PDA

View Full Version : Connection Dropping

Wayne P
24-08-2005, 21:57
HELP - Does anyone know why my PC keeps dropping the internet connection after 20 - 30mins. Telewest are adamant it is not the line / modem connection. PC world blamed norton, Tiny (who made the PC) said re-install the network card, but alas nothing works.
I am at the point of trying BT.

Roy MM
24-08-2005, 21:59
Check your network cable Wayne.

Pardon me :welcome: to cable forum.

Scrubbs
24-08-2005, 22:02
:welcome: Hya I think we will need a bit more info on your system, what os you are using, how long has it been happenning etc

There is some very clever people here who can help you out (which way did you come in:D )

Wayne P
24-08-2005, 22:03
network cable? do you mean the ethernet cable? As you can tell I need help

MovedGoalPosts
24-08-2005, 22:04
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

I'm assuming you have a direct ethernet cable connection between the modem and PC (no router's and the like).

Are you running anything on your computer, or does the connection drop when all you are doing is email, internet browsing, etc.

It will be worth, if you have not already done so, checking that your PC has al the current Microsoft Windows updates, your antivirus and the like is also current.

To reset your connection, do you have to reboot (switch off and on) you modem, the PC, or both?

Roy MM
24-08-2005, 22:06
network cable? do you mean the ethernet cable? As you can tell I need help

Yes the cable from your STB (set top box) or SACM (stand alone cable modem)

Wayne P
24-08-2005, 22:07
Hi scrubbs - It is windows XP and has happened since we bought the PC approx 1 year. Norton is installed, but we do get every few weeks a problem when we start the PC that the system does not even open the internet as it states the IP address is missing (or wrong) and that we should contact the person who administers the account. Leave the PC for a day or 2, and we can log back on to the internet??

Roy - Everything looks fine.

MovedGoalPosts
24-08-2005, 22:14
So you are happy that the network cable (ethernet cable between the PC and modem) is working OK, and has a proper connection at each end. If in doubt, get a replacement from the local computer shop. Not expensive really, and can save a lot of aggro troubleshooting.

Roy MM
24-08-2005, 22:14
Roy - Everything looks fine.

Looks can be deceptive, renewing the cable might be the answer.

Rob got in there 1st. :tu:

Scrubbs
24-08-2005, 22:17
Does anyone remember if there is a logging system somewhere wayne can check? I think there is but i can't remember what it is

Some one has already mentioned in another thread about his connection on the wall being iffy??:dozey:

Roy MM
24-08-2005, 22:19
Does anyone remember if there is a logging system somewhere wayne can check? I think there is but i can't remember what it is

Some one has already mentioned in another thread about his connection on the wall being iffy??:dozey:

You mean system status?

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

Scrubbs
24-08-2005, 22:23
You mean system status?

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

No, I mean Event Viewer? in control panel/ admin tools could this point to the problem?

Wayne P
24-08-2005, 22:30
Happened again !! Another issue every week or 2 when we start the PC, we have an error message that we have a problem with the IP address with limited or no connectivity, trying to repair the probllem fails as we get a message that the problem is with the person who manages the account?

Scrubbs
24-08-2005, 22:32
Happened again !! Another issue every week or 2 when we start the PC, we have an error message that we have a problem with the IP address with limited or no connectivity, trying to repair the probllem fails as we get a message that the problem is with the person who manages the account?

Are you logged on as administrator?

Roy MM
24-08-2005, 22:34

I had all that, doing a system restore got me back up and running for a while, but it turned out to be my ethernet cable, i renewed it never had a problem since.

Wayne P
24-08-2005, 22:38
I'm feeling a new cable is the path ahead !! thanks for your help, i'll let you know the outcome.

Regards.

MovedGoalPosts
24-08-2005, 22:42
A new cable is an easy thing to rule out, but there is no guarantee it is the problem. If it isn't we will have to try and help you delve into the innards of your PC.

Just to confirm, when you get this problem, what do you have to turn off and on to get back online. The PC, the modem, or both?

Wayne P
24-08-2005, 22:51
Hi Rob, we re-boot the PC, leaving the modem on. this is how telewest have ruled out any problem with the line or modem!

Roy MM
24-08-2005, 22:57
:scratch: Telewest V NTL :confused:

MovedGoalPosts
24-08-2005, 23:24
Something worth a try is to establish if the drivers (software) being used by the network card is current.

Lets try this with Windows Update first. Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update (somewhere near the top).

This opens an internet explorer page.

Depending on when (if) you have run this manually before you may need to allow it to install software (there may be a pop up, or yellowed line at the top of the IE windows saying something like an Active-X control is needed - click to install. Do so.

Eventually you should get a screen with Express or Custom options. Select Custom. The computer will check for updates. Because of M$ paranoia about unauthorised copies of Windowze, you may need to download more stuff, and repeat the routine, validating as needed.

Eventually you will get a results window. On the left margin, if there is a number against "hardware, Optional", click that. The main window frame now shows, review and install updates, tick the box against anything that indicates a network card (you may want to select any other hardware listed too). Now click the review and install ipdates text.

If there are no network dirver type downloads, don't worry, we can look maybe for something else another time.

You should now have a maister window frame listing your selected update, and High Priority Updates. Click the install Updates button, and let windows do it's thing. You will probably need to reboot the PC, when it's done.

garyparson
25-08-2005, 05:40
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33239

Could be the same as my problem? This worked for me anyway.