PDA

View Full Version : New Ambit Firmware available

slowcoach
25-08-2005, 11:22
"Bloke in the Pub" says ;)
New firmware is available for the Ambit modems, reset your modem, after it syncs it should reset itself again, when it stabilises go into the diagnostics and see if you have an NTL logo, if so your firmware has been upgraded and the modem is ready for 10Mbs (probably).

The End (of 3Mbs) is Nigh. :redcard:

Hans Gruber
25-08-2005, 11:40
Mine says NTL at the top now :)

Also a nice big warning at the bottom I'd not noticed before...

This Cable Modem is the property of ntl: and must not be modified in any way.
You will be responsible for any, claims, losses damages or costs incurred
by us arising out of, or in any way connected, with your use or misuse of this equipment.

slowcoach
25-08-2005, 11:42
Mine says NTL at the top now :)

Also a nice big warning at the bottom I'd not noticed before...

[/size][/b][/center]
You've got it then.

jtwn
25-08-2005, 12:09
Do you know whats changed behind the scenes? Or is that a secret?

maverick
25-08-2005, 12:22
I wonder if cloned modems can now be traced to source a little bit easier now?????? :Yikes:

altis
25-08-2005, 13:27
Shame they didn't get the logo the right size at first shot:

http://192.168.100.1/Logo.gif

marvel
25-08-2005, 13:54
bloke in the pub - what a legend :)

bilal
25-08-2005, 14:14
thank you very much, modem updated. I think you should leave the 3mb, and do 2mb first....:rolleyes:

Florence
25-08-2005, 14:59
I wonder if cloned modems can now be traced to source a little bit easier now?????? :Yikes:

If you are doing nothing wrong and havent altered anything on the moedem then there is nothing to worry about. The firmware will be altered from time to time. I have the new firmware and happy to have this update.

Hans Gruber
25-08-2005, 15:16
It looks as if they've fixed that bug that stopped you from logging into the modem after it had been online for a while, it's still letting me login after 4 hours of uptime. Not a huge bug, but nice that it's fixed :)

Ignition
25-08-2005, 17:40
By the way this was sod all to do with 10Mbit, just to pee on the bloke in the pub's bonfire a bit ;)

Firmware was a compatibility, security and prettyfication patch.

dilli-theclaw
25-08-2005, 17:41
It looks as if they've fixed that bug that stopped you from logging into the modem after it had been online for a while, it's still letting me login after 4 hours of uptime. Not a huge bug, but nice that it's fixed :)

It certainly looks that way.

DocDutch
25-08-2005, 18:18
By the way this was sod all to do with 10Mbit, just to pee on the bloke in the pub's bonfire a bit ;)

Firmware was a compatibility, security and prettyfication patch.

so Ig what kinda security issues have been resolved in this new update then...that is if your still "in the know"

Markly Darkly
25-08-2005, 19:48
How do you go into the diagnosics?

homealone
25-08-2005, 20:09
How do you go into the diagnosics?

click the link

http://192.168.100.1/

user = root

pass = root

Earwig
25-08-2005, 20:34
click the link

http://192.168.100.1/

user = root

pass = root

Page cannot be displayed??

jtwn
25-08-2005, 20:36
Make sure no proxies are set in your internet options.

Slyder
25-08-2005, 20:49
Updated fine on this end.

Would still like a list of bug & security fixes from anyone with the info :)

Florence
25-08-2005, 20:58

Which Ambit have you got I had one that would never show the page but the 125 does the 200 wouldn't in the ex cable and wireless areas.

Chris W
25-08-2005, 21:44
Which Ambit have you got I had one that would never show the page but the 125 does the 200 wouldn't in the ex cable and wireless areas.

the 125 :erm: never heard of one of those...

afaik the config page should be available on the 100, 120, 200 and 250 modems in all areas.

homealone
25-08-2005, 21:46
click the link

http://192.168.100.1 (http://192.168.100.1/)

user = root

pass = root

try the link with the traily slash removed

http://192.168.100.1

then root, root - or admin, admin should work, for username and password ???

slowcoach
25-08-2005, 23:50
Confirmed, works through the router now as well, nice.

deadite66
27-08-2005, 18:34
great work NTL you've stopped snmp access, i'll just have to go over the cap now.

tards.

icanadvise
28-08-2005, 22:37
"Bloke in the Pub" says ;)
New firmware is available for the Ambit modems, reset your modem, after it syncs it should reset itself again, when it stabilises go into the diagnostics and see if you have an NTL logo, if so your firmware has been upgraded and the modem is ready for 10Mbs (probably).

The End (of 3Mbs) is Nigh. :redcard:
pretty much dismissed by this posting (http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/showthread.php?t=5777) and as i have mentioned here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=564161&postcount=25)
this seems to have been about combating fraud not replacing images or adding words to internal screens.

