PDA

View Full Version : Do ntl have network problems that they are not admitting?

Albie
25-08-2005, 14:06
Why are NTL employees on here telling people recently that their computer is at fault when they come in to complain about bad connections and poor speeds?

It's no coincidence that in the past few weeks this board has filled up with people complaining about connection problems. Why aren't the people in the know on this board stating that the problems are at NTL's end. :mad:

Chris W
25-08-2005, 14:29
Why are NTL employees on here telling people recently that their computer is at fault when they come in to complain about bad connections and poor speeds?

It's no coincidence that in the past few weeks this board has filled up with people complaining about connection problems. Why aren't the people in the know on this board stating that the problems are at NTL's end. :mad:

Hmm. Interesting. Do you have any evidence to suggest that the problems are at ntl's end, rather than being computer/ router/ home network issues? If so, please feel free to share this.

The majority of speed problems are, in fact, related to people's own computers- i have personal experience of this (i did work for ntl for over 2 years ;) ).

When people ask for help on this board, with many it is because they have had no help from ntl. In order to get things resolved it is best to eliminate a customer's own equipment first. If this can be done through this forum, it will mean that someone who is having problems won't have to go through those diagnostics in as much detail when they speak to ntl.

Now, can we please get back to the topic in hand, which is trying to help resolve bitchplz's connection problems. which, incidentally, may be due to PC problems, or modem issues- we have yet to discover this. If you wish to discuss your comments any further, then please create a new thread with some evidence of your accusations, or contact me via PM.

Albie
25-08-2005, 16:54
Hmm. Interesting. Do you have any evidence to suggest that the problems are at ntl's end, rather than being computer/ router/ home network issues? If so, please feel free to share this.

I have been reading this board for about a year and never have I saw it with so many threads about slow speeds and connection drops.

Here's a some of the thread titles on the first page of this board today.

Internet Slow
Connection stalls 10 mins after booting
Drop in speed?
Network problems tonight?
BB down and analogue TV bad
Connection Dropping?
Problems again. please help - connection drops.

There's a lot more like this on page two. It's obvious NTL has a problem with it's network.

Paul K
25-08-2005, 17:02
Have you read through all the threads and have all the problems been totally NTL's fault? We often find that a lot of speed/ connection issues are caused by PC issues but yes some are NTL problems. Quite often signal strength/ power level issues that are easily rectified by an engineer call out. Blaming NTL for a customer getting spyware on a pc or for getting a virus or not realising that hammering their bandwidth with P2P would slow down their browsing is wrong. It's often a 50-50 split when someone complains about their connection, 50% of the time it's a problem with the connection and 50% of the time its a PC configuration issue.

Chris W
25-08-2005, 17:03
Hmm... and how many of the mentioned threads have been proved to be ntl issues?

It is obvious that there are going to be problems on a cable network the size of ntls, but from what i have heard, these are minor issues- i would guess that most of the issues in the threads you have selected are individual problems, rather than major network problems as you seem to be suggesting.

Also, could you point out where the "ntl employees on here" have been saying all of the problems in the mentioned threads are due to pc issues?

enjoymarcus
25-08-2005, 17:09
I too have noticied problems with my connection, mainly since the announcement of the 10mb speed upgrades. However my NTL connection in Hertfordshire has never been that good, and compare that to the connection i had in Nottingham which was brilliant, then maybe its just my local exchange.

jkthorp
25-08-2005, 17:28
today i've had line speeds ranging from 1500kbps to 30000kbps within minutes of each other! browsing is slow however

don't know whats going on!

apparently there was supposed to be upgrade work last night in my area (oldham/manchester), maybe its continued through the day!

Chris W
25-08-2005, 17:36
today i've had line speeds ranging from 1500kbps to 30000kbps within minutes of each other! browsing is slow however

apparently there was supposed to be upgrade work last night in my area (oldham/manchester), maybe its continued through the day!

Someone on the same proxy range as you has complained of problems browsing today- try specifying a different proxy. See the Articles section for instructions.

Ignition
25-08-2005, 17:38

To answer, no they don't have network problems they aren't admitting.

There's been no major major network work that would have caused a mass of issues, also there hasn't been a mass of issues that I've seen, no more than normal anyway. The quantity of people with speed issues isn't surprising out of a customer base of 1.5 million, blah, people only post when they have issues, blah, I know all the work done recently, blah. :)

Chrysalis
25-08-2005, 18:21
Well alot of proxy problems get classified as network problems, for example you get a stall loading a web page. What would most people blame this on?

MetaWraith
25-08-2005, 21:00
While I agree with Chris' postion that most problems are likely be users own equipment and should be diagnosed first, I know for certain of 3 outages in my area that did not get listed in the status pages,2 of which didnt get listed on the status phone line either. To me that's a cover up. However on the plus side the outages in question were sorted dealt with in reasonable times.

jkthorp
25-08-2005, 21:05
Someone on the same proxy range as you has complained of problems browsing today- try specifying a different proxy. See the Articles section for instructions.

thanks for that - will try it!

sollp
25-08-2005, 22:15
While I agree with Chris' postion that most problems are likely be users own equipment and should be diagnosed first, I know for certain of 3 outages in my area that did not get listed in the status pages,2 of which didnt get listed on the status phone line either. To me that's a cover up. However on the plus side the outages in question were sorted dealt with in reasonable times.

There is no cover up, alot of outages do occur and are not mentioned on the status pages for whatever reason. You may get small isolated local network outages affecting only a few customers, probably seen as so small that it dosen't justify being on them. Why do people automatically assume conspiracy:confused:

MetaWraith
25-08-2005, 22:35
There is no cover up, alot of outages do occur and are not mentioned on the status pages for whatever reason. You may get small isolated local network outages affecting only a few customers, probably seen as so small that it dosen't justify being on them. Why do people automatically assume conspiracy:confused:
I never said conspiracy,
Only that to my way of thinking not reporting every fault is a coverup of sorts
heck, reporting the small fixable faults would be a way of getting a better percentage of faults fixed in a given time.
I also said

However on the plus side the outages in question were sorted and dealt with in reasonable times

slowcoach
25-08-2005, 23:31

Work was definately going on through the day, I lost connection for hours earlier in the day and that is a first for me.

To answer, no they don't have network problems they aren't admitting.

There's been no major major network work that would have caused a mass of issues, also there hasn't been a mass of issues that I've seen, no more than normal anyway. The quantity of people with speed issues isn't surprising out of a customer base of 1.5 million, blah, people only post when they have issues, blah, I know all the work done recently, blah. :)
There have definitely been issues here recently, I am presuming they are to do with the maintenance as they clear up by themselves, normally the timescale of the problem is only short so I don't see the need to report the problem.
Local proxies are crapping out here at the moment which doesn't help.
Normally the service is bloody brilliant so a few issues whilst the upgrades continue are acceptable to me providing we get the 10Mbs service earlier as recompense :D

rogerdraig
29-08-2005, 11:53
proxy isues as far as i am concerned are a network or ntl problem

in my case no worries i will delve in to configs of anything been building taking apart ( mostly taking apart lol ) computers and software since the zx 80

but as for the rest of my family ( including all the aunties unlces brothers in law ect ) wouldnt even go there

they expect and rightly so as far as i am cocerned that all that sholud be sorted by the software or ntl

Chrysalis
29-08-2005, 21:28
Some external peering issues have cropped up, mainly cogent.

But others possibly congested are telia and kpn.