PDA

View Full Version : Dial up number

mcintg
18-08-2005, 15:37
I'm a broadband user - does anybody know if there is a phone number we can use to access the service when not connecting through broadband. I.e. if I'm retrieving my email onto my laptop whilst travelling?

Chris W
18-08-2005, 15:39
You can sign up for a Pay As You Go dialup account at

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/

Obviously you will have to pay for this though...

Neil
18-08-2005, 15:45
*Moved to Dialup forum*

Hom3r
18-08-2005, 16:00
It takes the mick though doesn't it I pay £37.99 for a 3meg connection via a modem that I own (I paid the £150 when I first got broadband, mainly to save the £10 a month rental charge, but this has long since disappeared).

There must be a free ISP that I can use to access my NTL webmail

mcintg
18-08-2005, 16:05
You would have thought that there should be an NTL freephone number

bob_builder
18-08-2005, 16:11
There is a NTL freephone number for those who pay £13.49 per month for the service!

However, it would seem like a sensible idea to let broadband customers use the freephone number for dialup from their own house if broadband was not working.

I do not know of any completely free ISP (you either pay for the calls or for a subscription).

Chris W
18-08-2005, 17:03

Yeh it's called next door neighbours unsecured wirless network isn't it?!

:Sprint: Whoops who said that :angel:

dragon
19-08-2005, 22:09
errm best i can come up is this its not free though think its the same as a local rate call

0845 665 3000

login uk2
pass uk2

how sad is that i can remember the number and login info for uk2.net dialup :Yikes:

DocDutch
20-08-2005, 23:13
errm best i can come up is this its not free though think its the same as a local rate call

0845 665 3000

login uk2
pass uk2

how sad is that i can remember the number and login info for uk2.net dialup :Yikes:

might be sad but I gotta say that this is bloody usefull info for people that might have problems with ntl bb and just want to make sure that it isnt just them...so at least people can check this website for quick help ;) as in my honest opinion I think that more faults are resolved here then at NTL Tech Support :O:Yikes:

Roy MM
21-08-2005, 01:49
Just a small point here do you still need a v90 fitted to use a standby dial up account? i never fitted one on my recent build.

Graham M
21-08-2005, 04:02
of course you need a modulator demodulator to use a dialup account :)

dragon
21-08-2005, 11:11
Just a small point here do you still need a v90 fitted to use a standby dial up account? i never fitted one on my recent build.

you will need a modem. (or as zeph said modulator demoulator, and blimy those things are clever invension isn't it using qam128 for 56k? :erm: )

also it doesnt have to be fitted you could always get a usb modem and only plug it in when you want it.

DocDutch
21-08-2005, 15:39
well what I would do in case I might need to use a dial-up is connecting my mobile to my pc and have it done through that...long live free calls anyways :D

snodvan
24-08-2005, 21:12
Gents

OK, I'm a bit thick so maybe my question has already been answered - but here goes anyway. In my home office I have modern 3gig laptop connected by wireless to the router/ cable (and there are 2 other machines hard wired to the same router). This enables me to take the laptop around the house and still be connected.

However, maybe half a dozen times each year I have the lappy somewhere else in UK or sometimes overseas (Brazil, USA, Spain etc) and need to connect to the net - maybe to access my mail via the webmail or sometimes just to show the customer some info out on the net eg using Google. THAT need will arise in a week or so.

Looks to me like you are saying go for PAYG access? Is that right? Can that "work" from somewhere like Brazil or the USA.

In the past I have used a connected mobile phone - but that was in the days when the company paid the mobile phone bill. Now I am the company, all one of me, and the budget is tight. Anyway I guess I would need a plug in modem card / cable for the mobile and that is a bit ancient now (4 years) so the chances of finding a cable are slim

Advice appreciated

dragon
24-08-2005, 21:18
Gents

OK, I'm a bit thick so maybe my question has already been answered - but here goes anyway. In my home office I have modern 3gig laptop connected by wireless to the router/ cable (and there are 2 other machines hard wired to the same router). This enables me to take the laptop around the house and still be connected.

However, maybe half a dozen times each year I have the lappy somewhere else in UK or sometimes overseas (Brazil, USA, Spain etc) and need to connect to the net - maybe to access my mail via the webmail or sometimes just to show the customer some info out on the net eg using Google. THAT need will arise in a week or so.

Looks to me like you are saying go for PAYG access? Is that right? Can that "work" from somewhere like Brazil or the USA.

