PDA

View Full Version : Euthanesia II

Nemesis
15-10-2003, 09:46
OK ppl, REAL life situation now ....

Mt grandmother is 87, lived a long life but over the last two to three years has been suffereing with Parkinsons Disease and slight Senile Dementure. Been to see her fairly regularly and slowly she is deteriorating. She has fallen several times over the lat year and a half, requiring two hip replacements and a heavy cast on her wrist.

so why am I posting ?

On Saturday I received a call telling me that another problem that she has been having has reached serious levels. She is unable to swallow. Doctors have seen her and at that point she was 4 stone in weight. Since the last time I saw her, she had dramatically deteriorated, the Doctors didn't expect her to live past Monday.

Monday now has been and gone, she sleeps mostly, but has not had a proper meal for over a week, they were using syringes to feed her, but these made her sick. She is unable to take medication.

so why am I posting ?

She is in pain, muscle cramps etc associated with Parkinsons, she doesn't remember anyone any more, the life has dissapeared from her eyes, but she still lives. The Doctors are reluctant to do anything more, as they feel that there is little they can actually do, she will NOT get any better.

My family are very sad,obviously, but most agree with the idea of euthanesia, it would stop the pain and sufferring that she is going through.

We are now just waiting for her to die, a very very sad situation.

My question to those who do not consider euthanesia an option, what would you do ?

Russ
15-10-2003, 10:16
My thoughts are with you, but my feelings on this stay the same.

Nemesis
15-10-2003, 10:21
My thoughts are with you, but my feelings on this stay the same.
Thanks Russ, this was not started to antagonise, merely to get opinions :). Eutanesia is not an option in this case as British Law doesn't allow. But the family has discussed this at length, obviously there are opposing arguments.

smicer07
15-10-2003, 10:40
I agree with Euthanasia in circumstances such as yours, mate. Sorry to hear about what is happening, best wishes.

timewarrior2001
15-10-2003, 11:52
My thoughts are with you and your family.

I agree with Euthanasia, after watching my cousin die I feel more strongly for it.

imback
15-10-2003, 12:04
This is perfect example of when Euthanasia should be legally allowed.

I feel for you and your family mate.

Chris
15-10-2003, 12:35
:(

It's such a horrible, horrible situation for you and your family to be in, I am gutted for you.

But to answer your question, I couldn't personally take a decision to end someone's life in that way. In fact, were euthanasia legal in the UK it's unlikely it would be an option for you, unless your grandmother had made a 'living will'.

But I'm not sure theoretical situations are much use just now.

I'll be thinking of you.

Bex
15-10-2003, 12:43
my thoughts and prayers are will you huni.........*hug*

aliferste
15-10-2003, 12:58
She should not be in any pain or suffering.......ask for her pain relief to be reviewed and upped.....she should be having so much pain relief at that age and stage she should not be aware of much .. other than a dreamy happy fog!!

87 years old........if only we were all so lucky!!

The problems with Euthanesia are pretty complex.............people may not wish to be a burden on their families and feel it is expected of them to undertake Euthanesia to aleviate this!! Thats one small part of a massive issue. Youve got to think of how a system like that can affect the majority rather than the minority!

Nemesis
15-10-2003, 13:10
Thanks for all the support, one question still nags though ...

Are people considering Eutanesia for the patient or to stop their own suffering ?

imback
15-10-2003, 13:42
Are people considering Eutanesia for the patient or to stop their own suffering ?

I would hate to suffer like that at the end of my life, I would not want to suffer like that with no hope of a recovery. also I would hate my family to have to watch me suffer, and be rememberd like that.

Nemesis
15-10-2003, 13:47
I would hate to suffer like that at the end of my life, I would not want to suffer like that with no hope of a recovery. also I would hate my family to have to watch me suffer, and be rememberd like that.
I know what you mean, it's raw at the moment. But i just can't help wondering if some of the family are for it on the basis that it would give them a realease from their grief.

imback
15-10-2003, 13:51
I know what you mean, it's raw at the moment. But i just can't help wondering if some of the family are for it on the basis that it would give them a realease from their grief.

I know what you mean, it would a very grey area in law even if did became legal.

It's easier for me to say it but obviously it's should be allowed not that simple, although I was speaking purely from an emotinal and family point of view, and not considering the legal argument, pretending all is black and white I guess.

aliferste
15-10-2003, 15:52

It depends if she is in pain and suffering.
If she is visibly suffering then people may not want her in any pain. As ive said before she should not be in any pain whatsoever......if she is.. ask for the dosage to be put up. If there is no hope of recovery and she is as confused as you say then a high dose of painkillers should be enough to make her be at peace ..in a nice dreamy happy fog!

I wouldnt get too caught up in the argument with Euthanesia if i were you ...the situation you are in is entirely different from most of the ethical issues that people have.

It sounds to me that people are talking about Euthanesia as they do not want your Gran to suffer........there is nothing wrong with that!!! It would not give them a release from their grief.....and they know this!!

