PDA

View Full Version : NTL (indian support centre) causing loads of grief

Bifta
26-08-2005, 17:58
My partners sister (her husband called me about it), is having real trouble trying to get something fixed by NTL, he called me last night as he had no connection to the internet. I went over and took a look, he connects using USB but there was no USB light on the modem and nothing listed for the modem in the device manager (had to unhide to show them), tried the USB cable on his scanner and it works fine, as does the USB ports on the PC. He's phoned NTL a few times now about it but get's a severely irritating indian woman who keeps feeding him some crap about network wide problems. I can't see how a network fault would cause the USB light to go off. At the moment he's told them if they don't get it sorted then he's going to rip the whole lot out (phone/broadband AND TV) and go with someone else but they still haven't scheduled him an engineers visit to look at the modem. It's not the first time they've had trouble, they had bother a couple of weeks back and the engineers never bothered turning up on the day they said they would.

Is anyone able to get someone (who can preferably speak english) to give him a ring, he's given me all of his account details in case they're needed, it'd be much appreciated.

Earwig
26-08-2005, 18:52
Can he not DEMAND to speak to the management??

Whenever I have to phone them this is what I do and I usually get some sense and somebody who actually knows what they are talking about.

Failing that I reckon the problem is Norton Antivirus?? No?? Spyware then?? how do i know this without even looking?? This is what Indai Support line always tell me for ANY problem !!

fatnose12
26-08-2005, 19:09
When I had a problem recently, I was advised to ask for someone in the English call centre, was put through to someone who had a clue. Unfortunatly NTL like most other UK companies who outsource their customer services to India, only give their call centres a limited amout of autonomy, most of their Indian call centre staff can't think outside of the box in fact couldn't find their way out of a wet cardboard box. NTL proberbly us the same call centre as the TSB bank, National rail enquries, and one of the major insurers( I forget who.) The opperator gets a screen message tell him/her where the call is coming from and which company is involved. If its anything other than what is on the screen they have not got a clue.

sheilablige
26-08-2005, 19:22
Poor India they get all the grief (!) but are in fact given the same tools/equipment and info to work with as the UK techs at NTL - I think the diff being that possibly they can't go home and fiddle with pc and that they can understand us as well as we can understand them!!!!! They are totally useless in the main.

Does the USB in dev manager have any ! ? or X by/on it? If so you could try USB scrub and re-install - you will need the installer disc to make life easier. Make sure you do FULL reboot of both PC and STB when requested (not just restart computer)

Of course you can always check if enet card is installed (especially if it's a newer pc) and then just remove USB converter.

Has anyone actually checked for area fault?

Hope this is of SOME use

Regards Sheila (ex NTL)

PS - tech support managers will not be able to help with tech matters - can usually only deal with a/c probs!

Russ
26-08-2005, 19:35
When I had a problem recently, I was advised to ask for someone in the English call centre, was put through to someone who had a clue.

As far as I'm aware, ntl don't have any English customer services callcentres - they're either in Wales or Scotland.

Bifta if you PM me her details I'll email ntl tomorrow although it's not likely to be actioned until monday.

quadplay
26-08-2005, 21:48
Yes they do Russ - there's a major customer service centre in Manchester, as well as Swansea and Glasgow! The only UK tech support centres are Swansea (for broadband) and Newport (just down the road, for narrowband).

With regard to the problem, as others have said try running the USB scrub ("uninstall.exe" in the Ambit folder, under the Drivers folder on the ntl installation CD), then reboot the PC and plug the USB cable back in. Otherwise, change to Ethernet. A NIC only costs £5 and is far less trouble than USB. :)

nffc
26-08-2005, 21:54
What OS is it?

Chrysalis
26-08-2005, 23:50
jimbo whats the number to hit swansea direct bypassing india?

quadplay
27-08-2005, 00:13
Don't know.

sleepless
27-08-2005, 05:34
jimbo whats the number to hit swansea direct bypassing india?
There isn't one ;)

This looks like the ntl:home modem firmware fault that started on Thursday. Does your friend have a solid SYNC/READY light straight after a hard (power) reboot? If so they will need a new modem as the modem firmware is fried. I suspect they rebooted the modem whilst the firmware was updating :shocked:.

A call to Tech support should result in an engineer booking for a new modem :erm:

If not, apologies ;)

Bifta
27-08-2005, 21:41
It does like the modem is fried, I did tell him that I suspected that. He's already demanded an engineer but he was told by the unhelpful CSR that it would just resolve itself.

