PDA

View Full Version : New Broadband Install

Bluestraw
21-08-2005, 15:19
I'm having NTL broadband installed next week, and I wonder if someone could help... I'm trying to figure out how much new wiring will be needed, where it could run etc.

We don't currently use any of NTL's services, but the previous occupier had Cable TV and Phone. I looked in the external 'grey box', and we have 2 main cables coming 'from the street'. One of these is a standard telephone cable (5 core I think), and is split and routed from the grey box to a couple of (unused) phone sockets. The second is a coax cable, and this is split and routed to 2 internal cable points (while boxes with NTL written on them).

Can someone please tell me which of these 2 connections the broadband service will use? The coax is running already to the correct room, so I hope it is that one! Or is it a third one?

Thanks!

Nidge
21-08-2005, 15:24
If you have a cable box on the outside of your house you'll be fine, if not they could also do a street pull. Tell the engineer where you want the cable going. Keep him happy with tea and chocolate biccies, I'm sure he'll do a good job for you.

Bluestraw
21-08-2005, 15:35
Thanks. But can you tell me if your Broadband is connecting to the same internal white box as your tv connection? That would mean NO new wiring needed at all :)

Angua
21-08-2005, 15:41
Best to leave it to the engineer, as although it may appear you have all you need and it may be in the right place, the cable itself may not be up to the job! When we had BB we needed a new box as the existing wasn't up to the job (we were upgrading),

quadplay
21-08-2005, 16:00
ntl broadband uses the coaxial connection, so it sound like the engineer won't have to do much at all!

Do make sure that he checks the levels though, and that the "Sync" and "Ready" lights are on solid (not flashing) on the front of the cable modem before you let him leave, as without those you won't get any kind of connection.

Also, you'll need a broadband PIN number (which should be 8 digits starting with the number 1). If you haven't already got this, call Customer Services on 0800 052 2000 (Option 5) and they can supply it or create one.

eztutty
21-08-2005, 16:01
Thanks. But can you tell me if your Broadband is connecting to the same internal white box as your tv connection? That would mean NO new wiring needed at all :)

The broadband usually leeches off the NTL Digibox, or if you opt for the cable modem it will come from the TV cable in the outsite box.

ian@huth
22-08-2005, 10:02
Both of the internal white boxes will be capable of having broadband connected so no new wiring should be needed.