Ignition
28-08-2005, 23:04
so Ig what kinda security issues have been resolved in this new update then...that is if your still "in the know"

Don't think I need to comment all the cloning monkeys whining and moaning pretty much answer that one :D

Bill C
28-08-2005, 23:08
Don't think I need to comment all the cloning monkeys whining and moaning pretty much answer that one :D

this is all i have done since i was told what it did.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

sleepless
29-08-2005, 03:04

I know but am not telling :p:

rdhw
29-08-2005, 12:48
what kinda security issues have been resolved in this new updateOne security-related change is that SNMP access to the cable modem is no longer permitted. So, for instance, DocsDiag will no longer work.

Robert Atkins
29-08-2005, 12:58
One security-related change is that SNMP access to the cable modem is no longer permitted. So, for instance, DocsDiag will no longer work.

In June I tried docsdiag and it was not working then. See

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=26110&highlight=DocsDiag

I was told the that snmp had been disabled at ubr level. Was it working at the modem level and not at the ubr? I do not get it :)

MetaWraith
29-08-2005, 13:21
What happens if you do not reset your modem?

There being no emails from NTL regarding this, also going by our membership figures, the vast majority of NTL customers most probably have not seen this thread. So what happens to them?

Derek
29-08-2005, 13:27
What happens if you do not reset your modem?

There being no emails from NTL regarding this, also going by our membership figures, the vast majority of NTL customers most probably have not seen this thread. So what happens to them?

Their modem reboots itself. It gets the new firmware. They don't see any difference.

From what I can gather from other threads in various places this update plugs a fairly large security hole in the modem software which should hopefully make things a bit more difficult for the people who use the service without paying.

hjf288
29-08-2005, 17:26
great work NTL you've stopped snmp access, i'll just have to go over the cap now.

tards.

Amen

SNMP was a much more accurate way of monitoring rather than a program such as DUMeter on all pcs....

Their modem reboots itself. It gets the new firmware. They don't see any difference.

From what I can gather from other threads in various places this update plugs a fairly large security hole in the modem software which should hopefully make things a bit more difficult for the people who use the service without paying.

Also considering the complexity (I.E. Hardware mods) of what their doing anyway - I think they are gonna have the willpower to bypass the update in which workarounds are already floating around....

Its like Tom & Jerry, the freeloading morons who spoil it for the others are always gonna try and find away not to pay whereas the provider will always try to stop em.

BBKing
29-08-2005, 21:41
SNMP was a much more accurate way of monitoring rather than a program such as DUMeter on all pcs....

Or, say, monitoring the WAN port on your router (which if you have >1 PC you must have one of, surely?).

I think they are gonna have the willpower to bypass the update in which workarounds are already floating around

Cat and mouse as you say. How about (and this isn't necessarily going to happen - if I had any say about it I wouldn't mention it on here) denying access to all modems not proven to be on the new firmware version?

Florence
29-08-2005, 21:58
Strange that you say that BBKing but I have been running PRTG for over a year with my modem. Since the new firmware this program cannot monitor the modem.

Seems very strange that just as NTL start to send out letters to people over using their connections that NTL stop us monitoring our useage.

Bill C
29-08-2005, 22:55
Strange that you say that BBKing but I have been running PRTG for over a year with my modem. Since the new firmware this program cannot monitor the modem.

Seems very strange that just as NTL start to send out letters to people over using their connections that NTL stop us monitoring our useage.

Been using this for the last month now and it works fine . www.ipcop.org/

swapshop1
29-08-2005, 22:56
I wonder if all the ppl who have been pinged for exceeding the cap have the new firmware? I doubt that NTL would use the local modem to monitor usage but this firmware is coincidental to usage letters.

MetaWraith
29-08-2005, 23:09
Well my modem has not been updated, and i've no intention of turning it off to reset it. (everythings working just dandy,and I dont want to upset it) FWIW, my average monthly bandwidth usage comes to about one third of the cap.

Chris W
30-08-2005, 01:15
Been using this for the last month now and it works fine . www.ipcop.org/

isn't ipcop a firewall for linux?? :erm:

hjf288
30-08-2005, 01:23
Or, say, monitoring the WAN port on your router (which if you have >1 PC you must have one of, surely?).

Cat and mouse as you say. How about (and this isn't necessarily going to happen - if I had any say about it I wouldn't mention it on here) denying access to all modems not proven to be on the new firmware version?

Actually your wrong mate - I dont use a router... One Windows system acts as the wireless gateway for the Xbox, 2 Laptops and other 2 systems.

But stopping us monitoring our usage via SNMP is ridiculous

Bill C
30-08-2005, 07:42
isn't ipcop a firewall for linux?? :erm:

Its a stand alone router as well, look at the site and the screen shots.

BBKing
30-08-2005, 08:48
One Windows system acts as the wireless gateway for the Xbox, 2 Laptops and other 2 systems.

Well, that contradicts your original statement that you'd have to use dumeter on every machine. Just use it on the gateway and there's your usage.

Well my modem has not been updated, and i've no intention of turning it off to reset it.