Russ, I've forwarded on to you all the details I have, if you need anything else, let me know and I'll give him a ring. Thanks

ForestJono
30-08-2005, 18:19
My partners sister (her husband called me about it), is having real trouble trying to get something fixed by NTL, he called me last night as he had no connection to the internet. I went over and took a look, he connects using USB but there was no USB light on the modem and nothing listed for the modem in the device manager (had to unhide to show them), tried the USB cable on his scanner and it works fine, as does the USB ports on the PC. He's phoned NTL a few times now about it but get's a severely irritating indian woman who keeps feeding him some crap about network wide problems. I can't see how a network fault would cause the USB light to go off. At the moment he's told them if they don't get it sorted then he's going to rip the whole lot out (phone/broadband AND TV) and go with someone else but they still haven't scheduled him an engineers visit to look at the modem. It's not the first time they've had trouble, they had bother a couple of weeks back and the engineers never bothered turning up on the day they said they would.

Is anyone able to get someone (who can preferably speak english) to give him a ring, he's given me all of his account details in case they're needed, it'd be much appreciated.

I'm having what seems like exactly the same problem since Saturday. Just 3 lights constantly on the modem (Power, RDY and SNCY (something like that, going from memory). No amount of rebooting will make any difference. Got through to the so called support centre this morning, after the Indian guy talked me through a "logical reboot" that didn't work (which involved unplugging the modem for 30 seconds, like I hadn't tried that myself several times!!), he ran out of ideas and said that a lot of customers in my area are experiencing the same problem and someone will call me in the next 72 hours. Sounds like a fob-off, will wait and see.

sheilablige
30-08-2005, 20:59
Normally if there is an area issue or modem faults the RDY and SYNC will not stay constant - ie they will flash on constant for a few sec then start flashing or ranging. No USB or enet light will prob be driver issue. Hope this helps:

If USB go to start/control panel/network connections - check devices - if have ? ! or x there is your prob. Try also right click USB icon to look for options ..... if you only see enable as a viable option do it. There is so much more

Enet - again try the above - if red x appears on sys tray bottom right that will also indicate prob. Again check for enable option and altho this sounds obv be sure to check connections from pc to modem - the port in the CM may be broken etc

The CM lights are quite an important problem indicator normally

As i say hope this helps
Regards
Sheila - ex ntl

BarFly
30-08-2005, 22:05
I'm having what seems like exactly the same problem since Saturday. Just 3 lights constantly on the modem (Power, RDY and SNCY (something like that, going from memory). No amount of rebooting will make any difference. Got through to the so called support centre this morning, after the Indian guy talked me through a "logical reboot" that didn't work (which involved unplugging the modem for 30 seconds, like I hadn't tried that myself several times!!), he ran out of ideas and said that a lot of customers in my area are experiencing the same problem and someone will call me in the next 72 hours. Sounds like a fob-off, will wait and see.

sounds like a "small" issue NTL are having at the moment, at the time that info was probably the correct info. there are some issues with Cm's not locking on properly & the light sequence you have mentioned is the one of the symptons, so you may very well get your call back in 72hrs....

Bifta
30-08-2005, 22:53
Unfortunately he's still no further forward, they've had no broadband now since last Thursday night and was told when he tried to call again tonight that he was "Number 129 in the queue" .. very disheartening :(

ForestJono
31-08-2005, 10:31
Normally if there is an area issue or modem faults the RDY and SYNC will not stay constant - ie they will flash on constant for a few sec then start flashing or ranging. No USB or enet light will prob be driver issue. Hope this helps:

If USB go to start/control panel/network connections - check devices - if have ? ! or x there is your prob. Try also right click USB icon to look for options ..... if you only see enable as a viable option do it. There is so much more

Enet - again try the above - if red x appears on sys tray bottom right that will also indicate prob. Again check for enable option and altho this sounds obv be sure to check connections from pc to modem - the port in the CM may be broken etc

The CM lights are quite an important problem indicator normally

As i say hope this helps
Regards
Sheila - ex ntl

Cheers Sheila. Its a USB connection, and there is indeed an x when i go to network connections in the control panel. Can't remember what options are available, I will have a look tonight when I get home, but I do remember that the 'status' option was greyed out.

If it is a driver issue as you suspect, can this be solved by re-installing the modem fom the NTL CD??

All my other USB devices work ok, and i've tried swapping the USB modem into different USB sockets, to no avail.

sheilablige
31-08-2005, 20:05
Try right click that USB aagain and re-enable the device.
Also ensure cabling is checked - pull out and replug from both CM and PC just in case :-(
If that does not do it then yes you can re-install drivers (NORMALLY) using the ntl cd provided on installation. follow instructions carefully as sometimes the slightest deviation can mess it up - again be sure full restarts when advised.
There is a slightly different way if this fails - ie specifying the location to PC when prompted - if you need a hand with that I will try to help
Good luck

zelie
05-09-2005, 18:18
I've been having the exact same problem since last Monday. My connection died suddenly. The cable modem had the power, ready and sync lights solidly on and all other lights off. We've been calling the helpline, which is worse than useless (switch your modem off and back on, etc...). It sounds like the people in the Indian call centre can't cope with any questions outside their rehearsed script :mad: I'm desperate - How do I get through directly to a UK number?

