PDA

View Full Version : Indoor or outdoor pets

bopdude
30-08-2005, 02:18
Indoors or outdoors, thats the question, mainly for the dog owners but it could be asked of a few other pets. Do you keep them in during the day and out at night, out all weathers, or in at all times apart from the #1 & 2's.

Just curious because after finally getting our jack russel cross house trained the :erm: better half decided on a pup, now the training is really starting to grind ( without going into detail, the dog owners will know what I mean :mad: :disturbd: )

So, the question is this, in, out, or get rid of :shrug:

Kliro
30-08-2005, 02:29
Generally kept inside, but allowed to go outside during the day as the back doors left open, not sure if the jack russel has a good enough coat to be able to stay outside in all weather, but imo its better for dogs to be outside during the summer months.

Ps theres some kind of disinfectant you can get specially for when your housetraining dogs that gets rid of the smell completely.

Have you tried leading by example? :P

bopdude
30-08-2005, 02:33
Generally kept inside, but allowed to go outside during the day as the back doors left open, not sure if the jack russel has a good enough coat to be able to stay outside in all weather, but imo its better for dogs to be outside during the summer months.

Ps theres some kind of disinfectant you can get specially for when your housetraining dogs that gets rid of the smell completely.

Have you tried leading by example? :P

I agree about the coat, just a bit miffed at him, the name of the disinfectant would be handy if you remember it,................

by example you mean :shocked: think the neighbours might object to me snapping one off in the back garden :Yikes: :disturbd:

marky
30-08-2005, 02:40
opening the living room door in a morning to spread it like butter :Yikes:

Roy MM
30-08-2005, 04:15
Hmm i trained my dog in two weeks, every time she made a squat or looked like it was gonna drop one she was taken out, praised when she produced the the result, she soon learnt the praise was better than the scold, and the back door is open all day.

Nidge
30-08-2005, 05:03
I keep mine inside, some dogs like to be outside all the time, when you house train them put the paper next to the door when they get ready to squat open the door then just lift them outside, you have the right weather to train them because the door can be left open.

Halcyon
30-08-2005, 07:49
I've always thought bigger dogs like it outside in a kennel but most little ones prefer to come inside and sleep in their baskets.
Actually, I bet nearly all dogs prefer coming inside seeing how cold and miserable England can get at times.

However during the day its good to let them freely go outside so that you dont end up with a carpet full of dog mess the following morning.

Angua
30-08-2005, 09:32
It all depends if you have a decent kennel for them outside. A friend used to keep a Jack Russell and a Labrador outside all the time (then again they had the room to keep chickens and rabbits as well).

bopdude
30-08-2005, 09:55
The training with paper for in case is ok, the door is open most of the time and he has on occasion 'asked' to go out, it's just the very odd time that its... none of the above, oh well, thats life ;)

Jules
30-08-2005, 10:59
Mine are house dogs but have the run of the garden during the day. One thing I would say is that if you are not sure if you want the dog now when it is still a pup how are you going to feel 10 or more years down the line when you are still having to look after it...just a thought :)

bopdude
30-08-2005, 11:05
Mine are house dogs but have the run of the garden during the day. One thing I would say is that if you are not sure if you want the dog now when it is still a pup how are you going to feel 10 or more years down the line when you are still having to look after it...just a thought :)

It's not a case of knowing if I want the dog, the dog stays, its if he stays in or out ..lol, seriously though, he'll get there, I thinkhe has the makings of a good 'un :tu:

timewarrior2001
30-08-2005, 11:07
Our jack russel is great, he will ask to be let out when he needs to be. But when we are in he can always go out as the door is open.

However, when we are both at work he tends to have ****ed in the kitchen, not too much of a problem because its on a lino floor, but then again who wants their kitchen smelling if dog ****.

Benji is 8 but he acts like a little pup sometimes. He is a typical Jack russel, stubborn, hyperactive and will fight with and bark at anything.

I dont think that dogs should be kept outside, even in kennels, I dont see what the point in getting a dog is if you exclude it from family life.

Jules
30-08-2005, 11:08
Sorry I was just going by your other post :)

I think it is personal choice to be honest. One other thing to think about is that if your dog is out all the time will the neighbours complain if he barks during the night etc

Atomic22
31-08-2005, 21:13
my cat is out all day and in all night........
he poops on his kitty litter every time , when he has the squits he misses the litter now and again.
he is a good cat and never poops in my garden ;)

Maggy
31-08-2005, 22:40
I won't have a dog because I believe it is not fair to be out at work all day and force your dog to be alone either in or out of the house.Sorry to tread on toes about it but that's what I feel. :(

danielf
31-08-2005, 22:43
my cat is out all day and in all night........
he poops on his kitty litter every time , when he has the squits he misses the litter now and again.
he is a good cat and never poops in my garden ;)

I wonder if your neighbours feel the same way...

(hint: I do not like my neighbours' cats)

Nugget
01-09-2005, 10:26
All 3 of ours are housecats - the 2 that we've had sonce they were kittens have never even felt concrete, and are far too attached to the home comforts (which is handy - they're both thick, so would probably forget where they lived).

The older one that we got in January doesn't go out any more (although he used to when he lived with his old owner), but he just likes lying in front of the fire now.

They always use the litter tray - we do have the occasional problem with *ahem* unpleasantness sticking to the long fur, but that's about it :)