PDA

View Full Version : Going to America!

Damien
25-08-2005, 14:51
Hello! I am off to america next week (California). I wanted to know if there was any thing i need to know and tips and what not. I.E Good shops, Things I should bring etc etc.

Also (bit late now) you do not need a Visa as long as you have a passport with the magnitic strip right?

orangebird
25-08-2005, 14:54
Hello! I am off to america next week (California). I wanted to know if there was any thing i need to know and tips and what not. I.E Good shops, Things I should bring etc etc.

Also (bit late now) you do not need a Visa as long as you have a passport with the magnitic strip right?

No,you don't need a visa - you'll be asked to fill out a green form on the plane, and that should be fine. :tu:

Chris
25-08-2005, 14:55

You do not need a visa so long as your passport is machine readable - that's not a magnetic strip though, it's this lot, at the bottom of your photo page:

>>>>DAMIEN>>>>UK>>>>847392749231743291047329>>>>> etc etc etc

They will make you fill in an immigration form on the plane though.

Other useful info - serving staff in restaurants and hotels are paid peanuts as it is expected that they will earn tips. So it's important that you do tip your waiter!

Derek
25-08-2005, 14:56
My tip would be avoid LA like the plague and go to San Francisco.

As for things to do. Well looking at your age in the profile drinking is out which cuts down on a lot of places I could have recommended ;)

Where abouts in California are you going? Are you going to be based in one place or moving about?

As for tips the main one is DO NOT try and joke with the customs and immigration people. They are the single most humourless and dour faced group of people on the face of the earth.

Damien
25-08-2005, 15:00
You do not need a visa so long as your passport is machine readable - that's not a magnetic strip though, it's this lot, at the bottom of your photo page:

>>>>DAMIEN>>>>UK>>>>847392749231743291047329>>>>> etc etc etc

They will make you fill in an immigration form on the plane though.

Yeah, thats what we have. Thanks :tu:

My tip would be avoid LA like the plague and go to San Francisco.

As for things to do. Well looking at your age in the profile drinking is out which cuts down on a lot of places I could have recommended

Where abouts in California are you going? Are you going to be based in one place or moving about?

As for tips the main one is DO NOT try and joke with the customs and immigration people. They are the single most humourless and dour faced group of people on the face of the earth.

HeHe. We are going to LA, San Diego and Hopefully San Francisco. Maybe death valley nation park as well.

LemonyBrainAid
25-08-2005, 15:10
Remember to take lots of photos to show on CF when you get back.

I'd love to go to America (west) - I've only been to Florida/The Bahamas before :(

Have fun :)

Mal
25-08-2005, 15:10
Other useful info - serving staff in restaurants and hotels are paid peanuts as it is expected that they will earn tips. So it's important that you do tip your waiter!I agree with Mr Pink about this ;)

Kliro
25-08-2005, 15:19

I'll agree on that one, we almost got charged $1000 for forgetting about some fruit we had in a bag, she said if we walked forward any more she would have arrested us, not nice people at all!

So dont bring any food at all past them!

bob_a_builder
25-08-2005, 15:29
serving staff in restaurants and hotels are paid peanuts as it is expected that they will earn tips or they could just run their businesses on a proper footing in the 1st place, pay the staff properly, so the advertised price is the price, not the price less 15%
15% is now the EXPECTED amount apparently
I hate the expected nature of tipping in the US

Just come back for 2 week in LA and Las Vegas myself, expect to see a lot of freeway in LA, everything is so far apart, and some of them are like rideing old wooden roller coasters

You'll have to have 2 fingerprints and a photo taken on the way in too - helps make the queue longer !

Gareth
25-08-2005, 15:31
I'll agree on that one, we almost got charged $1000 for forgetting about some fruit we had in a bag, she said if we walked forward any more she would have arrested us, not nice people at all!

So dont bring any food at all past them!And I'll third that too. I visited Chicago during the Foot & Mouth outbreak, and the immigration official asked if I'd been anywhere near a farm or any farmyeard animals. I bit my tongue and didn't make any jokes about sheep :rolleyes: but I made a flippant comment about being out in the countryside which was really not appreciated. Luckily, I got away with it, and didn't get the 'rubber-glove' treatment :disturbd:

Derek
25-08-2005, 15:34
HeHe. We are going to LA, San Diego and Hopefully San Francisco. Maybe death valley nation park as well.

Well as you might have guessed the only place I would recommend in LA is the Airport for leaving :D
At a push Universal Studios is OK.

In San Francisco Alcatraz is pretty good but I like just wandering around Fishermans Wharf and the city in general. It has a very relaxed and laid-back vibe. One of my favourite cities.

Haven't been to San Diego but I've heard its quite nice and if you are down that way Sea World is pretty much a must.

orangebird
25-08-2005, 15:35
I'll fourth the immigration control comments. Grumpy sods...

Chris
25-08-2005, 15:36
Expect to see lots of very fat people in uniform with guns. I think they call them police.

orangebird
25-08-2005, 15:37
Expect to see lots of very fat people in uniform with guns. I think they call them police.