BTW I'm in Glasgow - don't know if other customers in the area are affected too?

sheilablige
05-09-2005, 20:38
Again you need to know what form of connection you are using ie USB or enet and i wonder if you have tried the adv I gave earlier re checking network connections. Without knowing which area you are in I cannot check to see if they are stating network probs on their site .... but tbh many of the calls to NTL TSB are generated by USB/enet connection issues.

Give it a try and let me know

Maggy
05-09-2005, 21:12
Cheers Sheila. Its a USB connection, and there is indeed an x when i go to network connections in the control panel. Can't remember what options are available, I will have a look tonight when I get home, but I do remember that the 'status' option was greyed out.

If it is a driver issue as you suspect, can this be solved by re-installing the modem fom the NTL CD??

All my other USB devices work ok, and i've tried swapping the USB modem into different USB sockets, to no avail.

Well has Sheila sorted your problem out? :)

sheilablige
05-09-2005, 22:24
Good grief - you're scary! what are all those qualifications you got by your name?!!?

Maggy
06-09-2005, 01:34
Good grief - you're scary! what are all those qualifications you got by your name?!!?

Just the details of my NTL packages and my messenger services and my reputation indication.

Nothing official in the least. ;) I was just wondering if you had managed to solve Forestjono's problem.We do like to know if there's a happy ending as it's the mainstay of the forum..Besides I do run a little monthly competition for the most helpful post of the month..I was on a trawl for helpful posts when I found this one. ;)

I'm guessing that what you suggested did the trick. :tu:

ForestJono
06-09-2005, 10:25
Well has Sheila sorted your problem out? :)

I tried everything suggested, even did a clean install of windows on a new disc (been meaning to for a while anyway). Came to use the NTL disc to reinstall the broadband, it didn't recognise the USB connection at all. Anyways, to cut a long story short, I called the Indians again(!), and on the recorded message before you get to talk to anyone they admit that their network upgrades have 'killed' a lot of modems, and the only solution is to send you a new one. It goes on tho say that the 'engineer' that you talk to will be able to recognise if this is the case and arrange for a new modem to be posted to you.

Spoke to Mr 'engineer' after much faffing about checking that the usb cable was firmly plugged in at both ends and a reboot of the modem, he came to the conclusion that is was knackared and has arranged for a new one to be posted to me. Should take 2 days apparently, so it should arrive today. However, this is of course NTL we are talking about with their legendary customer service, it will probably arrive next christmas.

So Zelie, ring the so called helpline again, they have a new script now that they recognise that their upgrades have rendered a lot of modems useless!

And thnks for the advice Sheila.

I'll let you all know when the modem arrives, so that others having the same problem can get an idea on how long it takes for a new one to be delivered.

zelie
06-09-2005, 11:08
Thanks for the advice guys - at least I'll know what to say next time I call them and hopefully we will stop going around in circles and get this sorted!

absl
08-09-2005, 02:21
When I had a problem recently, I was advised to ask for someone in the English call centre, was put through to someone who had a clue. Unfortunatly NTL like most other UK companies who outsource their customer services to India, only give their call centres a limited amout of autonomy, most of their Indian call centre staff can't think outside of the box in fact couldn't find their way out of a wet cardboard box. NTL proberbly us the same call centre as the TSB bank, National rail enquries, and one of the major insurers( I forget who.) The opperator gets a screen message tell him/her where the call is coming from and which company is involved. If its anything other than what is on the screen they have not got a clue.

Boring !!

CMs sent in the post ????

ForestJono
09-09-2005, 12:31
New modem arrived yesterday, up and running again!Now its time to all NTL and try and get a credit / refund for the 12 days that i've been without the service that I pay them for. Should be fun:rolleyes:

slug
09-09-2005, 13:34
Boring !!

Most helpful post of the month.

c0n0r
09-09-2005, 14:53
I've been having the exact same problem since last Monday. My connection died suddenly. The cable modem had the power, ready and sync lights solidly on and all other lights off. We've been calling the helpline, which is worse than useless (switch your modem off and back on, etc...). It sounds like the people in the Indian call centre can't cope with any questions outside their rehearsed script :mad: I'm desperate - How do I get through directly to a UK number?

BTW I'm in Glasgow - don't know if other customers in the area are affected too?

Happened me in Belfast. Also happened to a mate who lives in Derry.

zelie
12-09-2005, 16:04
They sent me a new modem through the post and it works fine. I'm still ****ed off with them because
1) it took 12 days from my initial call to support to getting a working modem and
2) they knew they had damaged some of their customers modem through a remote upgrade and they never once apologized. NTL must have very quickly found out which make of modem was damaged by the upgrade and could have contacted the customers who had that make to let them know. Who am I kidding? That would have been good customer service. NTL's customer service is ****e.
Now I'm going to look at alternatives to NTL in my area...I'm not waiting 12 days the next time something goes wrong.