PDA

View Full Version : Caller ID

iadom
12-09-2017, 14:30
Been so long since I last asked this question, is call ID available in this area now?

Shaw/Oldham

Paul
12-09-2017, 20:05
I cannot image there are any areas that dont have this.

BenMcr
12-09-2017, 20:08
All areas can get Caller ID

SnoopZ
12-09-2017, 20:14
Shame we have to pay for it.

Paul
12-09-2017, 20:15
We do ?

Cant says Ive ever noticed Im being charged for it.

SnoopZ
12-09-2017, 22:51
We do ?

Cant says Ive ever noticed Im being charged for it.

Just Checked, it costs £2.25 a month.

Paul
13-09-2017, 04:46
There is no reference to such a charge on my bills. :shrug:

BenMcr
13-09-2017, 08:24
Some people do get it free. Normally it'll show as such.

Features can be added directly to the line sometimes, bypassing the bill, but that doesn't really happen anymore as it causes issues.

iadom
13-09-2017, 09:35
Thanks for replies, for some reason I am not getting auto notification emails ATM.?

Tricky Trevor
26-09-2017, 07:31
Not for much longer

https://www.cable.co.uk/news/phone-providers-to-be-banned-from-charging-for-caller-display-700001945/

SnoopZ
26-09-2017, 10:32
Not for much longer

https://www.cable.co.uk/news/phone-providers-to-be-banned-from-charging-for-caller-display-700001945/

Thanks for the heads up, shame we have to wait a year.

To be honest VM won't lose out on the money they will increase the price to cover any lose.

Mr K
01-11-2017, 12:05
Not for much longer

Any word of when VM will be giving caller display free to all customers to comply with this ruling ? Will we have to wait till next October, and is it something that will just appear or we'll have to opt into ?

heero_yuy
05-11-2017, 16:46
Not for much longer

Excellent news that only callers with a bone-fide diallable number will be connected. That should stop all the out-of-area and with-held ones I get now. Shame we have to wait though.

pip08456
05-11-2017, 17:22
Any word of when VM will be giving caller display free to all customers to comply with this ruling ? Will we have to wait till next October, and is it something that will just appear or we'll have to opt into ?

1st October 2018 at latest that's all my crystal ball is saying.

Mr K
05-11-2017, 18:15
1st October 2018 at latest that's all my crystal ball is saying.

At the same time as a price rise no doubt....

Carth
05-11-2017, 20:10
At the same time as a price rise no doubt....

oh Mr K, you are awful . . but I like you ;)

Mr K
04-06-2018, 09:07

Is this still happening ? Will Caller Display be given free to all customers from October ?

Inactive Digital
04-06-2018, 16:32

Is this still happening ? Will Caller Display be given free to all customers from October ?

I got a Virgin phone line installed in April, at no point was caller display mentioned and its not listed on my bill (it used to be when I previously had a landline, even though it was provided free) but I do have it.
Perhaps it's being included as standard for new installations. Appreciate this doesn't help existing customers a great deal, but something seems to have changed.

iadom
04-06-2018, 17:56
I changed my phone last week to one that is able to display caller ID etc, after several attempts to contact them via 150 I was finally able to get through and get caller ID added to my package. I was informed that there would be a charge of £2.25 for this service. :(

Mr K
05-06-2018, 12:17
4 months till October, VM will have to comply with the Ofcom ruling to make Caller ID free. Are they waiting for the next price rise and claiming this is a 'give away' to compensate? ;)

Mr K
12-06-2018, 21:26
VM have confirmed on the support forum that Caller ID will be made free this year. Be amazed if there isn't a price rise before then so you can take the word 'free' to mean whatever you want !

alanbjames
08-07-2018, 03:28
Can u send me a link to this please, i currently pay for my Caller ID on Virgin.

Mr K
17-07-2018, 09:43
Can u send me a link to this please, i currently pay for my Caller ID on Virgin.

the link is in post #17.

I have contacted VM and they have reluctantly confirmed they'll be complying. However they don't have to make it free till October so guess they'll leave it till then or claim it's a 'freebie' at the time of the next price rise - I know their ways ;) Wish they'd hurry up, I want to screen out Mother-in-law calls....

Paul
17-07-2018, 19:09
Wish they'd hurry up, I want to screen out Mother-in-law calls....Change your number, and dont give it to her ;)

Mr K
17-07-2018, 20:33
Change your number, and dont give it to her ;)

Mrs K would be the fly in the ointment Paul !

alanbjames
05-08-2018, 11:56
Do what i did to my ex mother in law and just insult her. The calls tend to end at that point lol.

Mr K
15-08-2018, 22:29
VM have confirmed on the support forum that Caller ID will be made free this year. Be amazed if there isn't a price rise before then so you can take the word 'free' to mean whatever you want !