We'll do it then :)

I doubt that NTL would use the local modem to monitor usage but this firmware is coincidental to usage letters.

It is coincidental, AFAIK (don't assume that ntl always knows 100% what it's doing!). And we don't use the modem to monitor usage, that would be rather hard.

handyman
30-08-2005, 09:08
We'll do it then :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The cable modem god has spoken.:D

For the record I understand this firmware update was for security reasons, and if SNMP has been restricted then it must have a use that ntl do not approve of.

Hans Gruber
30-08-2005, 10:06
Well, that contradicts your original statement that you'd have to use dumeter on every machine. Just use it on the gateway and there's your usage.

It would still count all the data being sent locally between the PCs and Xboxs

Florence
30-08-2005, 10:37
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The cable modem god has spoken.:D

For the record I understand this firmware update was for security reasons, and if SNMP has been restricted then it must have a use that ntl do not approve of.
Ok it was for security reasons I have been asking for years now for some online way to monitor what you are downloading and I purchased PRTG as it worked with my modem.

Lets hope NTL allow customers access to monitor their internet usage now supplied by them and as upto date as PRTG was for me.

jtwn
30-08-2005, 11:04

Many programs can distinguish between local and internet traffic, netlimiter being one.

Hans Gruber
30-08-2005, 11:07
Many programs can distinguish between local and internet traffic, netlimiter being one.

not dumeter though :p:

jtwn
30-08-2005, 11:38
OK, Mr. I-just-want-to-be-awkward, dumeter just sucks though.

swapshop1
30-08-2005, 14:13
It is coincidental, AFAIK (don't assume that ntl always knows 100% what it's doing!). And we don't use the modem to monitor usage, that would be rather hard.

I wondered whether NTL distunuishes between a bad P2P downloader and a not so bad Newsgroup downloader? Or perhaps those who try to help the network by utilising nightime hours rather than during the day? Or is it a case of everyone over 120GB regardless?

Interesting as if its just a case of GB's and not habit/type of data source then i'm happy to dl during the day instead! easier for me!

mcmanic
30-08-2005, 14:31
I wondered whether NTL distunuishes between a bad P2P downloader and a not so bad Newsgroup downloader? Or perhaps those who try to help the network by utilising nightime hours rather than during the day? Or is it a case of everyone over 120GB regardless?

Interesting as if its just a case of GB's and not habit/type of data source then i'm happy to dl during the day instead! easier for me!

i doubt it and thats what annoys me the most, whats better someone who downloads at night and leaves the network free evenings and daytime, or someone that throttles their P2P but leaves pc on downloading and upload 24/7!!

Chrysalis
30-08-2005, 20:33
problems I had are.

dumeter registers lan traffic, so when I posted my usage recently that did include my lan traffic.

netlimiter for me is unreliable on readings, when I click the stats page nothing shows up and just doesnt work, so I just use netlimiter for shaping my traffic.

BBKing
30-08-2005, 21:01

If it can't give you per-interface statistics it blows goats and we need a better solution.

PRTG isn't just limited to cable modems, of course, anything that has an SNMP agent that can give you per-interface statistics is pollable - hence using it on routers (or Linux gateway boxes, or even Windows boxes, with an enabled SNMP agent).

Hans Gruber
30-08-2005, 21:09
If it can't give you per-interface statistics it blows goats and we need a better solution.

PRTG isn't just limited to cable modems, of course, anything that has an SNMP agent that can give you per-interface statistics is pollable - hence using it on routers (or Linux gateway boxes, or even Windows boxes, with an enabled SNMP agent).

Actually you are right, you can choose which interface it monitors. So it should be able to only monitor internet traffic, in that scenario.

deadite66
30-08-2005, 21:22
can't NTL limit what can be accessed from SNMP, could they just allow the sysuptime and usb/eth trafic mibs from the user side if they wanted to or would that still be a security risk?

hjf288
31-08-2005, 13:50

Oh really? Well considering DUMeter can only meter ALL connections or 1 - I cant monitor my mobile acess quota then which is a bit more important due to the fact i get charged through the teeth.

OK, Mr. I-just-want-to-be-awkward, dumeter just sucks though.

Considering that Netlimiter 2 is in alpha and Netlimiter 1 was the same when I got DUMeter I was quite pleased with it at the time... (Mobile phones dont support SNMP as far as I know)

Maybe when it stops BSODING computers and so ill considering buying it

jtwn
31-08-2005, 14:27
o_O

Somehow I don't believe you are downloading gigabytes or anywhere near on a mobile.

hjf288
01-09-2005, 02:05
o_O

Somehow I don't believe you are downloading gigabytes or anywhere near on a mobile.

Who said I was downloading Gigabytes? thats just flaming mate

Considering you get charged PER MEGABYTE on a mobile phone - it means that EVERY BYTE COUNTS otherwise you end up with a stupidly large phone bill. Im not going to major lengths to explain why I use a cell phones GPRS access.