PDA

View Full Version : Racism. True Story.

budwieser
26-08-2005, 21:09
:) Sorry about the Bullets but i could`nt be ****d to edit them out!:D

"A scene also took place on a BA flight between
>> > > > Johannesburg and London. A white woman, about 50
>> > > > years old, was seated next to a black man.
>> > > >
>> > > > Obviously disturbed by this, she called the air
>> > > > Hostess. "Madam, what is the matter," the hostess
>> > > > asked. "You obviously do not see it then?" she
>> > > > responded.
>> > > >
>> > > > "You placed me next to a black man. I do not agree
>> > > > to sit next to someone from such a repugnant group.
>> > > > Give me an alternative seat."
>> > > >
>> > > > "Be calm please," the hostess replied. "Almost all
>> > > > the places on this flight are taken. I will go to
>> > > > see if another place is available."
>> > > >
>> > > > The Hostess went away and then came back a few
>> > > > minutes later. "Madam, just as I thought, there are
>> > > > no other available seats in the economy class.
>> > > >
>> > > > I spoke to the captain and he informed me that there
>> > > > is one seat in the business class.
>> > > >
>> > > > All the same, we also have one seat in the first
>> > > > class. Before the woman could say anything, the
>> > > > hostess continued: "It is unusual for our company to
>> > > > permit someone from the economy class to sit in the
>> > > > first class.
>> > > >
>> > > > However, given the circumstances, the captain feels
>> > > > that it would be scandalous to make someone sit next
>> > > > to someone so disgusting"
>> > > >
>> > > > She then turned to the black guy, and said,
>> > > > "Therefore, Sir, if you would like to, please
>> > > > collect your hand luggage, a seat awaits you in
>> > > > first class."
>> > > >
>> > > > At that moment, the other passengers who were
>> > > > shocked by what they had just witnessed stood up and
>> > > > applauded.
>> > > >
>> > > > This is a true story.

Jules
26-08-2005, 21:30
Just as it should be...served the stupid woman right!

Tuftus
26-08-2005, 21:33
Excellent.

nffc
26-08-2005, 21:41
lol. repped

Kliro
26-08-2005, 21:47
Haha, the way things should always happen, its just a shame there are people like this woman in the first place :(

Halcyon
26-08-2005, 23:01
:clap: Serves the silly lady right.
There is no place for racisim these days.

kronas
26-08-2005, 23:44
even though i dont think he should have got a first class seat, purely because of racism, i would not have liked the racist to have got it though.

Mal
26-08-2005, 23:45
even though i dont think he should have got a first class seat, purely because of racism, i would not have liked the racist to have got it though.If it did really happen, it's a good put down to the racist

kronas
26-08-2005, 23:47
If it did really happen, it's a good put down to the racist

oh dont get me wrong im not saying that the racist should have got away with it, its just that if you want first class you pay for it, then again i would not like to sit next to a racist :erm:

Gogogo
27-08-2005, 09:25
This story has been circulating the Internet and internet chat rooms for some time, it has also in the course of its journey been changed in as many times.

I strongly doubt if the incident happened at all, though maybe something occurred which as gossip spreads changes into something quite different.

Consider though BA is supposed to be the airline invloved, a reputable airline and what makes me doubt the authenticity of these stories is that no one has, given probably the number of witnesses, come forward to the national media.

I take it like most internet stories with a pinch of salt no matter any worthiness supposed or otherwise.

andyl
27-08-2005, 10:13
This story has been circulating the Internet and internet chat rooms for some time, it has also in the course of its journey been changed in as many times.

I strongly doubt if the incident happened at all, though maybe something occurred which as gossip spreads changes into something quite different.

Consider though BA is supposed to be the airline invloved, a reputable airline and what makes me doubt the authenticity of these stories is that no one has, given probably the number of witnesses, come forward to the national media.

I take it like most internet stories with a pinch of salt no matter any worthiness supposed or otherwise.

Yeah but true or not it's a tale with a strong moral message. Let it circuate I say :)

I work with travel trade press - I'll see if they are able to shed any light on its veracity when we return to the slog on Tuesday.

Gogogo
27-08-2005, 11:13
Yeah but true or not it's a tale with a strong moral message. Let it circuate I say :)

I work with travel trade press - I'll see if they are able to shed any light on its veracity when we return to the slog on Tuesday.

Actually, give a little thought. :)

1. We don't know if there was another reason, was the man a sex pervert? Sometimes things are never quite what they seem to be.