:rofl: :rofl: i just snotted tea out of my nose laughing at that !!!!

bob_a_builder
25-08-2005, 16:32
lots of very fat people in uniform with guns, I think they call them police

Now, now, some of them seem to be making an effort, though it seems they prefer not to go out alone

LINK (http://cbartley.dyndns.org/down/DSC02715.JPG)

spotted on el-segundo beach last Sunday

Nemesis
25-08-2005, 16:37
San Francisco ... Rose McGowan :drool::drool::drool:

MetaWraith
25-08-2005, 16:43
Try the Sequoia National park, for Gen Sherman Tree etc
or Mammoth Lakes, always good for a visit.

kobuskint
25-08-2005, 17:21
You will love it on the West coast, once you are in the country. Clothes are really cheap, technology was not as cheap as I imagined.

Important and from relatively bitter (four hour delay) experience:

For the immigration entry form, make sure that you have an address at which you will be staying. They WILL bounce a form without an address, be it first hotel, friends etc. and you will wait in line forever to rectify the problem.

Customs is not a comedy experience however. Quite liderally queuetastic!

skyblueheroes
25-08-2005, 17:43
Been to SF, LA and Hawaii on a 3 week holiday about 10 years ago.

LA is okay for a few days, but is too big and dirty. There is stuff to do, but I just didn't like it.

San Francisco is very cool and the place I would go to live if I ever moved to the states. Visit Alcatraz, Lombard Street and go on the trams. You can probably arrange tours too to see Golden Gate bridge and the bit that is a replica of the Kew Gardens in London.

There are loads of shops and bars too and Fishermans Wharf and Pier 39 are good places to start.

Damien
25-08-2005, 18:27
i like these tips by the way!

What about customs anyway, what am i allowed and not allowed to take in and out.

If i get a psp and stuff over there, do i need to declare it? Pay customs?

Kliro
25-08-2005, 18:32
take it out of its box and put it in your luggage and you should be fine, cant take any foodstuffs into the US. Not sure on the limits on money and whatnot, but am pretty sure that if you declared the PSP they would want you to pay customs.

Damien
25-08-2005, 18:33
Also what kind of form is it? What details do i need? What checks do they do while there apart from photo and finger prints?

take it out of its box and put it in your luggage and you should be fine, cant take any foodstuffs into the US. Not sure on the limits on money and whatnot, but am pretty sure that if you declared the PSP they would want you to pay customs.

if i wrap it up like a present i heard you dont pay (if its a gift). I would like to know the customs charges and stuff

Kliro
25-08-2005, 18:42
Think that does work, not sure if its true in all cases.

This site might be of some help:
http://www.usembassy.dk/Home/FAQ/Travelling.htm

EDIT:

This one would be much better:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/home.xml

AndrewJ
25-08-2005, 18:51
Bring us some lovely pictures.

bob_a_builder
25-08-2005, 18:52
Think that does work, not sure if its true in all cases.
surely the issue is duty + vat on return to uk

MetaWraith
25-08-2005, 20:54
Wonders if I should offer my Rand McNally writeon, wipe off maps of California for sale via the forum?

Halcyon
25-08-2005, 22:48
I hope you have an excellent time out there, that you have good weather and take loads of photos to show us when you get back. Have fun :)

basa
26-08-2005, 09:56
Been to Calif 3 times - I love LA, esp Venice Beach, Hollywood Blvd.

Hate LV, too built up and busy now compared to 10 years ago - go to Laughlin instead (100mi SE), a mini LV. Check out Lake Mead whilst there .. beautiful.

Death Valley is now like a theme park with Hotels and 'viewing points' :disturbd:

zovat
26-08-2005, 11:34
I've been to LA - it was ok - but stay away from downtown hollywood - it really is rough...
There's a nice seafood restaraunt at the seafront on the end of sunset strip (great view and good food).

San Francisco is really good - been there a number of times... The cable cars (trolleys) are a must, and a day/week pass for all local transport including the Muni (buses and such), the cable cars, and the BART (local trains) is really cheap.
As already stated, fishermans wharf and pier 39 are worth a look (a bit touristy for me, but I've been there lots) and alcatraz is a must do (but book early as they get really busy on weekends and holidays), and pay the extra couple of dollars for the audio tour, well worth it.
You can get a bus tour that takes in the golden gate bridge (although it is better from the sea on the way to alcatraz) and other parts of the city including the area that is credited with the start of the 60's peace and love thing ;)

If you get a day to relax - go and chill out in golden gate park - built by (IIRC) a scotsman, and a really nice park in the shadow of golden gate bridge.

Halcyon
26-08-2005, 11:56
Zovat.....It seems like a great place. I wish I was there right now. Its cold and rainy here in England right now :(

zovat
26-08-2005, 13:39
Zovat.....It seems like a great place. I wish I was there right now. Its cold and rainy here in England right now :(
It is - but it's nice and sunny here in Reading :naughty:

ian@huth
26-08-2005, 14:03
One thing to remember in ths States is that prices in shops don't include sales tax so that $100 purchase will actually cost around $108. You can avoid that by shopping on indian reservations.

