PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Advance line rental

Ken W
22-11-2016, 21:42
I have paid advance line rental for some years and it expires November this year, Virgin normally send me a reminder emails before it is due to be renewed but this year I have not heard any think. Do Virgin still off advance line rental?

pip08456
22-11-2016, 21:51
AFIK ring them if you have any doubts.

Paul
22-11-2016, 23:22
I bought it a couple of months ago, so afaik, yes, its still available.

Ken W
23-11-2016, 03:40
I bought it a couple of months ago, so afaik, yes, its still available.

I hate phoning VM as I have a hearing impairment and have difficultly hearing the prompts and even when I finally speak to an agent I advise
them of my hearing impairment and ask them to speak clearly they just ramble on and I cannot under stand them.

MalteseFalcon
23-11-2016, 09:24
You are supposed to get reminders, this year however my relatives didn't. You will have to talk to them, or if not get in touch with their team on Twitter and they will try to help you there. Obviously they won't take payment but will probably be able to help in some other way.

Ken W
23-11-2016, 09:32
You are supposed to get reminders, this year however my relatives didn't. You will have to talk to them, or if not get in touch with their team on Twitter and they will try to help you there. Obviously they won't take payment but will probably be able to help in some other way.

Thank you, I will bite the bullet and try and contact them.

nodrogd
23-11-2016, 10:25
LRS renewal is totally automated via 150.
Go to "change your services", & to the phone section.
If you already have LRS it will offer you a renewal.

arcimedes
23-11-2016, 10:46

Its a pity they dont tell you that when you get the renewal notification. However I've now done it and it was quite painless.

RichardCoulter
23-11-2016, 12:21
I hate phoning VM as I have a hearing impairment and have difficultly hearing the prompts and even when I finally speak to an agent I advise
them of my hearing impairment and ask them to speak clearly they just ramble on and I cannot under stand them.

You'd have had a real problem with the one I spoke to who was slurring his words.

Thanks for this tip, never knew this was possible.

A word of warning about paying line rental in advance. It's not refundable in any circumstances as I found out when I decided to cancel due to the price rise.

It's as bad as putting yourself into another contract and having to stay or lose money by not staying ;)

This was never mentioned to me at any point and I was going to challenge this, but they gave me a V6 and a good deal, so I decided to stay.

pip08456
23-11-2016, 12:34
In other words you were bought.

RichardCoulter
23-11-2016, 12:38

Exactly.

denphone
23-11-2016, 12:54

No different to what Sky , BT and all the others do.

Ken W
23-11-2016, 12:59

That has always been the case.

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

You'd have had a real problem with the one I spoke to who was slurring his words. .

I have just paid it and the lady took my details and sent a confirming email.

Thank you for your help

pip08456
23-11-2016, 13:00
I didn't say I had a problem with it.

Paul
23-11-2016, 14:59
Everyone here knows you attitude towards Richard, that comment was aimed to be derogotory, and we all know it.
If I were you i'd stop replying to him, or put him on ignore, before you post yourself into more hot water.

trickytree
23-11-2016, 15:07
Both times I had it I did not know when it was going to expire and the next bill jumped up in cost.
I have it now but only again after calling them up and adding it to the account.

They don't seem to want to advertise it or want anyone on it from the impression I get.

pip08456
23-11-2016, 17:01
Everyone here knows you attitude towards Richard, that comment was aimed to be derogotory, and we all know it.
If I were you i'd stop replying to him, or put him on ignore, before you post yourself into more hot water.

How wrong you are, you can ask Richard yourself. We have had some good discussions in another thread.

Mr K
24-11-2016, 17:54

A word of warning about paying line rental in advance. It's not refundable in any circumstances as I found out when I decided to cancel due to the price rise.

Top advice.

If you are looking to 're-negotiate', even if out of contract, if you've paid LRS they've got you over a barrel. Not quite a good a deal as it used to be, I've let mine expire.
If VM offer me a reasonable deal when I ring retentions in the near future, i'll probably go for it again, but only for the length of the '12 month contracted in' period.

RichardCoulter
25-11-2016, 11:58
Top advice.

If you are looking to 're-negotiate', even if out of contract, if you've paid LRS they've got you over a barrel. Not quite a good a deal as it used to be, I've let mine expire.
If VM offer me a reasonable deal when I ring retentions in the near future, i'll probably go for it again, but only for the length of the '12 month contracted in' period.

I'm tempted to do the same to align my LRS with my contract.