2. Ok, only the passengers and staff in the vicinity, the immediate rows would know, it is unlikely passengers further from the scene would know what was happening unless of course it comes from gossip or overhearing something from the pasengers in the next row.

3. The flight was heading for Joberg, it is possible that other black passengers may have witnessed the incident, if so why the silence? :erm:

4. Any verification must have the flight number, date etc, a story like this should be verifiable. :angel:

5. As to repeating a story that may not be the complete story and verified then no I would not want it circulated, one loses credibilty and spreading porkies is not nice. :rolleyes:

6. Obiviously, if the story is true fine. :)

It's time for cricket now.

:)

clarie
27-08-2005, 11:22
Actually, give a little thought. :)

1. We don't know if there was another reason, was the man a sex pervert? Sometimes things are never quite what they seem to be.

2. Ok, only the passengers and staff in the vicinity, the immediate rows would know, it is unlikely passengers further from the scene would know what was happening unless of course it comes from gossip or overhearing something from the pasengers in the next row.

3. The flight was heading for Joberg, it is possible that other black passengers may have witnessed the incident, if so why the silence? :erm:

4. Any verification must have the flight number, date etc, a story like this should be verifiable. :angel:

5. As to repeating a story that may not be the complete story and verified then no I would not want it circulated, one loses credibilty and spreading porkies is not nice. :rolleyes:

I think the analysis has gone a little too far.

This story is in all likelihood not true, it's just a modern-day anti-racist fable.

andyl
27-08-2005, 11:34
I think the analysis has gone a little too far.

This story is in all likelihood not true, it's just a modern-day anti-racist fable.

Quite probably. I can live with that though ;) :)

It's clearly quite a popular fable! http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLC%2CGGLC%3A1970-01%2CGGLC%3Aen&q=%22white+woman%2C+about+50+years+old%2C+was+seat ed+next+to+a+black+man.%22&btnG=Search

jtwn
27-08-2005, 11:41
It wouldn't be at all surprising if it was true, even more so if this happened during Apartheid in South Africa.

Gogogo
27-08-2005, 14:24
Quite probably. I can live with that though ;) :)

Normally, it's the racists and fascists that tell lies, after Goebbels was the expert, keep telling lies and people will eventually believe them! :Yikes:

Actually, another thought occurs, South African journalists tend to be alert for this sort of event, so why no interest on their part?

_____________--

Actually just found this on Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/obnox.htm)

"Origins:

That all of the preceeding tales are likely apocryphal doesn't lessen our enjoyment of them. It's a rare traveller indeed who hasn't good-naturedly faced a long delay at check-in only to see some jerk try to jump to the head of the line, and it's an even rarer individual who hasn't been seated on a flight next to someone he'd like to see sucked out the window.

At different times the stories are circulated anew with their details altered. For instance, the story we recorded in 1998 about the racist woman on the British Airways flights out of Johannesburg came back for another round in 2004, this time purporting to be about a white woman on a flight between Saskatoon and Calgary. In 2005 it was told of a well-to-do woman seated next to a yarmulka-wearing Jew on a flight out of Atlanta.

We'd like to believe virtue will be rewarded and the patient among us will eventually get the level of service we deserve. However, bitter reality often goes the other way †” it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil, hence it's the line jumper and obnoxious passenger who receive special treatment, not us. Legends such as the ones above help to set the world to rights. Even if they never happened, we'd like to think they did and thus gain a measure of comfort from them. Somewhere †” maybe only in the realm of legend †” someone is standing up to horrid people.

Unfortunately, such legends, though they have their uses in helping us feel better about our world, can also prove damaging and hurtful to those tarred by their brush. In 2001, Hubbard Foods of New Zealand, a company that produces breakfast cereal, erred by including the "South African woman seated next to a Black man" legend as a travel story in a children's newsletter inserted in boxes of its product. The tale had been selected for inclusion as an uplifting story imbued with a moral message, and no one thought to check its accuracy.

South Africans living in New Zealand were outraged by it. They saw the leaflet as unfairly painting them as racist, furthering an apartheid-era stereotype that is no longer valid. Hubbard Foods apologized but claimed it was too late and far too expensive to withdraw the boxes from store shelves.

Barbara "cereal numbered" Mikkelson

Last updated: 2 July 2005"

So the story goes, gets modified, goes on...

Back to the cricket.

