PDA

View Full Version : Really p***ed off with ntl! - Forced Speed Upgrade

qfred
19-08-2005, 21:20
i have had the 300k bb for ages and have resisted the upgrade to 1m because of the drop from 30 gig to a crap 3gig a month allowance, but after getting my latest bill i saw that i had been upgraded to 2m without my asking for it, so i rang to complain and was told that i will be credited the difference for this month and put on the 1m even though i wanted to stay on the 300k.
Because of ntl's incompetence i am now on a tariff which, although faster, is actually worse in my opinion due to the 3gig limit.
When the girl at the other end said that it was a faster speed, i said that it would be like having a ferrari that you can only drive to the end of the street - useless.

What a SHAMBLES!!! :mad:

Florence
19-08-2005, 22:10
At present the cap is not a hard one. Also the cap on 2mb is 30gig. I have had no problems downloading what ever I needed, listening to streams of music or watching clips over the internet.

I am very happy with my 2mb connection and the cap is not to bad I have not gone over as much as I had thought. I do realise that with whats coming it does need increasing to cover VOIP and the video streams but I am sure that will happen.

SLM
19-08-2005, 22:18
I don't think it a shambles.....when ntl started all the upgrades they did inform cust that everyone would be upgraded by the end of the year however you could do it yourself by ringing CS.....all the upgrade's are to bring in levels of service that you pay for.....if you are a light user you would pay a lower price (£17.99 ) but if you are a high user you pay for that eg (£24.99 or £34.99) .

So in short you are paying for what you use not how fast it is, which in my eyes is a lot fairer....

homealone
19-08-2005, 22:37
I don't think it a shambles.....when ntl started all the upgrades they did inform cust that everyone would be upgraded by the end of the year however you could do it yourself by ringing CS.....all the upgrade's are to bring in levels of service that you pay for.....if you are a light user you would pay a lower price (£17.99 ) but if you are a high user you pay for that eg (£24.99 or £34.99) .

So in short you are paying for what you use not how fast it is, which in my eyes is a lot fairer....

I'm not so sure - it hasn't affected me, to be fair I am more than happy with my 2Mb, but - had I been on 300Kb I would not appreciate being forced to move from an 'unlimited*' tier at low speed, to a higher speed with a 'recommended' usage of 3MB per month. Three times faster but ten times less bandwidth for the same money is not fairly implementing 'pay for what you use', in my opinion.....

* insofar as it is only possible to d/l a max of about a gig a day on 300Kb

MovedGoalPosts
19-08-2005, 23:02
We don't really need another thread discussing caps thanks. However it is poor that ntl moved you to a different tarrif without your prior agreement.

Is this just some sort of computing glitch, or are ntl now forcing all customers who remained on the 300k service to upgrade? If that is the case they should make it clear the old service is withdrawn and give notice, not just move customers.

Moved to ntl broadband discussion

cookie_365
19-08-2005, 23:24

Hmmm. My recollection is that everyone on 750 Kbs and 1.5 Mbs would be upgraded automatically, because the usage allowance on those plans stayed the same, but that people who were on 300 kbs would not be automatically upgraded, to take into account the fact that the usage allowance on 1 Mbs would be less than that on 300 Kbs.

You (I mean the OP specifically of course) may have grounds to end your contract even if the 12 months aren't up if you've been pushed onto a different tariff without your agreement.

homealone
20-08-2005, 00:08
Hmmm. My recollection is that everyone on 750 Kbs and 1.5 Mbs would be upgraded automatically, because the usage allowance on those plans stayed the same, but that people who were on 300 kbs would not be automatically upgraded, to take into account the fact that the usage allowance on 1 Mbs would be less than that on 300 Kbs.

You (I mean the OP specifically of course) may have grounds to end your contract even if the 12 months aren't up if you've been pushed onto a different tariff without your agreement.

absolutely - Rob C I agree about cap discussion, but this is a new development, imo, 'forcing' people off a 300kb contract is not on ???

MovedGoalPosts
20-08-2005, 00:12
absolutely - Rob C I agree about cap discussion, but this is a new development, imo, 'forcing' people off a 300kb contract is not on ???

Yes it is a new specific issue, which is why the thread stays open, to allow the change of contract issue to be discussed, but not to repeat the I do / do not agree with cap arguments. In fact I'm amending the thread title, to clarify the discussion topic.

qfred
20-08-2005, 00:37
do you think that the initial upgrade to 2mb was a sneaky way to get me to pay more (and get another 300k user off the books)?

p.s. i agree with the addition to the thread title :tu:

homealone
20-08-2005, 00:56
do you think that the initial upgrade to 2mb was a sneaky way to get me to pay more (and get another 300k user off the books)?

p.s. i agree with the addition to the thread title :tu:

as I understand it, the implication was, if you wanted to stay on 300k, you could, but if you changed, you couldn't go back.

