PDA

View Full Version : NTL modem compatibale with router that works on BT BB?

fisheddie
23-08-2005, 16:45
i know it sounds dumb, but as title.

i am now living in a flat with BT BB connection, bought myself a router a while ago from ebay (think it's called origo something, but wireless for under £30). now i have to move to a new house and considering changing to a cheaper package (currently paying £36/2M BB, 10G cap + £11/BT line rental a month :Yikes: ) just thought that NTL would save me some dosh... but not sure if the router i have will be compatiable with the NTL connection (like the telephone input jack)

Many thanks

DocDutch
23-08-2005, 16:51
a router you can connect to anything without problems,

1 thing you have to do is clone your MAC address of your network card and then you should be rolling ;)

fisheddie
23-08-2005, 16:53
well my mate told me that NTL uses like scrw cap sort of cable connetor and i cant plug that thing in to my router or i ll break it

Raistlin
23-08-2005, 16:55
:erm:

I think you'll find that you won't be able to use it (of course, if we knew the model number we would know for sure).

If your router is just a router then you should be ok, but from the sounds of your post it has a built in ADSL modem - if that's the case then you won't be able to use it with the NTL modem.

Do you have a seperate BT modem or does your router fulfill that funstion as well?

well my mate told me that NTL uses like scrw cap sort of cable connetor and i cant plug that thing in to my router or i ll break it

The cable from the wall point to the modem is a screw fitting.

From the modem to the PC will be either a USB cable or an Ethernet cable (Ethernet is best :) ).

fisheddie
23-08-2005, 17:12
thanks for the reply raistlin, the router i have is called origo and it's a wireless modem router (i am actually still very happy about the price at £30 even it keeps logging me on and off to MSN all the time). so i dont need the BT modem!

so from what you said there i would have to go back to rip-off BT then ?

Raistlin
23-08-2005, 17:15
thanks for the reply raistlin, the router i have is called origo and it's a wireless modem router (i am actually still very happy about the price at £30 even it keeps logging me on and off to MSN all the time). so i dont need the BT modem!

so from what you said there i would have to go back to rip-off BT then ?

If it has a built-in modem it won't work with the cable connection.

You don't have to go back to BT, you could go with NTL - but you would need a different router ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008DOYO/qid=1124813690/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-0538400-9659046

fisheddie
23-08-2005, 17:50
:( i dont wanna fork out another £50 for a new router

Raistlin
23-08-2005, 18:03

You say that BT are a rip-off right?

I'm assuming therefore that by moving to NTL you would save money?

How much money would you save each month?

How long before the expense of buying a new router has been covered by the savings you will make?

fisheddie
23-08-2005, 18:20
well i can save straight away £11 per month on BT line rental (that's if i dont want the landline) then £2 a month on BB.

actually is there anyone else better/cheaper? ?

also, i have an other question: what s the difference between cross over ethernet cable and straight ones? i didnt know there are different cables, also i just seem to remember that i had a cable that can be used on both router and direct connection!

Chris W
23-08-2005, 18:31
Unless the router you have has the option to disable the adsl modem, and has an ethernet uplink port (sometimes called WAN) then you won't be able to use it with cable. Can you operate the router in access point mode rather than router mode? If so you can buy a normal cable router, and keep the current router as a wireless access point.

Unless you have ntl or telewest, you have to have a BT line [although it could be a Bulldog line] so stuck with the £11.50 a month to BT.

If you sign up with ntl now, you can have 1meg broadband, phone line and base pack digital TV for £30- so saving some money and getting an extra service :)

If you want to stick with 2meg BB you can have this from ntl for £24.99 (not sure if they are doing special offers at the moment)- no need to have a phone line from ntl if you have this (or have a phone line at all infact!)

oh and with regard to your other question-

The difference between crossover and straight cables is given away in the name- with a crossover cable, the little cables inside actually cross over (you can see this in the connectors at the end). Crossover cables are used for connecting two pcs together, and straight cables for connecting to routers/ switches/ modems. It is worth noting that some modems and routers (and all apple macs) will auto-negociate, so if you connect the wrong type of cable they will deal with it :)

funkyCable
24-08-2005, 10:03

I thought the same way but I found a nice router for cable for under £30 inc delivery.

Check this out: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=10099335849&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52629

or this http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=10099338504&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=47365

then all you do is sell your BT Wireless router for say £25 and you only paid £5.

fisheddie
24-08-2005, 12:10
I thought the same way but I found a nice router for cable for under £30 inc delivery.

Check this out: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=10099335849&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52629

or this http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=10099338504&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=47365

then all you do is sell your BT Wireless router for say £25 and you only paid £5.

that can be a good idea :D

funkyCable
24-08-2005, 12:19
I thought so to. So vote for me. I wonder why they dont do like a combo router built in asdl modem as well as built in cable modem. could be interesting :dozey:

Slef
25-08-2005, 00:28
Unless you have ntl or telewest, you have to have a BT line [although it could be a Bulldog line] so stuck with the £11.50 a month to BT.

Looking at the posts on other boards abouts the state of play with Bulldog I would be very very very careful about considering them at teh moment...they seem to have over reached new sign ups without having the infrstructure to match particularly with T/S (no probs getting through to sales though!!)

fisheddie
25-08-2005, 01:02
by doing a quick research i have found plusnet and demon been quite good on price as well. just not so sure about the service.

also, how does this reputation thing work in this forum? i cant seem to be able to find any info on that? ?

Chris W
25-08-2005, 09:07
The reputation system is described in the article here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=8) If you have any questions that are not explained there, please feel free to PM me and ask :)

@Sief... agree with the sentiments about Bulldog!

Slef
25-08-2005, 22:27
by doing a quick research i have found plusnet and demon been quite good on price as well. just not so sure about the service.

also, how does this reputation thing work in this forum? i cant seem to be able to find any info on that? ?

Plus net are getting some negative press at the mo due to placing heavy users onto a diffrent pipe, by stating they are going to introduce inactivity cut offs and by being somewhat censorsorial (if that is a word) on their forum!!!

:)

Paul K
25-08-2005, 22:30

Plus net are getting some negative press at the mo due to placing heavy users onto a diffrent pipe, by stating they are going to introduce inactivity cut offs and by being somewhat censorsorial (if that is a word) on their forum!!!

:)
Good old Plus Net, we have a couple of threads running on them ;)
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=63