;)

marky
27-08-2005, 14:35
i think this more of a story to make people think what is right and wrong

and should not be blown out of proportion
good though :tu:

andyl
27-08-2005, 15:00
So the story goes, gets modified, goes on...

Back to the cricket.

;)

Smarty pants :D

Works as a morality tale though!!

Xaccers
27-08-2005, 17:43
There was one I heard about a stuck up woman in 1st class with a baby.
She called the attendant and thrust the baby into her arms saying "change this for me"
The attendant took the baby back to economy class and spoke with a black woman who also had a baby and asked if she wouldn't mind helping with a practical joke.
Taking the black woman's baby she returned to 1st class, showed it to the snotty lady and said "is this changed to your satisfaction madam?" :D

Hom3r
27-08-2005, 18:08
There was one I heard about a stuck up woman in 1st class with a baby.
She called the attendant and thrust the baby into her arms saying "change this for me"
The attendant took the baby back to economy class and spoke with a black woman who also had a baby and asked if she wouldn't mind helping with a practical joke.
Taking the black woman's baby she returned to 1st class, showed it to the snotty lady and said "is this changed to your satisfaction madam?" :D

:Peace: Beat me to It. I was going to post this :D

Gogogo
27-08-2005, 18:51
Smarty pants :D Works as a morality tale though!!

The more I think about this tale the more I wonder. :confused:

What sort of morality? ;)

1. The racist white South African women of 50 years, a stereotype = all South Africans are racist! They can never change? We know in relaity whilst indeed there may well be racist South Africans it is probably true to say many are not, even under Apartheid many were not! :rolleyes:

2. The black passenger gets preferential treatment, gets into first class! :erm:

3. The stewardess, is she racist did she act purely recognising the South African woman's complaint. Or was she being diplomatic resolving a tricky situation that could quickly get nasty at 30,000 feet. :confused:

4. Is B.A. an airline that encourages racism, I don't think so. Should we assume B.A. staff are racist? Clearly, many would regard such a charge as a
slur. It's possible of course a few staff might be, but on the whole the majority can't be, given that B.A. fly every hour to many destinations no recorded reports of racism ever before, and all we have is a story festering on rumour. :rolleyes:

5. All I know is that some who suppose themselves anti-racist are replicating this tale throughout the net, people are calling for B.A. to be boycotted and yet no firm evidence of this incident is forthcoming. :erm:

6. Why were the other passengers applauding? Were they happy for the South African woman? Were they pleased that the stewardess and crew had resolved a nasty situation? :confused:

Again, I oppose racism as much as anyone else, but I don't think it's wise to build a campaign on what is no more than a lie. It's not cricket. ;)

If there is a moral to the story it must surely be never believe anything of this nature without verifiable evidence. ;)

clarie
27-08-2005, 19:06
3. The stewardess, is she racist did she act purely recognising the South African woman's complaint. Or was she being diplomatic resolving a tricky situation that could quickly get nasty at 30,000 feet. :confused:

4. Is B.A. an airline that encourages racism, I don't think so. Should we assume B.A. staff are racist? Clearly, many would regard such a charge as a
slur. It's possible of course a few staff might be, but on the whole the majority can't be, given that B.A. fly every hour to many destinations no recorded reports of racism ever before, and all we have is a story festering on rumour. :rolleyes:

5. All I know is that some who suppose themselves anti-racist are replicating this tale throughout the net, people are calling for B.A. to be boycotted and yet no firm evidence of this incident is forthcoming. :erm:

I don't understand some of your points.

Why do you think the air stewardess might be racist?
Why are you suggesting that BA might be considered a racist company?
Finally why are some people calling for BA to be boycotted?

Kliro
27-08-2005, 19:16
Gah

/me suggests banning of pyschoanalysis of nice little moral stories

AndrewJ
27-08-2005, 19:18
Smarty pants :D Works as a morality tale though!!

1. The racist white South African women of 50 years, a stereotype = all South Africans are racist! They can never change? We know in relaity whilst indeed there may well be racist South Africans it is probably true to say many are not, even under Apartheid many were not! :rolleyes:

2. The black passenger gets preferential treatment, gets into first class! :erm:

6. Why were the other passengers applauding? Were they happy for the South African woman? Were they pleased that the stewardess and crew had resolved a nasty situation? :confused:

Again, I oppose racism as much as anyone else, but I don't think it's wise to build a campaign on what is no more than a lie. It's not cricket. ;)

If there is a moral to the story it must surely be never believe anything of this nature without verifiable evidence. ;)

Take a chill pill.

marky
27-08-2005, 19:19
Take a chill pill.

darn it you beat me :(

AndrewJ
27-08-2005, 19:30
Take a chill pill.

darn it you beat me :(

:PP:

Escapee
27-08-2005, 23:39

Of course most white people see racism as a black/white thing. Many do not realise there are different classes amongst black people in South Africa as well.

