PDA

View Full Version : Installation 'Problem'

Bluestraw
30-08-2005, 15:51
Can someone tell me if I'm being unreasonable here please... (and please don't just flame me!!!)

I had NTL BB installed today, and for most of the time everything went just fine. I had a nice chat with the engineer, and he even told me 'I don't know anything about computers or how things work, I just install the wires'. Fine, I don't care about that!

At the end, he connected my modem and the lights came on as expected. I connected to my router, and was just rebooting ready to test the connection (and register), when he moved to leave. I asked him to wait a couple of mins while I checked I could get online, and he completely refused, saying that's not part of the deal. He told me that the modem lights were on, so 'nothing else could go wrong'! In my IT experience, I know that a LOT of stuff could go wrong (e.g. faulty ethernet cable, faulty modem socket etc). He laughed and told me 'he knows exactly what he's doing after 5 years' (a bit different to the earlier conversations about PCs - he didn't even know that you could do a 'manual' URL install) then walked out the door.

I was just a little shocked by this. Surely it's just polite to wait until the customer can connect? I can well imagine someone less familiar with PCs etc would be nervous to finish the last part by themselves. Also, it was a very simple install for him (just 1 short coax replacement to an existing wall box), so he shouldn't have been in a hurry.

I feel angry, but not sure if I'm maybe expecting too much! I know there are NTL engineers on here - is it normal just to 'up and leave', even if asked to hang on for 1 minute?

Chris
30-08-2005, 15:57
They are under immense time pressure, with the number of calls they are expected to make in a day. It sounds shoddy, but AFAIK his job is officially done if he can see by the modem lights that it has locked on to the network.

White Tiger
30-08-2005, 16:30
Sounds like the engineer was a bit offhand - more a case of bad attitude than bad service I think.

spike7451
30-08-2005, 17:32
Basically,we are not computer trained & not respinsible for anything to do with the customers P.All we are responible for is installing the wireing ,checking the Signal levels & adjusting them if neede,Making sure the Modem locks on & thats it.We are under pressure & have time slots to meet,He probably had 10 other calls to make as well.If we waited around for the customer to install the software & check all the leads,then we might as well install it ourselves!And after 6 years doing this,i DO know what i'm talking about.And i've only came across 2 faulty power supplies & 1 lead in all that time,if my memory's correct
BTW,how DO you do a manual URL installation?

Bluestraw
30-08-2005, 19:50
Thanks. I didn't realise how much time-pressure they suffer, but still his attitude wasn't good. If he'd just explained that he needed to go, and that it's something that unfortunately he can't help with, then that would have been fine. It was when he said 'you'll just have to call NTL if it doesn't work' that I didn't like it, as if he washed his hands of it right there, with no explanation! I still think that waiting 1 minute to see if I could connect wouldn't have harmed him...

The manual URL is :

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/start.html

No need to put the CD in, just use the Serial and PIN from the welcome letter...

SLM
30-08-2005, 22:12
Just before people start threads about the above link not working etc.....if you are using a usb connector you will need to load the drivers first.

Bluestraw 2 more points to pick up on are.....1 minute can very easy turn into 60 and there is a charge for "help" (or configuring) the pc.

But you are correct his attitude does sound very bad.

Bluestraw
30-08-2005, 23:07
Bluestraw 2 more points to pick up on are.....1 minute can very easy turn into 60 and there is a charge for "help" (or configuring) the pc.

But you are correct his attitude does sound very bad.

I know what you mean, but we had previously had a discussion about computers, and he was well aware I knew what I was doing. I did explicitly ask for him to wait just while I saw if the modem would find an IP address, but of course he didn't understand that...

On reflection, he really wasn't doing much wrong, just tried to 'talk down' to me like I was an idiot, and it wound me up. Seemed such a nice guy to start with, and he just 'turned'. Ah well, such is life.

nffc
30-08-2005, 23:29
They are under immense time pressure, with the number of calls they are expected to make in a day. It sounds shoddy, but AFAIK his job is officially done if he can see by the modem lights that it has locked on to the network.
true, but as a matter of courtesy, you'd expect to see a customer can connect before you pee off into the sunset :)

Nikko
30-08-2005, 23:55
A supermarket check out operator does not wait to see if you get safely to your car with your checked out goods, before they clear down and welcome the next customer.

30-08-2005, 23:59
true, but as a matter of courtesy, you'd expect to see a customer can connect before you pee off into the sunset :)

i think we'd all like to see that level of courtesy....at the least the engineer should be polite.... which doesnt seem to have been the case here.

in practical terms though, spike is right (as far as i understand it...i left the employ of ntl in october of last year) in what he has stated
"we are not computer trained & not respinsible for anything to do with the customers Pc"
if the engineer was to stop with every new subscriber to ensure they could install usb drivers, additional software on the BBinstaller cd, complete registration, as much as this would show ntl in a good light, i cant see it as being practical.
i'm not aware if Customer services give out any advice to new subscribers....but i'd imagine it would save a fair bit of bad feeling (as bluestraw has described) if the customer was advised that a charge would be incurred if they required the engineer to assist with the pc, instalation, registration side of things.

nffc
31-08-2005, 00:08
A supermarket check out operator does not wait to see if you get safely to your car with your checked out goods, before they clear down and welcome the next customer.
Slight difference.