Mmm... A price rise just before they have to make Caller Display 'free'. Now there's a surprise !

Chloé Palmas
15-08-2018, 22:39
That is worse for people who don't want the service as it is now baked into the entire package so everyone has to pay. (Whether they need the service or not).

Individual line item'ing can go a long way.

andy_m
06-09-2018, 18:43
Does anybody know if this will be automatically added to accounts, even for people who don't currently have it as an add-on, or if people will need to opt in?

andy_m
09-09-2018, 19:04
I just contacted them and it's been added for free - but I'm still none the wiser as to whether or not it would have been added automatically come October. Was given a 24 hour window for it to activate but I've checked and it was working straight away.

Mr K
21-09-2018, 10:24
I just contacted them and it's been added for free - but I'm still none the wiser as to whether or not it would have been added automatically come October. Was given a 24 hour window for it to activate but I've checked and it was working straight away.

Cheers for that, rung and got free Caller Display added. Seems bizarre you have to ring up and get it, why not just give to everyone ? They haven't exactly advertised this. As predicted, the price rise has more than wiped out the benefit out for most. There's 'free' and VMs interpretation of 'free' ;)

SnoopZ
28-09-2018, 11:23
I think i have just had this added.

How do i enable it as i just phoned from my mobile and no number popped up?

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

How did you check it as i am meant to have it now and dialling from my mobile nothing displays on the phone assuming my house phone isnt too old?

joglynne
28-09-2018, 11:27
Mine just worked straight away, I did have to add/tweak a few numbers to my home phone for people I only contacted by mobile but all the numbers on my VM phone were recognised. I also use Call Blocker (https://www.cprcallblocker.com/) and had no real problems other than having to register spam calls with my main phone rather than by any extension as I had done in the past.

Mr K
28-09-2018, 16:22
I think i have just had this added.

How do i enable it as i just phoned from my mobile and no number popped up?

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

How did you check it as i am meant to have it now and dialling from my mobile nothing displays on the phone assuming my house phone isnt too old?

Mine didn't work till the next day.

SnoopZ
28-09-2018, 18:29
Mine didn't work till the next day.

Does it just work or do I have to change a setting on the phone?

Will dig the manual out over the weekend but the phone is several years old so it may need changing?

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

Got it listed on myvm at last.

Mr K
28-09-2018, 18:41
Does it just work or do I have to change a setting on the phone?

Will dig the manual out over the weekend but the phone is several years old so it may need changing?

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

It should just work if the handset supports it, I didn't change anything. I think most should support it these days.

You can do fun stuff like give the Mother-in-Law her own ring tone. I've given mine 'Ding Dong the Witch is dead' from the Wizard of Oz ;)

SnoopZ
29-09-2018, 10:06
Still not working on my phone and it has been 24hrs since it was added, my phones an old Philips Dect 215 but it does say it supports caller ID in the manual and i don't really want to go and ask a neighbour if i can try theirs.

StevenNT
29-09-2018, 11:16
I called about it for me along with some other odd issues on my landline (no voicemail or outbound caller id), will see what happens in 24 hours on this along with inbound caller id

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Where on My VM is it so I can see if mine was done?

SnoopZ
29-09-2018, 11:56
I called about it for me along with some other odd issues on my landline (no voicemail or outbound caller id), will see what happens in 24 hours on this along with inbound caller id

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Where on My VM is it so I can see if mine was done?

Sign in to MYVM on the first page below where it says My Latest Bill click on view contract then you should have it listed under the Virgin Phone part, assuming you can view your contract online as i couldn't before i rang retentions.

It did take a few hours for my service changes to show up on MYVM though.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=27553&stc=1&d=1538216723

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

Just got the parents to phone me and their name popped up on the phone so it is working from a call from a land line but not from my mobile.

edit

It's now working from my mobile too so it took about 25hrs to start working from when i phoned retentions.

StevenNT
29-09-2018, 11:59
Sign in to MYVM on the first page below where it says My Latest Bill click on view contract then you should have it listed under the Virgin Phone part, assuming you can view your contract online as i couldn't before i rang retentions.

It did take a few hours for my service changes to show up on MYVM though.

I'll wait a few hours to see if it actually appears for me too, I have an e-Contract so I'm able to view it

SnoopZ
29-09-2018, 12:09
I wonder if everyone who are currently paying a charge for caller ID will get an email telling them of their bill reduction seeing as from the 1st October they can't charge for it?

StevenNT
29-09-2018, 17:04
I wonder if everyone who are currently paying a charge for caller ID will get an email telling them of their bill reduction seeing as from the 1st October they can't charge for it?

Not sure, but I called up to help with my dad's VM Phone and Broadband package that's considered legacy now (and paying too much), he was paying for it and when I did the change it was thrown in for free. Not quite what you asked but looks like they are dropping the charges on any package change. But hopefully they will drop it even if you don't call.

