PDA

View Full Version : Recommended change to Stand Alone Modem

Salu
14-10-2003, 13:36
I had problems with my STB over the past few days.

NTL came today and traced the problem to corroded wires in the outside brown box. The box would not boot and therefore there was no TV available. We had had high pings and major lag from the cable modem. Oddly enough, the broadband was unaffected by the corrosion??

After the repair, the engineer told my wife (who has just phoned me) that as a matter of course they are now recommeding that everyone changes over to a stand alone modem as the demand on the STB is high.

Now. My understanding is that the STB and broadband would only clash during interactive sessions? Would they cause a clash? Why would NTL recommend the change as there is obviously an expense for them?

Any thoughts?

th'engineer
14-10-2003, 13:58
because some of the new STB do not like BB very much the 4000 being one of the culprits go for SACM it will be worth it

Salu
14-10-2003, 14:26
Thanks for the advice. The real issue was why are they recommending it? I've not had any problems over the last two years with it?

Saneboy13
16-10-2003, 20:26
I had problems with my STB over the past few days.

NTL came today and traced the problem to corroded wires in the outside brown box. The box would not boot and therefore there was no TV available. We had had high pings and major lag from the cable modem. Oddly enough, the broadband was unaffected by the corrosion??

After the repair, the engineer told my wife (who has just phoned me) that as a matter of course they are now recommeding that everyone changes over to a stand alone modem as the demand on the STB is high.

Now. My understanding is that the STB and broadband would only clash during interactive sessions? Would they cause a clash? Why would NTL recommend the change as there is obviously an expense for them?

Any thoughts?

Salu.....I have not worked on the combined Digi/Modem equipment, so I can not put forward any views. But as I deal with SACM's, I find them pretty good, and very stable:tu: . I am not sure as to why they would suggest swapping to SA, but I know a lot of other areas, ex-CoCo and the like seem to be heading that way. Whether it is a cost issue, or (what I have heard) more of a freedom issue with the SA's, why don't you ask someone to see if they can clarify to you the benefits of doing this or why they would suggest swapping?