In the past I have used a connected mobile phone - but that was in the days when the company paid the mobile phone bill. Now I am the company, all one of me, and the budget is tight. Anyway I guess I would need a plug in modem card / cable for the mobile and that is a bit ancient now (4 years) so the chances of finding a cable are slim

Advice appreciated

if you changed the number to 0044 and removed the first 0 Yes it would work but youd be charged for an international call. (could work out expensive)

you'd be better finding a dialup isp in the country you are visiting, youd probably have to ask the customers permisson to use their phoneline but it would be way cheaper than using your mobile.

snodvan
24-08-2005, 21:28
Thanks

There is never usually a problem using the customers phone line. However, if I am at the offices of a customer I usually beg access to one of their machines and get to the web that way for freebee. The more difficult situation is having to use the phone line in the hotel (horrors) or airport lounge (ok in business class) - or when the customer does not have internet available. Having a 'local' isp is not viable because I could be in any one of half a dozen countries

DocDutch
24-08-2005, 22:10
well I guess that your going to stay at a hotel in Brazil or in the USA...most of the hotels now adays have wireless setup in their premises you just have to check at the hotel if there is a wlan available

dragon
24-08-2005, 23:42
well I guess that your going to stay at a hotel in Brazil or in the USA...most of the hotels now adays have wireless setup in their premises you just have to check at the hotel if there is a wlan available

I agree wifi access is becoming more and more common thesedays and would be your best bet for net access while away from home. Its increasingly common in airports, stations, cafe's thesedays so hopefully you'll be able to find a hotspot somewhere. http://www.jiwire.com/ seems to have some tool to find hotspots (although i have no idea if its any use i just googled wifi hotspot finder and thats what came up)

, if you really do have to fall back to dialup its worth trying for a local isp (i mean some isp such as their eqivilent of our 0845 isps). calling international will end up costing a lot more.

not sure if you'd be able to use one of those international calling cards with a modem :confused: (e.g alpha telecom .etc) but it might be worth looking into.

mobile data is another option but as you already pointed out its very expensive at the moment, as the tech advances hopefully it will become faster and cheaper.

bob_builder
25-08-2005, 07:26
You could get something like an AOL dialup account as they tend to have local numbers in a lot of counties (but that could mess up your other network settings).

A better solution would be to use iPass http://ipass.worldial.com/ who offer a number of business ISP services from 150 counties. You can dial-up using a PAYG phone number (if you are paying the bill) or a freephone number (if you are not paying the bill or are in a hotel room, etc.) and you get billed per minute usage.

snodvan
25-08-2005, 09:05
IPass certainly seems to have attractions. Anyone actually use it?

bob_builder
25-08-2005, 09:07
IPass certainly seems to have attractions. Anyone actually use it?
We use it at work to connect laptops to the VPN whilst out of the office but I have not personally used it myself.

mcintg
25-08-2005, 13:23
Regarding the lack of modem on modern machines, most mobile phones have a built in modem and it's usually just a matter of loading the correct drivers

snodvan
25-08-2005, 20:57
Lappy has a V90 modem built in plus the PCMCIA slot that normally takes the wireless card. I am total ignoramus and have no idea how to link to another wireless network should I find one eg in airport. My mobile phone is past sell by date ie Motorola Timeport. Nice triband but I have NEVER managed to get it to send a call from Brazil. Works great in much ofthe USA and indeed the rest of the world. Just Brazil and Colombia seemed to be a big no. Presume something to do with their networks

DocDutch
25-08-2005, 21:51
Snodvan, your lappy you got WinXP in there with teh latest SP? are you using the software of the card to run the wireless connection or are you running it via Windows Wireless Zero Config?

if not sure check via a right-click on the wireless connection and select "view available wireless networks"

snodvan
27-08-2005, 11:02
Levig

Using XP home with latest SP ie on auto-update so should be fine

Right click on wireless icon brings Windows type pop-up titled "Wireless Network Connection" . On RHS of the pop-up it says

Choose a Wireless Network and below that is a darker blue box listing just my home network (which I called Mylan) telling me it needs a network key and that I am currently connected

on the LHS of the pop up it list menu options as
Network Tasks
- refresh network list
- set up a wireless network for home or a small office
Related Tasks
- Learn about wireless networking
- Change the order of preferred networks
- Change advanced settings

In the latter there is a tick in the box saying use windows to configure my wireless settings