Mr K
29-09-2018, 23:37
Not sure, but I called up to help with my dad's VM Phone and Broadband package that's considered legacy now (and paying too much), he was paying for it and when I did the change it was thrown in for free. Not quite what you asked but looks like they are dropping the charges on any package change. But hopefully they will drop it even if you don't call.

Ofcom say no one can charge for Caller Display come October, so VM will be on the naughty step if they charge anyone ! Why they aren't rolling this out automatically and letting it generally be known it's now free is strange; can't imagine there is any extra cost involved as the technology is there.

paul0363
30-09-2018, 16:28
Still not working on my phone and it has been 24hrs since it was added, my phones an old Philips Dect 215 but it does say it supports caller ID in the manual and i don't really want to go and ask a neighbour if i can try theirs.

It depends how old your phone is. Some older phones only supported BT's implementation of caller display. Cable uses a different signalling method but all newer phones should be compatible with both.

Have a look here (http://electronics-diy.com/schematics/738/cli_faq.htm#Q_6). This is an old document and some of the links in it don't work but it will give you some info about caller display in the UK.

SnoopZ
30-09-2018, 19:06
It depends how old your phone is. Some older phones only supported BT's implementation of caller display. Cable uses a different signalling method but all newer phones should be compatible with both.

Have a look here (http://electronics-diy.com/schematics/738/cli_faq.htm#Q_6). This is an old document and some of the links in it don't work but it will give you some info about caller display in the UK.

Luckily it started working 25hrs after it was activated. :)

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

I'll wait a few hours to see if it actually appears for me too, I have an e-Contract so I'm able to view it

Is it working yet?

StevenNT
01-10-2018, 08:00
Is it working yet?

Nope, not sure what underlying issue I have and @VirginMedia on twitter have failed to reply on my follow up yesterday.

Outbound Caller ID don't work (never had since my install in July) and neither inbound ID either. Something on my phone line is wrong but gained voicemail which never worked before.

SnoopZ
01-10-2018, 08:09
Drop a message on VM forum it'll take a few days for a reply but I have seen posts where they fix issues like this.

StevenNT
01-10-2018, 08:17
Drop a message on VM forum it'll take a few days for a reply but I have seen posts where they fix issues like this.

I'll give that a try, as calling 150 seems to be futile for really bizarre issues like this one.

StevenNT
01-10-2018, 13:02
Had a reply via Twitter they said call 150..... ugh

SnoopZ
01-10-2018, 15:15
Had a reply via Twitter they said call 150..... ugh

Yer best put a good post together on their forum, probably take atleast a week to get a reply though.

Is it active on MyVM? if it is then can you try a different phone?

StevenNT
01-10-2018, 16:24
Yer best put a good post together on their forum, probably take atleast a week to get a reply though.

Is it active on MyVM? if it is then can you try a different phone?

It's active on My VM. It used to work on BT before I left and also used to work when I was with VM previously before that with the same model phone so know it's not my physical phone at fault.

I did do the dance and call 150 when I got in, and did get though to 2nd tech line support who fixed my outgoing issue on the phone exchange but the incoming one still don't work and 2nd line support booked an engineer out for tomorrow oddly.

I did have a post on the community forum but will update that.

StevenNT
03-10-2018, 16:14
and now my issues are fixed, was more involved than I expected. tech had to get someone from "networks" to come out and do their stuff as it was a more complex underlying issue I had it seemed. But now it's working I'm happy.

Angua
25-10-2018, 13:17
Popped up on my phone without asking.

SnoopZ
25-10-2018, 13:36
I hope that everyone that is paying extra for it gets the cost removed from their monthly bills.

BenMcr
25-10-2018, 14:45
That's already happened.

Mr K
25-10-2018, 18:14
That's already happened.

Which will be more than cancelled out by the current price rise. Even Dick Turpin wore a mask !

nashville
25-10-2018, 18:16
No harm in asking for it free,

BenMcr
25-10-2018, 18:39
It's already free

djmagnifique
01-11-2018, 21:47
Caller ID has recently been added to my phone line. I didn't ask for it to be added but I have recently re-contracted so that may be why. NOw that it has been added my phone rings in a strange way. It does a short ring as if the caller has hung up straight away and then it rings normally. slightly annoying.

BenMcr
02-11-2018, 08:29
That could be down to your handset.

Recent cordless phones may suppress the first ring to work out what to do with the call.

djmagnifique
02-11-2018, 16:11
That could be down to your handset.

Recent cordless phones may suppress the first ring to work out what to do with the call.

The handset is a BT Graphite 2500 that i've had for around 10 years so not that recent. Probably sometrhing i'll just have to learn to live with.

dave_dph
10-11-2018, 09:26
Are you in the red zone?

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

If so, the DMS switch has always done a single ring before starting the standard double ring once Caller ID is active on the line.