The problems around Euthanesia are things like.....if it had been ten tears ago and your Gran fell ill and you had to look after her in the house. If Euthanesia was a big thing she may feel that it is expected of her to go for Euthanesia as she did not want to be a burden. Or that if she became confused then she may actually ask for it.

Your familly are not wanting an end to their grief.....they are wanting your Gran to be at peace.

ntluser
16-10-2003, 10:48
OK ppl, REAL life situation now ....

Mt grandmother is 87, lived a long life but over the last two to three years has been suffereing with Parkinsons Disease and slight Senile Dementure. Been to see her fairly regularly and slowly she is deteriorating. She has fallen several times over the lat year and a half, requiring two hip replacements and a heavy cast on her wrist.

so why am I posting ?

On Saturday I received a call telling me that another problem that she has been having has reached serious levels. She is unable to swallow. Doctors have seen her and at that point she was 4 stone in weight. Since the last time I saw her, she had dramatically deteriorated, the Doctors didn't expect her to live past Monday.

Monday now has been and gone, she sleeps mostly, but has not had a proper meal for over a week, they were using syringes to feed her, but these made her sick. She is unable to take medication.

so why am I posting ?

She is in pain, muscle cramps etc associated with Parkinsons, she doesn't remember anyone any more, the life has dissapeared from her eyes, but she still lives. The Doctors are reluctant to do anything more, as they feel that there is little they can actually do, she will NOT get any better.

My family are very sad,obviously, but most agree with the idea of euthanesia, it would stop the pain and sufferring that she is going through.

We are now just waiting for her to die, a very very sad situation.

My question to those who do not consider euthanesia an option, what would you do ?

I'm very sympathetic to your situation having had a number of relatives develop the same symptoms.

While euthanasia will give relief to her pain and your distress, it is done at the sacrifice of her life. The 'catch 22' situation with euthanasia is that having seen your relative 'pass over', you can never be certain that a few days or weeks later somebody will come up with a cure or something a lot better than death.

Another factor to consider is that if you search the internet you will find lots of information about treatments for Parkinson's disease, Senile Dementia etc from other parts of the world that are not used in the UK and you'll also learn of 'alternative' medicines e.g. herbs that may help.

Recent developments with stem cells looks promising. See this link:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1748928.stm

Before considering euthanasia you need to satisfy yourself that every avenue has been explored, not just those offered by conventional treatments in British hospitals.

I don't envy your situation. It is distressing watching a relative suffer but all you can do is try your best and take those actions which give you all the most hope.

Nemesis
16-10-2003, 11:02
Thanks for the support people, she's still hanging on at the moment. Just keeping busy :) as you can see.

My original post was a bit in anger and a bit in frustration, and for that I apologise. I think I've come to terms with what is happening.

Euthanesia I believe has it's place. She's 87, no matter what is available around the rest of the world, there is NO cure, she still will never be what she was. Old age is a bitch.

Nemesis
18-10-2003, 10:17
She died at 9:15 this morning, peacefully :(

ntluser
18-10-2003, 10:32
She died at 9:15 this morning, peacefully :(

I'm so sorry to hear that she died but it was peacefully and from what you say it was a merciful release.

No doubt, you will have many happy memories, photographs etc of when she was in better health to reflect on, so in a sense your grandmother is still with you.

Please accept my condolences at this sad time.

Chimaera
18-10-2003, 10:34
Sorry to hear that, Nemesis.

I'll be thinking of you at this sad tme.

fatmat8
18-10-2003, 10:36
the problem as i see it (having come through a similar situation with my own mother) is.
the responsibility that is then placed on medical staff to carry out this deed.

Nidge
18-10-2003, 11:28
Having seen a relative of mine die of cancer it was the most inhumane thing a human could go through, when the doctor said there is nothing more we can do to end the suffering he gave her a double dose of morohine and opened the windows in the middle of winter, cause of death phnumonia. My feelings are with you on this one mate 100%. Animals don't suffer as much pain as we have to.

Nemesis
18-10-2003, 13:14
Many thanks for kind words and PM's, it is much appreciated. Need to go for a while, once again thanks :) :wavey:

hobbie
21-10-2003, 03:08
Only just come across this thread Nemesis--and you have my deepest sympathys .

Nemesis
21-10-2003, 09:02
Only just come across this thread Nemesis--and you have my deepest sympathys .
Funeral has been confirmed for Friday 12:15. Might mean quiz is postponed or done on Thursday ...

timewarrior2001
21-10-2003, 09:13
Sorry its a little late,
Deepest sympathy, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Nemesis
25-10-2003, 09:54
Funeral was conducted according to her wishes, family all around, we all had a good cry, but said our goodbyes.

Thanks to all that posted and sent PM's, it was ... and is appreciated. My original post was somewhat angry, it may not come across that way, but just felt like shouting out, so for that I'm sorry.

Russ, you're a star
bexy thank you :kiss:
Kink, thanks you and you know where I am :kiss: