PDA

View Full Version : Voip services

Travelstar
18-04-2016, 12:50
When I moved to VM fairly recently I managed to ditch my old BT fixed line service and converted it to a full Voip service using Voipfone. At £2.40 a month including VAT seems a bit of a no brainer. Anyone else gone down this path?

Matthew
20-04-2016, 23:55
I use Vonage, bit more money but quite happy with them. Get an 0300 number, no spam calls, no one has it I just use it for dialing out when working remotely doing support.

Travelstar
22-04-2016, 16:04
I looked at Vonage but the price seemed too expensive for what they were offering.

I managed to get my number ported from BT to Voipfone which was fairly painless and purchased a Panasonic DECT Voip compatible phone. At £2.40 a month for an incoming line with fairly cheap call rates, I really can't complain. I am actually surprised more people are not doing it, especially for those of us who have moved to Virgin and have no need to pay line rental (especially £17 a month).

psul
22-04-2016, 22:55
Been using sipgate for a few years now. PAYG no monthly fee, cheap calls ,local number,costs me about £20 a year all in.

Travelstar
25-04-2016, 13:18
Been using sipgate for a few years now. PAYG no monthly fee, cheap calls ,local number,costs me about £20 a year all in.

I considered Sipgate based on price, but the problem is that they are not part of any of the UK telecoms ombudsmen groups, so if something goes wrong it is harder to complain (from memory they are based in Germany).

dave_dph
30-04-2016, 19:59
I've been using voip.co.uk service over my VM broadband for a good few years now. Unfortunately they no longer offer service to new residential customers. I also have a line with Sipgate.

alanbjames
06-05-2016, 07:42
How much on average do these VOIP providers charge for say a local call or an 0845 call?

Matthew
11-05-2016, 23:31
I pay £15 for my vonage package now which was up from £10/11 because I want to include mobile calls on it and as far as I am aware my 08 numbers are included. You can go here and test it out with a package and number you want to call: https://www.vonage.co.uk/call-plans/rates/

qwakuk
24-05-2016, 15:56
I looked at Vonage but the price seemed too expensive for what they were offering.

I managed to get my number ported from BT to Voipfone which was fairly painless and purchased a Panasonic DECT Voip compatible phone. At £2.40 a month for an incoming line with fairly cheap call rates, I really can't complain. I am actually surprised more people are not doing it, especially for those of us who have moved to Virgin and have no need to pay line rental (especially £17 a month).

I am seriously considering this when my current 12 month up front payment ceases. Have a Panasonic Dect system with 3 handsets, presumably if I get one of the Voip phone adapaters such as the Cisco SPA112 i just plug that into my router, the phone into the Cisco and sign up with Sipgate etc ?

rhyds
25-05-2016, 08:36
We've used voipfone in an office at work and it works well most of the time. However there have been one or two long outages (one caused by the Telecity data centre in London going down) which would make me wary of using it as my primary phone service (I live in an area with poor mobile reception)