I always smile when I think how a black well to do South African woman commented to me about "The lazy blacks back home" she was rich, and didn't consider herself to be like the poor black people!

I am just pointing out that not everything is black and white!

Gogogo
31-08-2005, 15:41
Of course most white people see racism as a black/white thing. Many do not realise there are different classes amongst black people in South Africa as well.

I always smile when I think how a black well to do South African woman commented to me about "The lazy blacks back home" she was rich, and didn't consider herself to be like the poor black people!

I am just pointing out that not everything is black and white!

Escapee, I am only too aware that racism is not an issue solely committed by Europeans, or those of so called white complexions, I know racism is just as much alive in all cultures even those of African origin. :)

Take a chill pill.

Just making my point.

ScaredWebWarrior
31-08-2005, 16:11
>> > > > This is a true story.

See http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/obnox.htm (Whoops - just noticed I was beaten to it. lol)

But it IS a good story!

Graham
31-08-2005, 19:21
Talking of racism, here's one that makes you think:

White people "find". (http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/photos_ts_afp/050830071810_shxwaoma_photo1)

Black people "loot". (http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/480/ladm10208301530)

:grind:

Russ
31-08-2005, 19:29

White people "find". (http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/photos_ts_afp/050830071810_shxwaoma_photo1)

:grind:

:eek:

ScaredWebWarrior
31-08-2005, 21:33

That's pretty blatant! And from the same news source?

Graham
01-09-2005, 01:58
That's pretty blatant! And from the same news source?

I'm not sure how Yahoo News works, so I can't say if the comment is from the same source (or even "editorial team") but, as I said, it makes you think...

ScaredWebWarrior
01-09-2005, 21:27

And then the front page(s) of today's newspaper(s) show black people clearly looting from a shop - knee deep in water! (New Orleans, in case you were wondering.)

I mean, these people are in a situation where lives are being lost, homes are being destroyed - a whole city is being wiped out!

And all they can think about is stealing a few pairs of shoes or some clothes? And that's not about poverty (just look at those pics - do they look poor? No.) it's about greed - it's opportunism.

Of course there are also full scale gang wars going on - but when Wal*Mart stocks handguns (when will Asda?) which are the looted, it's just asking for trouble.

On a slightly different, but related note - I passed through Liverpool St. Station today - as I went into the underground, I passed a couple of coppers 'interviewing' an asian looking lad (guess it must have been the bulky bag he was carrying) - taking notes. Five steps later - another copper, similarly interviewing another asian lad - ditto on the bulky bag btw. Another 5 steps further and we have another couple of coppers interviewing a black lad - ditto bulky bag. It was bizarre to see that.

But the police presence in London (particularly stations etc.) is very noticeable, everywhere.

But then, today there were further security alerts - which caused me to have to find a different route, so I resorted to shank's pony - always reliable!

I also thought it was very quiet on the trains/underground this morning - hardly seemed like 'rush hour' at all...

Think this has gone off topic enough. :)

Xaccers
03-09-2005, 00:43
I'm not sure how Yahoo News works, so I can't say if the comment is from the same source (or even "editorial team") but, as I said, it makes you think...

This should clear things up a bit:

http://news.yahoo.com/page/photostatement
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/09/01/photo_controversy/index.html

Graham
03-09-2005, 00:59

This should clear things up a bit:

http://news.yahoo.com/page/photostatement

Ah, right, thanks for that...

"we present the photos and their captions as written, edited and distributed by the news services with no additional editing at Yahoo! News"

... so it seems it was just an unfortunate co-incidence.

Xaccers
03-09-2005, 01:30
Ah, right, thanks for that...

"we present the photos and their captions as written, edited and distributed by the news services with no additional editing at Yahoo! News"

... so it seems it was just an unfortunate co-incidence.

No problem, I too thought Yahoo news were to blame, but when I checked the link you gave of the white couple, Yahoo stated AFP asked for it to be removed.