Damien
26-08-2005, 14:05
One thing to remember in ths States is that prices in shops don't include sales tax so that $100 purchase will actually cost around $108. You can avoid that by shopping on indian reservations.

Is that true? Crap!

zovat
26-08-2005, 14:57
Is that true? Crap!
yes, all prices shown exclude local sales tax *normally around 8% in california

Damien
26-08-2005, 15:01

son of a *****!

Online the psp costs $249 at EB. How much is that with sales tax? or do the online stores already include it?

Damien
31-08-2005, 22:22
Bye Bye!

I am off tomorrow. See ya when i get back (when i should be at University as well)

danielf
31-08-2005, 22:27
Bye Bye!

I am off tomorrow. See ya when i get back (when i should be at University as well)

Have fun Damien :)

Charlie_Bubble
31-08-2005, 22:31

the only things I ever saw on Indian reservations in north america were petrol stations and lots of shops selling booze and fags!

punky
31-08-2005, 22:50

son of a *****!

Online the psp costs $249 at EB. How much is that with sales tax? or do the online stores already include it?

Just so you know you can normally avoid sales tax by buying things out of state (mail order) Sales tax is applicable only if you purchase an item and reside in the same state. So you may want to look at that option.

Damien
31-08-2005, 23:58
Just so you know you can normally avoid sales tax by buying things out of state (mail order) Sales tax is applicable only if you purchase an item and reside in the same state. So you may want to look at that option.

Well i do not live there, does that count? If i prove I am a British Resident

punky
01-09-2005, 00:19

Well i do not live there, does that count? If i prove I am a British Resident

Tourists get charged sales tax like residents. Some countries do refund tax money on exit, but I don't think the US does.

Damien
01-09-2005, 00:25
Tourists get charged sales tax like residents. Some countries do refund tax money on exit, but I don't think the US does.

Nuts, So online are effectively mail order. So i have to pay more than the $250.

Dont any stores have the +tax on the labels

danielf
01-09-2005, 00:28
Nuts, So online are effectively mail order. So i have to pay more than the $250.

Think of it as VAT.

But I agree that it's silly it is not included on the price tag.

Charlie_Bubble
01-09-2005, 00:29

Yeah, if you go to Canada, you can save receipts and claim tax back when you leave! :)

punky
01-09-2005, 00:39
Yeah, if you go to Canada, you can save receipts and claim tax back when you leave! :)

Yup, GST and PST. Believe it or not, we actually allow that too. Foreigners buying stuff here and leaving can claim the VAT back. Fancy that, Gordon Brown giving back tax money!

Nope, no stores do. I can't remember why, someone explained it to me and it did make vague sense at the time, but I can't remember why now.

marky
01-09-2005, 00:45
Bye Bye!

see ya when you get back lil red fluffy dood :)

punky
01-09-2005, 00:47
Oh, and in case I didn't tell you from before, have a safe trip mate, hope ya have a good one.

Wicked_and_Crazy
01-09-2005, 09:00
Go to Universal studios in Hollywood

ian@huth
01-09-2005, 11:16

Nope, no stores do. I can't remember why, someone explained it to me and it did make vague sense at the time, but I can't remember why now.One of the reasons is that the sales tax varies from state to state and isn't charged in indian reservations. This makes it impossible to pre-price products or put sales tax inclusive prices in adverts.

punky
01-09-2005, 11:32
One of the reasons is that the sales tax varies from state to state and isn't charged in indian reservations. This makes it impossible to pre-price products or put sales tax inclusive prices in adverts.

It actually varies by county. The county my parents live in isn't as affluent as their neighbouring ones, so sales tax in their is 6.5% and in the neighbouring its 7% Some counties charge 6% which is the federal baseline. Florida can charge upto 1.5% extra discretionary to help balance the books.

But that doesn't explain why they can't include the tax on the products inside the shop, where sales tax is consistant.

Damien
18-09-2005, 13:44
Wehey back! Was good went to sea world in San Diego, San Diego downtown and the park, Las Vegas, Mexico (that sucked), LA & Hollywood (sucked), We stayed in Orange Country (Newport beach) which was good.

My sister and mum came two days after us because my sisters passport was refused (no machine readable passport). Our wing mirror was taken out on the Freeway. I got a PSP in Vegas and the flight was looonnnnnnnnnnnnng

timewarrior2001
18-09-2005, 17:00
I found LA to be brilliant.

Malibu beach early morning is nice.
Long beach area was good too.

Plenty of great bars n clubs to go to, and a few suprises.

I hated Vegas too tacky for my liking.

Damien
18-09-2005, 17:07
I found LA to be brilliant.

Malibu beach early morning is nice.
Long beach area was good too.

Plenty of great bars n clubs to go to, and a few suprises.

I hated Vegas too tacky for my liking.

To be fair I only saw LA Hollywood and Areas around it. Orange county and Newport were good