PDA

View Full Version : ntl - vpn connection

ak47
29-08-2005, 20:09
Hi - new to all this but was directed here by ntl support and wondered if anyone can help.
Have had broadband about a year now and recently started connecting to work via VPN - an hour here and there - nothing excessive.
I have a linksys WRT54GS router which seems to work ok.
The problem is that from about a week ago i am unable to connect to work but everything else works ok - internet,e-mail and i can ping work and no problem there.
Anybody any ideas?
Thanks

Chris W
29-08-2005, 20:14
:welcome:

I presume that you haven't changed any settings....

Does your work restrict ip addresses that can connect to the VPN server? if so it is possible that your ip changed and this is causing problems.

What error do you get when your trying to connect? And also, what type of VPN connection is it...? Infact, do you know any technical information about the connection*

Also, are you using windows XP? Any firewall software on the PC? and does the router have VPN passthrough setup?

*NB- this is not meant to sound patronising- but i know lots of people who use VPN connections, but know nothing about them, just rely on the IT dept! Forgive me if you are not one of these people... ;)

ak47
29-08-2005, 20:23
Hi - I'm afraid I am one of them people - but here goes

As far as I know the VPN server doesnt restrict ip addresses.
I get error 800 - a failure to connect
I dont know what type of VPN connection it is - sorry.
I am using windows xp pro.
The router has VPN passthrough enabled.
I tried my old dial up to connect that worked - very slowly and I took my laptop to my brothers (BT broadband) and that worked.
It just doesnt seem to work on my ntl broadband.
Hope this helps.
thanks

Chris W
29-08-2005, 20:28
Hmm. Well first thing to check would be with the person that administers the VPN servers whether there are any restrictions on which ip ranges can connect.

Try going to start-> run and then typing
telnet

then ok, the at the prompt type:

open [the address of your works vpn server here]
for example:

open www.testvpnserver

then press return. Does it connect, or return an error message?

ak47
29-08-2005, 20:30
Thanks
Will get info from work 2morrow and try when i get home.
I will let u know how i get on.
Thanks for your help

Chris W
29-08-2005, 20:32
also worth testing without the router connected just to eliminate the NAT there as the source of problems....

could also be overuse of the VPN server at work... if all the VPN ports are full, then you will receive the error message you mentioned.

MovedGoalPosts
29-08-2005, 20:35
IP ranges can be an issue. If you work network has the same IP range and your home network, the DNS will get confused.

To be able to offer greater guidance, we ideally need to know what the VPN setup is at the server end. Is it a specific piece of hardware, is it software based or what.

My experience with VPN has been very hit and miss. Indeed from home, I can succesfully connect to my office, 99% of the time via my lappy Win XP Pro, but my desktop PC (Win XP Home) connects only 10% of the time, and then won't do anything by computer name, IP addys have to be entered.

Nb I too have NTL cable at Home, and a Lynksys router. Office is a fixed IP ADSL modem connected to a Small Business Server 2000 network. The server handles all incoming VPN traffic into the network, there being no VPN device other than the server software.

ak47
29-08-2005, 20:44
Hi Rob C
Will get all info tomorrow and hopefull update when i get home
thanks