PDA

View Full Version : finally got it sorted!

Ewan360
24-08-2005, 16:00
Thought I'd post this incase it helps any other poor frustrated NTL BB customers:

I've spent the last 2 days trying to sort my mums new BB connection. I've tried everything I could find on this, and other forums but was still getting a very intermittant connection, usually connected for less than 30 seconds and most of the time could not renew the IP (usually came up with a 169 address).
When nothing worked, I reinstalled XP and tried again - no luck. So I tried settings in the control panels for the network card - still no luck.
Tried pulling the coax connection on the STB - still getting a 169 address or the " Unable to contact your DHCP server " message.
After exhausting all the tricks in my software-sorting bag I had the RJ45 connectors off the wall. I found one cable was barely touching the connector and needed very little encouragement to come away altogether.
Luckily I'm an electrician by trade so posess an IDC tool to re-do the connection. All now works perfectly :)

As part of my job I've installed hundreds of ethernet boxes, I've never had one report of one being faulty - why? - because it's not that difficult to do. It just takes the right tool and a bit of care, something the monkeys :monkey: that installed my mums cabling were obviously lacking.
What also didn't help was that the tech support guys from NTL are probably told not to suggest that it could be a faulty cable, because they'd be casting doubt over the competance of their own installers. You can't blame them for that I suppose.:(

To sum-up, firstly thank **** for this forum and for all the people who contribute so much time and energy to it. And no thanks to the little **** who installed my mums cabling - he owes me 2 days and one sleepless night - go and stand in the corner! :dunce:

If all else fails - check your cables !

Ewan

Roy MM
24-08-2005, 16:08
:welcome: to cable forum Ewan.

I found my connection exactly the same after install.

Chris W
24-08-2005, 16:10
:welcome:

Thanks for the post... useful information :)

Cabling is indeed one of the last things that is considered, because it is more likely to be a PC or STB problem (because as you suggested, with the right tools, ethernet cabling isn't too difficult). It should however be something that Tech Support checked/ eliminated when going through diagnostics...

moving to installation discussion forum...

Halcyon
25-08-2005, 23:39
Welcome to the forums :)
Some useful info there that Im sure many users will appreciate. Great stuff.

Ewan360
26-08-2005, 07:38
Thanks for the welcome guys,

It's nice to be able to post something which may help somebody else - it could mean that all the time I spent sorting the problem might not be a complete waste. :)

Do you think I should complain to NTL ? - afterall, If noone complains, nothing will improve.

Ewan

Chris W
26-08-2005, 08:42
your best way forward is probably using the "responsetek" link on the front page of the forum- all comments left there are sent directly to ntl.