GazzaB
31-08-2005, 00:11
I can see both sides of the argument to be fair. Engineers as far as I know are paid per job completed and that's obviously going to make them do each job as quickly as possible! :shocked: That doesn't mean that the engineer can treat customers as bad as that though!

Another point to bear in mind is that the engineer is not insured to touch your PC (unless things have changed since I left Ntl last October) or unless you have asked for an assisted install which I don't think you can get in all regions. So they are not going to want to get blamed for a customers problems connecting broadband up to their PC. This is a good thing for me as I often get called out to people who want me to setup their broadband for them :p: Which \i'm more than happy to do!

Jules
31-08-2005, 13:11
I think it was more the engineers attitude that upset Bluestraw, I am sure if the engineer had not been so abrupt then Bluestraw would have been happier about it all

spike7451
31-08-2005, 17:31
Thanks. I didn't realise how much time-pressure they suffer, but still his attitude wasn't good. If he'd just explained that he needed to go, and that it's something that unfortunately he can't help with, then that would have been fine. It was when he said 'you'll just have to call NTL if it doesn't work' that I didn't like it, as if he washed his hands of it right there, with no explanation! I still think that waiting 1 minute to see if I could connect wouldn't have harmed him...

The manual URL is :

No need to put the CD in, just use the Serial and PIN from the welcome letter...
Sorry,i was pulling your leg! I do know how to install it that way,just some of our folk dont.Now i have broke the rules at times & installed the BB thru Ethernet every now & again IF time permits (done it today!) or if the customer is a little (tactfully!!) PC stupid,old or handicapped.
It's only good service in my book.
Spike

Bluestraw
31-08-2005, 23:15
Spike,

You sound exactly like the sort of engineer I'd have been happy to have! Sorry I didn't pick up on your little joke - my engineer hadn't got a clue about how to register!

By the way (to all) - I wasn't asking for help at all with the PC, just to wait for my reboot to see if my connection worked (he already knew I was 'PC competent', and should have guessed anyway with the 3 machines I have here!) And Jules is right - it was just the way he said 'no, we don't do that' in such a sarcastic way and laughed at me that got me going!

Thanks everyone for listening. A problem shared and all that! I'm just enjoying my 3Meg connection now :)

nffc
31-08-2005, 23:19

The manual URL is :

Sorry,i was pulling your leg! I do know how to install it that way,just some of our folk dont.Now i have broke the rules at times & installed the BB thru Ethernet every now & again IF time permits (done it today!) or if the customer is a little (tactfully!!) PC stupid,old or handicapped.
It's only good service in my book.
Spike
Eh? The Ethernet is well better. The amount of calls we get about various usb modems NOT working... :rolleyes:

Why nthell still recommend the usb is beyond me.

[I agree with the rest of your post]

Shep
31-08-2005, 23:41
There are actually a few things that actually go wrong, which isnââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t really within the engineerââ‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s scope.

For example problems registering due to the cable modem registering platform being down. A good moan to customer services should usually get that rectified sooner rather than later.

The engineer could have been less abrupt but then again when you've worked for ntl you understand the pressures these guys are under, also how under-rated their work is in the hierarchyâ₠¬â„¢s eyes at ntl.

Plus you may find that the engineerââ‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s job isnââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t the safest at this moment in time.

P

spike7451
01-09-2005, 01:13
Spike,

You sound exactly like the sort of engineer I'd have been happy to have! Sorry I didn't pick up on your little joke - my engineer hadn't got a clue about how to register!

By the way (to all) - I wasn't asking for help at all with the PC, just to wait for my reboot to see if my connection worked (he already knew I was 'PC competent', and should have guessed anyway with the 3 machines I have here!) And Jules is right - it was just the way he said 'no, we don't do that' in such a sarcastic way and laughed at me that got me going!

Thanks everyone for listening. A problem shared and all that! I'm just enjoying my 3Meg connection now :)
Cheers for that,but it's academic now as were unemployed from 13 Sept!No longer financially viable as the contractors are cheaper (i work for NTL,I'm not a contractor!)
I had a deliver router the other day, but instead of delivering it,muggins tried to install it!!BIG mistake!!!Win ME!!The B****** of ALL pc systems!! Riddled wit god knows what,C.M worked ok,but when i connected the router (crap Action tec!!)nothing!Nada!Squat!!
Advised punter he might need PC re-formatted!!
Spike

There are actually a few things that actually go wrong, which isnââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t really within the engineerââ‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s scope.

For example problems registering due to the cable modem registering platform being down. A good moan to customer services should usually get that rectified sooner rather than later.

The engineer could have been less abrupt but then again when you've worked for ntl you understand the pressures these guys are under, also how under-rated their work is in the hierarchyâ₠¬â„¢s eyes at ntl.

Plus you may find that the engineerââ‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s job isnââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t the safest at this moment in time.

P

HOW DOO!!! ,SHEP!!!! Been out for a chinkie with Danny G!(He bought!!) for our leaving bender!!!!