I didn't have a problem with that.

In this case, where a change of tier (300Kb to 2Mb) has occured, seemingly without authorisation, I question why resetting the account is not possible?

The 'natural' ugrade is 300Kb to 1Mb, shirley?

qfred
20-08-2005, 01:01
they said that because i had been moved up to 2mb, even though i didn't ask to, that a drop back to 300k was not possible (but a drop to 1mb seemed ok to them - i wonder why?)

Jules
20-08-2005, 01:03
How much will the price difference be for you?

Chris W
20-08-2005, 01:08
The 300k level of service is no longer a choice for provisioning customers- if an account is new, or needs the speed changing it can now only go to 1, 2 or 3meg. The old service tiers are just that- only available to people who are already on them and can't be changed to.

qfred
20-08-2005, 01:09
no price difference (17.99) but a drop from 30gig allowance to 3gig a month - i would rather have a slower speed and more allowance.

btw i am not a new customer, not even recent

Jules
20-08-2005, 01:10
I was happy to get the faster speed but I download very little having said that I can see why you would be annoyed over it if you do a lot of downloading :(

qfred
20-08-2005, 01:16
not a lot, but things like pc game demos which are quite large now and online concerts (theres a jarre one next week i want to see), how will these affect my allowance?

plus, i don't like looking at my watch all the time, so to speak.

homealone
20-08-2005, 01:30
not a lot, but things like pc game demos which are quite large now and online concerts (theres a jarre one next week i want to see), how will these affect my allowance?

plus, i don't like looking at my watch all the time, so to speak.

the point is,shirley,that you didn't choose to do it ;)

tbh my opinion is that the 2Mb £24.99 package is the best value, just now, but you should not have been bumped off the 300Kb tier with no consultation :)

qfred
20-08-2005, 01:35
I think that the 1mb and 2mb should have the same monthly allowance.

And, don't call me shirley! :D

eric@
20-08-2005, 02:40
I would consider forcing a change in this manner to be unethical practice. Whatever the reason for the original change, be it a mistake or otherwise, the fact that the company are unwilling to return you to your original status is hard to defend, although Iâ₠™m sure there will be some here who will try.

goblin
20-08-2005, 09:05
not a lot, but things like pc game demos which are quite large now and online concerts (theres a jarre one next week i want to see)

Sorry, but could you expand upon when\where the Jean Michelle Jarre concert is being streamed from? As I have a friend who *really* likes this guys music.

Thanks.

Chris W
20-08-2005, 09:07
the fact that the company are unwilling to return you to your original status is hard to defend, although Iâ₠™m sure there will be some here who will try.

It is a case of being unable rather than unwilling unfortunately. As I said in an eariler post, the 300k service no longer exists as an option for provisioning, thus there is no way for a cable modem or set top box to aquire a 300k configuration file if it does not hold one already.

Paul K
20-08-2005, 09:15
not a lot, but things like pc game demos which are quite large now and online concerts (theres a jarre one next week i want to see)

Sorry, but could you expand upon when\where the Jean Michelle Jarre concert is being streamed from? As I have a friend who *really* likes this guys music.

Thanks.
Erm try his site
http://www.jeanmicheljarre.com/movie.asp?lang=en
it's being webcast on the 26th by the look of it.

goblin
20-08-2005, 09:44
Erm try his site
http://www.jeanmicheljarre.com/movie.asp?lang=en
it's being webcast on the 26th by the look of it.

Nice one, thanks! he's just arrived, I've just told him about it and needless to say, he's happy. :)

clarie
20-08-2005, 19:24
It is a case of being unable rather than unwilling unfortunately. As I said in an eariler post, the 300k service no longer exists as an option for provisioning, thus there is no way for a cable modem or set top box to aquire a 300k configuration file if it does not hold one already.

I think that in this case, they should allow you a higher monthly allowance, as it is their fault that you lost your original service and they cannot give it back to you. (Don't know if that's possible though)

Matth
20-08-2005, 23:08
Since their error has forced you onto a new customer version of the lowest tariff, the least they should do is offer you the new customer price for it (£9.99) .

eric@
21-08-2005, 00:04
Since their error has forced you onto a new customer version of the lowest tariff, the least they should do is offer you the new customer price for it (£9.99) .