Otherwise, in essence, customers are putting themselves into another contract in return for the discount.

There is also pressure to make companies stop forcing customers to take a landline, what happens to us if this is abolished seeing as there are no refunds in any circumstances?

pip08456
25-11-2016, 12:05

Otherwise, in essence, customers are putting themselves into another contract in return for the discount.

There is also pressure to make companies stop forcing customers to take a landline, what happens to us if this is abolished seeing as there are no refunds in any circumstances?

I should imagine it will be the same as Vodaphne have done. The cost of line rental is absorbed into your BB monthly rental so the cost doesn't change, there's just no longer a separate line rental element.

1andrew1
27-11-2016, 23:42
I have just paid it and the lady took my details and sent a confirming email.
Thank you for your help
It's worth checking your next bill, my line rental card payment was credited to my account as a general payment and not to buy line rental saver.

Good idea to align all contracts. :)

There is no pressure to stop companies selling landlines. I think what you may be thinking about is the requirement by the ASA to include landline costs within the advertised costs for broadband. That comes from its research which found that "81% of participants were unable to calculate correctly the total cost of a broadband contract when asked to do so." (https://www.asa.org.uk/News-resources/Media-Centre/2016/Insight-We-confirm-tougher-approach-to-broadband-price-claims-in-ads.aspx#.WDtuy-CLTnA)

MalteseFalcon
28-11-2016, 07:36
It's worth checking your next bill, my line rental card payment was credited to my account as a general payment and not to buy line rental saver.

There is no pressure to stop companies selling landlines. I think what you may be thinking about is the requirement by the ASA to include landline costs within the advertised costs for broadband. That comes from its research which found that "81% of participants were unable to calculate correctly the total cost of a broadband contract when asked to do so." (https://www.asa.org.uk/News-resources/Media-Centre/2016/Insight-We-confirm-tougher-approach-to-broadband-price-claims-in-ads.aspx#.WDtuy-CLTnA)

It is on all bills, because I noticed this and queried it with them. They told me they put this on the bill, but as long as there is a date for the LRS to expire then it has been applied to the LRS. Why they can't put it on the bill as LSR is beyond me but I give up understanding things now.

Ken W
28-11-2016, 12:56

I had email confirming the line rental.
<
Thanks for taking Line Rental Saver for the next 12 months. We're just letting you know we've received your payment of £196.00 by debit/credit card.

By paying up front for a year's line rental, you've cut £32.00 from the full price of £228.00.>

Paul
28-11-2016, 12:56
That happened to mine as well, I noticed it after my next bill payment wasnt taken, and queried it - they found I was over £100 in credit and had to re-apply the advanced rental (or do some other trick) for it to kick in properly.

Wild Oscar
06-12-2016, 14:15
I had email confirming the line rental.
<
Thanks for taking Line Rental Saver for the next 12 months. We're just letting you know we've received your payment of £196.00 by debit/credit card.

By paying up front for a year's line rental, you've cut £32.00 from the full price of £228.00.>

Wasn't it £144 last year?? ... another ripoff coming in under the radar ... and that's not much of a saving really is it!

BenMcr
06-12-2016, 14:17
It was £164 at one point last year, but the LRS amount does change more often than the Line Rental does.

It's an offer, not a guaranteed part of the service. There is no obligation for Virgin Media to offer it at all.

Ken W
06-12-2016, 14:30
Wasn't it £144 last year?? ... another ripoff coming in under the radar ... and that's not much of a saving really is it!

When I first took advantage of advanced line rental quite a few years ago the saving was about £50, since them the line rental has increase the savings are about £30.

Mr K
06-12-2016, 14:31
It's an offer, not a guaranteed part of the service. There is no obligation for Virgin Media to offer it at all.

Its just not a great offer. Not much of a saving any longer and effectively ties you in for a year, contracted or not. Its very much in VMs interest to sign you up.

RobboEdin
06-12-2016, 15:03
It represents a 14% discount. I would happily pay annually in advance for everything if it came with a 14% discount.
You should also align paying LRS with your annual negotiation with Retentions.

Ken W
06-12-2016, 16:19
It represents a 14% discount. I would happily pay annually in advance for everything if it came with a 14% discount.
You should also align paying LRS with your annual negotiation with Retentions.

I am in contract until August 2017

RobboEdin
06-12-2016, 17:02
I am in contract until August 2017

Sorry, my statement about aligning LRS and Retentions new contract was a general piece of advice, not specific to your situation.