different range of MAC addresses to the NTL ones, but use the existing NTL infrastructure ???

IanUK
30-08-2005, 18:56
Separate issue, but if you just want AOL's broadband content on your existing NTL connection then you can call AOL and request the Bring Your own Access product which is £6.99 a month.

But if you want 'unlimited' access then I think you will need the complete AOL package and give up your NTL connection.

Cheers

Ian

Bill C
30-08-2005, 19:24
I've been looking at using AOL on NTL cable. They offer 1Mb service unlimited download. Now they claim to need to give me a new cable box, why i don't know? Surely like with BT the 3rd party just piggy backs the network, in this case AOL install a connection at the head end? anyway this means I will be disconnected for a period before being reconnected and have to endure waiting for an engineer to come around just to hand deliver the box and plug it in...... whoopee!!!! A day of work wasted indoors.

Anyway I'm gonna wait till i come back off holiday and my exams are over this year so that I can afford to be offline.

What do you guys think; do i really need another cable box that's going to do exactly the same job but have a shiney new logo? maybe NTL have separated their networks and I'd be on a totaly new connection to an AOL UBR/head end (haven't noticed any AOL green boxes on the streets)?

Yes AOL have there own ambit made modems. These have the AOL Branding on them

Chris W
30-08-2005, 22:02
I'm no expert, but i presume the AOL boxes have been assigned a different range of MAC addresses to the NTL ones, but use the existing NTL infrastructure ???

10/10 :) have a gold star!

swapshop1
30-08-2005, 22:27
MAC address ranges - theres really no need to have your own unique range, it would help i suppose but the UBR's or other hardware would just be programmed with the relavent MAC code just as in any other. I would doubt that any hardware would be programmed to respond to ranges of addresses. This would be a severe security vulnerability.

To bring a modem online, CS input the MAC into the system. so this in itself states that ranges are not used. Otherwise just plugging my box in from new would make it work would it not? Why would the engineer write the MAC down? To register that MAC in particular?

Other than the name on the outside of the box there is no technical need to send a new modem.

Can NTL match the AOL deal? 1Mb connection @ 24.99 but no CAP? Do CS have that power? I know Orange used to price/tariff match.

I'm currently on 2Mb @ 24.99 - been a BB customer for 4 1/2 years. I see BB as an unmetered comodity - flat fee - no limits - no worries. The last thing I want is having to check an app to see my monthly usage.

Marge
30-08-2005, 22:40
To cut a long story short, it's AOL that determine how they want their members on the ntl network to be connected etc ;)

Chris W
31-08-2005, 00:56
To bring a modem online, CS input the MAC into the system. so this in itself states that ranges are not used. Otherwise just plugging my box in from new would make it work would it not? Why would the engineer write the MAC down? To register that MAC in particular?

CS don't put it into the system.. the engineer doesn't put it on the system... it is done during the registration process. The modem is checked, mac identified, and if it is not in an AOL range, it will not register. simple as that.

Other than the name on the outside of the box there is no technical need to send a new modem.

Yes there is... see above ;)

Can NTL match the AOL deal? 1Mb connection @ 24.99 but no CAP? Do CS have that power? I know Orange used to price/tariff match.

I'm currently on 2Mb @ 24.99 - been a BB customer for 4 1/2 years. I see BB as an unmetered comodity - flat fee - no limits - no worries. The last thing I want is having to check an app to see my monthly usage.

Ntl might give you a special offer but they won't give you 1meg uncapped....

btw have you had AOL before? if not you might find it an... err... interesting (!) experience!