Yes they could, and in all probability ntl may offer some kind of financial incentive to placate the customer. At least that has been my personal experience of their attempts to †œcloseâ €  a ticket. Whilst this may be appreciated by some, I for one would prefer the emphasis at CS to be on resolving customer complaints.

From my reading of this particular situation:

gfred phoned CS with a complaint that his tariff was changed without his knowledge and with no prior warning to one which he finds inferior for his pattern of usage.
He complains to CS and is offered a solution which he finds unacceptable.
Obviously gfred still feels aggrieved so complains on this forum.
Questions:

Have ntl washed their hands of this affair and left gfred steaming?
Is there a trouble ticket still open on this problem highlighting a customerââ‚ ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s dissatisfaction?
If not, why not?

AndrewJ
21-08-2005, 00:39
I hope he gets this sorted to his requirements, I do use my 2mb heavily and TBH have never had NTL complain about my usage, although the cap is my concern ATM, I would be asap onto ADSL if possible if NTL started saying what I can and can't do, I do see his problem and he did not wish for this to happen it is a tad unfair.

Even a financial incentive would not sort this out because at the end of the day he still has a poxy tiny cap on his account, although I have to ask one question on 300k I doubt you could get near to the 30gb per month cap, now I agree with 1mb you could in a month, but really will your usage increase that much?.

Chrysalis
21-08-2005, 13:09
You not going to get anywhere, the best you will get is a discounted 2meg services for the same price as your old 300k this gives you your allowance back.

NTL lose out but their error so they should pay the price.

Paul K
21-08-2005, 13:15
I hope he gets this sorted to his requirements, I do use my 2mb heavily and TBH have never had NTL complain about my usage, although the cap is my concern ATM, I would be asap onto ADSL if possible if NTL started saying what I can and can't do, I do see his problem and he did not wish for this to happen it is a tad unfair.

Erm NTL has always had guidelines for acceptable usage that you agree to when you take their service. If you are going seriously over your limits on a regular basis I would think you should be expecting some form of contact from NTL ;) As to ADSL you may want to look into your options as they may get busy towards the end of the year :p:

qfred
22-08-2005, 20:33
I phoned them up today and it went like this :

1. dialled customer services - gave details - explained problem - was told to call customer relations.
2. dialled customer relations - kept getting an engaged type tone then cutting off, so i dialled a number i had seen on here.
3. got through to customer relations - gave details - explained problem - was told to hang on several times while a boy moaned at his terminal - then without warning i was being transferred to another number.
4. new number answered - gave details - explained problem - was told that i had to talk to customer services as the new number couldn't help me. (even though it turned out that they were only a couple of miles away)
5. dialled customer services - gave details - explained problem - was told to call customer relations, so i asked to speak to a supervisor, but he was unavailable (what a surprise!) - was told to call customer relations again but this time i asked them to transfer me.
6. customer relations - gave details - explained problem - was told that i could have 2mb for six months at £19.99 -better than nothing so i said ok - i was then transferred to someone who could set it up.
7. new person - gave details - explained that i had been offered a deal - new person said i could have 1mb for six months at £9.99 or 2mb for six months at £16.99 - i chose the 2mb deal - new person presses to change bb tariff - tariff not accepted - because someone had downgraded me back to 1mb a few days ago, i will have to wait till sept 19th for the 2mb deal to start because the system won't allow it yet - new person said sorry but call cs on that date and the £16.99 deal will start then, and for this month i can have 1mb for £9.99.

1 hour and 45 minutes from first dialling ntl, i was finished - till the 19 of sep

then the madness will begin again!!!

p.s. i was told today that the 300k no longer exists, so forced upgrading seems to be here already

Paul K
23-08-2005, 16:17
p.s. i was told today that the 300k no longer exists, so forced upgrading seems to be here already
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=556237&postcount=21
It's not available to new customers but customers already on the service get to keep it. (How long for is anyones' guess)

Juan
24-08-2005, 23:32
Big up for the 300k Massive!!

Maggy
25-08-2005, 00:03
the point is,shirley,that you didn't choose to do it ;)

tbh my opinion is that the 2Mb £24.99 package is the best value, just now, but you should not have been bumped off the 300Kb tier with no consultation :)

What I'm trying to work out is how the OP was bumped up to 2MB when the upgrade is supposed to only be from 300k to 1MB...Seems like it was done by accident(possibly meant for some other customer).In which case I think you should complain bitterly to head office so to speak.